Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Runoffs notes from Jim Daniels (Page 4)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 4 of 7 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  next » 

Author Topic: Runoffs notes from Jim Daniels
Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
We also DO NOT make adjustments for the Runoffs and Runoffs only. Surveys were sent out after lat years runoffs and very,very few wanted cars adjusted for the Runoffs primarily.[/QB]

I think that's the right approach. The bottom line is that building a car for one race (Run Offs) is the purview of a very limited number of racers who run Nationals.

That said, it sounds like we still have options to get the cars closer IF people are willing to spend some money and deal with change. You have to hand it to us racers though, we neither want to spend any money to fix the problem nor be satisfied with how things are!

My apologies to the SMAC/CRB in advance...

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Finding a way to equal out the torque curves a bit so that moving to a different track DOESN'T favor one car or another.

-bw

Bruce
There is one option for that... A single car class. Second best would be allow 1.8 engines in 1.6 cars. Neither are popular. ANY OTHER FIX, is just that, A FIX or PATCH.
We have parity, now we are if we are searching for equality.. That s another story all together. We also DO NOT make adjustments for the Runoffs and Runoffs only. Surveys were sent out after lat years runoffs and very,very few wanted cars adjusted for the Runoffs primarily. That is against my personal philoshy as that is all I really care about? [Frown]
Jim

It is possible to make the cars more the same and it can be done with weight and plates. The '99 could get a smaller plate and less weight to make it perform more like the other cars regardless of the track. Close the HP and weight gaps and we have even better parity.
Tom,

I am no expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express; but I don't think HP is the issue. It's torque in most cases and tracks. I don't think any reasonable reduction in plate size on the 99 will bring it in line with a 1.6, and if you coupled it with a weight reduction it will probably accelerate faster causing even more disparity.

I believe the only real way to equalize is to get everyone over on a 1.8L engine. To me, a 1.8L conversion option needs to be available for the 1.6 drivers with correct weight and plate. People can upgrade based on their percieved need and/or budget.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cajun Miata Man:

I believe the only real way to equalize is to get everyone over on a 1.8L engine. To me, a 1.8L conversion option needs to be available for the 1.6 drivers with correct weight and plate. People can upgrade based on their percieved need and/or budget.

Bingo

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Arrgh -

If the cars are equal everywhere, but the 99 dominates at the runoffs track, why would you build anything but a 99?

Tony's always been quick at RA (anyone remember the Milwaukee Cups). Maybe he'll build a 90 for next year since he's only banged his head against the wall once.

People vote with they're pocketbook. Until the 1.6 gets more, people won't build them. If you allow a 1.6 some part of a motor swap, AFM, header, cams, different ECU chip, Cam gear, flywheel, magic clutch, weight back to 2255 (way old school - who needs a dash bar?) then you have a real discussion.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Finding a way to equal out the torque curves a bit so that moving to a different track DOESN'T favor one car or another.

-bw

Bruce
There is one option for that... A single car class. Second best would be allow 1.8 engines in 1.6 cars. Neither are popular. ANY OTHER FIX, is just that, A FIX or PATCH.
We have parity, now we are if we are searching for equality.. That s another story all together. We also DO NOT make adjustments for the Runoffs and Runoffs only. Surveys were sent out after lat years runoffs and very,very few wanted cars adjusted for the Runoffs primarily. That is against my personal philoshy as that is all I really care about? [Frown]
Jim

It is possible to make the cars more the same and it can be done with weight and plates. The '99 could get a smaller plate and less weight to make it perform more like the other cars regardless of the track. Close the HP and weight gaps and we have even better parity.
Tom,

I am no expert, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express; but I don't think HP is the issue. It's torque in most cases and tracks. I don't think any reasonable reduction in plate size on the 99 will bring it in line with a 1.6, and if you coupled it with a weight reduction it will probably accelerate faster causing even more disparity.

I would agree that getting everyone to a 1.8 helps a lot, but it seems like we're limited at this late stage of the year in SCCA to weight and plate adjustments due to rules or an unwillingness among rulesmakers to go beyond that. That and many 1.6 owners are not willing to invest in the conversion.

Getting the '94 - '97 cars on par with the '99's could be done with weight adjustments but that won't help the 1.6 much.

If the goal (and I don't think we even know what the goal of the SMAC and CRB is on this matter) is to close the gap between the cars such that we reduce track specific differences, then you have to start by slowing down (reducing power) of the '99. More weight on that car alone will won't get the job done IMO.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Getting the '94 - '97 cars on par with the '99's could be done with weight adjustments but that won't help the 1.6 much.
[/QB]

I think Mr Coello showed the 94/97 weren't near as far off as many suggested? [Wink] But I do believe they are still a little heavy. I think if we put the youngest Coello brother back in a 1.6, he would demonstrate the 1.6 needs to be 2300 lbs + [duck]

quote:
If the goal (and I don't think we even know what the goal of the SMAC and CRB is on this matter) [/QB]

I think the goal of the SMAC and CRB has been spelled out pretty clearly multiple times before? We want to sustain the health and well being of this class. We want to accomplish this by balancing the cars and making them as close to "spec" as we can for ALL TRACKS in the country, not anyone specific track. We don't want to create a COTY scenario as we believe this will cause us to lose member who become frustrated building new cars every year. We would rather get the cars close as possible so that that any car can compete on any track. while we may be there yet, we are very close and we are constantly monitoring the class. One car WILL Always be best at a certain track unless we go to a single car class. We went through extensive measures collecting data last year to support our decisions and had several data analysis experts sift through our data and even shared the data with the community. Little has changed since then except the numerous changes made to 94/97 car, the end result, that car is now is closer to spec, but still a tad heavy. I wouldn't expect many changes other than a possible weight reduction to that car for 2011.
Any changes with regard to 1.8 in all cars would be a rules change and be effective no sooner than 1/1/12. At this point, SMAC can do nothing for 2011 other than weight and plates adjustments. NOTHING!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

I think Mr Coello showed the 94/97 weren't near as far off as many suggested? [Wink] But I do believe they are still a little heavy. I think if we put the youngest Coello brother back in a 1.6, he would demonstrate the 1.6 needs to be 2300 lbs + [duck]

quote:
If the goal (and I don't think we even know what the goal of the SMAC and CRB is on this matter) [/QB]

I think the goal of the SMAC and CRB has been spelled out pretty clearly multiple times before? We want to sustain the health and well being of this class. We want to accomplish this by balancing the cars and making them as close to "spec" as we can for ALL TRACKS in the country, not anyone specific track. We don't want to create a COTY scenario as we believe this will cause us to lose member who become frustrated building new cars every year. We would rather get the cars close as possible so that that any car can compete on any track. while we may be there yet, we are very close and we are constantly monitoring the class. One car WILL Always be best at a certain track unless we go to a single car class. We went through extensive measures collecting data last year to support our decisions and had several data analysis experts sift through our data and even shared the data with the community. Little has changed since then except the numerous changes made to 94/97 car, the end result, that car is now is closer to spec, but still a tad heavy. I wouldn't expect many changes other than a possible weight reduction to that car for 2011.
Any changes with regard to 1.8 in all cars would be a rules change and be effective no sooner than 1/1/12. At this point, SMAC can do nothing for 2011 other than weight and plates adjustments. NOTHING!
Jim [/QB]

You've confirmed that for 2011 weight and plate is all that can be adjusted. I think some people not aware of that.

Overall I think the work in recent years done to evaluate the cars and make adjustments in a very tough climate (lots of varied and competing opinions among the membership and tough SCCA leadership to navigate through) has been very very good. It's a tough and often thankless job I'm sure.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
]You've confirmed that for 2011 weight and plate is all that can be adjusted. I think some people not aware of that.

[/QB]

The suspension proposal and open timing and FP is going to BOD this month. If that goes, that will be for 1/1/11.. Past that, weight and plate adjustments ONLY until 1/1/12
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

KW78

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KW78     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
If the goal (and I don't think we even know what the goal of the SMAC and CRB is on this matter)

Jim [/QB]

You've confirmed that for 2011 weight and plate is all that can be adjusted. I think some people not aware of that.

Overall I think the work in recent years done to evaluate the cars and make adjustments in a very tough climate (lots of varied and competing opinions among the membership and tough SCCA leadership to navigate through) has been very very good. It's a tough and often thankless job I'm sure. [/QB]

This definitely can be a thankless job. I am on the AS Adhoc, but ran SM for the last 2 years as well.

[soapbox]

Many things get beat to death here over and over, but one item I have not seen discussion on is the AERO! The 99's have phenomenally better Aero. That IMO is why they race so good at RA. We have a short track here that is a HP track (In my mind that means hard braking, and long accel pulls) that only has a top speed of 105-ish, and also a tight infield.

At our N/N here, I got data on sunday that was very interesting. A 1.6 had the pole, my 1.8 ended up with the lap record, and a 99 won. Why? Aero. The short of it was I had a top speed of 103 by myself one lap, pushed the 1.6 to a top speed of 107 the next, and drafted without being able to push the 99 to 104 the next.

At the end of the race the 99 pulled out and passed at top end, had car position for the win.

My conclusion is that the NA punches a huge hole (relatively) in the air.

The 99 punches a small hole in the air.

The 99 have the benefit of being able to draft up on the NA's, and the NA's can not on the 99's.

I don't really lose to a 99 coming off a corner, so I don't think the tq/hp to weight adjustment via a restrictor helps much. At the top end tho, the 99 motor just has a lot less work to do with the better aero.

Add the factory rear spoiler to the 99's? Or a good Nascar flap bisecting the roof!

BTW, the 47mm restrictor w. the 25# slowed my car,it did not improve it. It just hurt the handling and the power to weight was a wash. I think the 94/7 should be back at 2375, and given cold air intake, or flywheel, or both.

NOTE TO BOD, the rule's season concept has gutted the ability of the ADHOCs to listen to the members and grow the class. The ADHOCs are generally in the class and the experts on the class, so tieing their hands makes no sense!

My [twocents]

Kyle

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just have Mazda & Toyo bring 63 equally prepared cars to the runoffs. [banghead]

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
... Second best would be allow 1.8 engines in 1.6 cars. Neither are popular.

Jim, I haven't heard anyone who's against allowing the 1.8 upgrade. Did I miss a post or is this input from another source than this forum?

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
... Second best would be allow 1.8 engines in 1.6 cars. Neither are popular.

Jim, I haven't heard anyone who's against allowing the 1.8 upgrade. Did I miss a post or is this input from another source than this forum?

-Bruce

Just a bunch of 1.6 guys worried about being eventually "forced into it".

Should probably make it only optional for a few years to give people a chance to finish off their 1.6 engines, then leave the 1.6 engine behind and consider uncorking the 1.8.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The 99's have phenomenally better Aero
Do you have data to support that? We haven't escalated to wind tunnels, have we?

'Strongbad'

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 28
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 'Strongbad'     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe have the 99's run without the top! That should punch a bigger hole through the air and make the cars look better.

Anybody have real data on running the car with/out the top?

Joseph Strong

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have the 99s run with one flat tire.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cd is .38 and frontal are can't be that different for all years in SM, so aero should be the same unless someone's running helicopter tape [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
quote:
Do you have data to support that? We haven't escalated to wind tunnels, have we?
Of course there is no data, talking about aero in a spec series where the cars have a top speed of ~135 is ridiculous.

Here's a bombshell: Andrew's 99 won the race with NO FRONT LIP! Imagine how much faster he'd have gone if Mazda still built them! [Roll Eyes]

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gorrilla didn't have one either.

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty sure the '99 is more aero, but it shouldn't count for a dramatic difference. The math doesn't support the videos. We don't go fast enough to see little contours make huge differences. Drag is a factor of velocity ^3 (I may have that wrong being I was more concerned with drinking fluids in college than studying them.) so the effects would maginify significantly moving through 4th and 5th gears. I don't see that in videos.

I haven't raced many 99s to see for myself but I did race against a very SM looking miata while driving a miata with a masonite top, shark fins, and no rear window. We ran out of 5th gear. Many differences there but we didn't see one car or another accelerate away during the long runs from 90 to terminal velocity.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

The front dam is coming off my car this weekend - that's what's been holding me back.

Can you buy helicopter tape at Home Depot?

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KW78:
The 99's have phenomenally better Aero.

It's not the aero that gives them a better top speed, it the HP.

Think about Bonneville racers. They don't care about weight at all. In fact they add weight to gain stability.

Top speed is about two things. HP and aero.

The aero is the same. But the 99s have more HP (and more weight). But the weight does not impact terminal velocity, just acceleration.

-The other Kyle

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
quote:
quote:
Of course there is no data, talking about aero in a spec series where the cars have a top speed of ~135 is ridiculous.

Here's a bombshell: Andrew's 99 won the race with NO FRONT LIP! Imagine how much faster he'd have gone if Mazda still built them! [Roll Eyes]

135 only in Florida, most of us never see 125 [Wink] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Must be when they are using the Daytona aero package!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
We don't want to create a COTY scenario as we believe this will cause us to lose member who become frustrated building new cars every year.
Jim

I am glad we do not have the COTY -- is it the COTDecade, COTCentury or COTMillennium? [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-bw

Bruce
Jim

Tom,

I agree mostly. We had good parity between the NA 1.6 and NA 1.8 so why not force the NBs to the NA 1.8 motor. [Smile] Just as likely as your idea.

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

KW78

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KW78     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by disquek:
quote:
Originally posted by KW78:
The 99's have phenomenally better Aero.

It's not the aero that gives them a better top speed, it the HP.

Think about Bonneville racers. They don't care about weight at all. In fact they add weight to gain stability.

Top speed is about two things. HP and aero.

The aero is the same. But the 99s have more HP (and more weight). But the weight does not impact terminal velocity, just acceleration.

-The other Kyle

The Aero is absolutely not the same. I gave the short story of the data, we have tons of it.

The video's absolutely support this conclusion. At the runoffs this year I could draft right up to the few NA cars, and it took a pack of two or more 99's for the same effect. I passed alot of them so I was paying attention.

The 99 owner in my example here is quick and has owned all 3 cars at the same time, with data. His 99 actually has slightly worse HP to weight than his 1.8, and higher top speeds.

Like someone said - it is cubed, so the effect in 4th and 5th is dramatic. Yes aero effects are generally dismissed in the rest of the racing world on sub 125MPH situations, but we are talking 120HP, and we are talking drag, not downforce.

The NA is a dirty bird!

Everyone can do their own experiment, just run without the hardtop.

Kyle

What is the delta Cd, NA vs NB?

Not a novel thought, but I would certainly support EVERYBODY buying a sealed 1.8 crate.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
quote:
quote:

135 only in Florida, most of us never see 125 [Wink] [Big Grin] [Eek!]
An old 4.10 geared 1.8 pushing a 99 or 1.6 in neutral through the trioval is fun [thumbsup]

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-bw

Bruce
Jim

Tom,

I agree mostly. We had good parity between the NA 1.6 and NA 1.8 so why not force the NBs to the NA 1.8 motor. [Smile] Just as likely as your idea.
My suggestion was not forcing anyone. It was an option for those that feel they need it. Maybe I would put in a NA 1.8L if I could run lower wieght and a bigger restrictor if it was an option. Might be a better combination. Why don't you write in and suggest it?

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA