Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » BOD decisions on 2011 rules changes (Page 4)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 4 of 4 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: BOD decisions on 2011 rules changes
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 94-97 went up to 2400 lbs.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
I am requesting that a competitive adjustment be made effective 1/1/2011 to allow the use of any clutch and pressure plate, aluminum flywheel, and allow the use of new cams which will allow for 4-6 hp and increased torque to allow the 1.6 to be competitive with the 1999 and 1994-97 model years.

Updated numbers:

Horsepower:
99s: 2450#/127hp = 19.29#/hp
1.8s: 2375#/125hp = 19.0#/hp
1.6s: 2285#/128hp = 17.85#/hp (+5hp)
~ 7.47% spread

Torque:
99s: 2450#/119ft-lbs = 20.59#/ft-lbs
1.8s: 2375#/114ft-lbs = 20.83#/ft-lbs
1.6s: 2285#/111ft-lbs = 20.58#/ft-lbs (+3ft-lbs)
~ 1.2% spread

quote:
Originally posted by 'Strongbad'
And BTW, real parity is when a $15k car can compete head to head with a $+30k car. Didn't this class start because it was cheap (relative term) and fun?

And why not a $10k car? Or a $5k car? [Roll Eyes]

Numbers skewed. Well, what it takes to get there in a 1.6 and what the real '99 numbers are.

My '99 I did for the Runoffs, Drago motor, was 125 on the Runoffs dyno NO TIMING etc. and the dyno was low. He could not draft with most '99s in the top ten.

As for the 1.6, who has that power, what public dyno run with who watching? With cams and 4 different pro heads I only got that number and we dont have cams anymore.

Dont quote numbers unless you own and the cars, engineer the cars etc., is misleading at best.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:
quote:
I am requesting that a competitive adjustment be made effective 1/1/2011 to allow the use of any clutch and pressure plate, aluminum flywheel, and allow the use of new cams which will allow for 4-6 hp and increased torque to allow the 1.6 to be competitive with the 1999 and 1994-97 model years.

Updated numbers:

Horsepower:
99s: 2450#/127hp = 19.29#/hp
1.8s: 2375#/125hp = 19.0#/hp
1.6s: 2285#/128hp = 17.85#/hp (+5hp)
~ 7.47% spread

Torque:
99s: 2450#/119ft-lbs = 20.59#/ft-lbs
1.8s: 2375#/114ft-lbs = 20.83#/ft-lbs
1.6s: 2285#/111ft-lbs = 20.58#/ft-lbs (+3ft-lbs)
~ 1.2% spread

quote:
Originally posted by 'Strongbad'
And BTW, real parity is when a $15k car can compete head to head with a $+30k car. Didn't this class start because it was cheap (relative term) and fun?

And why not a $10k car? Or a $5k car? [Roll Eyes]

In the August Fastrack, the 1.6 lost 10lbs and is now at 2275.

I'm happy that they didn't pass that "upgrade". Given the limited number's of NB's, maybe they should instead require them to backdate their suspension to the NA!

That would be alright by me!

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, I like it. If there is a need to equal , less weight or restrictor change for the other cars. I am sure they would't mind to lose some weight, but some may not like losing the Overdog status.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to say AGAIN... Nothing but weight and plate can be changed until 2012. Period. ANYTHING more than that is a rules change.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess other 1.6 owners can write and ask that the 99 and 94-97 be given more weight and smaller rp's or they can write to the BOD and ask them why one type of change is a rule that gives a car a performance advantage and another change is a only a "competition adjustment." [banghead]

My mistake on the 94-97 "weight reduction" comment. [flamed]

--------------------
Paul McLester

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Never say never! If enough 1.6 owners write to the CRB....the BOD can reverse the BS difference between a rule and a "competition adjustment." Nice move to wait until the end of the rule changing season to give the legal 99's more power and then tell the rest of us no changes until 2012! I guess other 1.6 owners can write and ask that the 99 and 94-97 be given more weight and smaller rp's and that would be okay?

Interesting perspective on the ethics of the SMAC and CRB.

While I would prefer you and other 1.6 owners not promote both extra weight and smaller restrictor size for my 99, I believe the SCCA process allows that to happen at any time during 2011.

I'm actually hoping to succeed in winning special dispensation to run low weight to compensate for limited talent....

Craig J

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i just wanna know when will the California kid play his hand in this game of draw poker ...
will he 'pull' a 3 - 9 to go with his 2400 on the '99 ??
then raise by going 4 - 3 with 2325 on the '94-'97's ??
If so, whats the BOD gonna do, meet and call or,
fold?
this game is for a million dollar plus pot
[scratchchin]

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Never say never! If enough 1.6 owners write to the CRB....the BOD can reverse the BS difference between a rule and a "competition adjustment." Nice move to wait until the end of the rule changing season to give the legal 99's more power and then tell the rest of us no changes until 2012! I guess other 1.6 owners can write and ask that the 99 and 94-97 be given more weight and smaller rp's and that would be okay?

Paul,
You are a friend but you are totally incorrect on your assertion that 99s are over-dogs. Correct me if I am wrong but don't you only run at Florida tracks? If that is the case the data does not support your claim that the 1.6 needs help. They have lots of wins here even though they no longer dominate the grid. Why do you think the 1.6s need help again? Maybe they do at RA although I believe they are a lot closer then a few 1.6 drivers would like to admit. If you think it would be fair to give 1.6s cams and a flywheel you are in the wrong class; sorry! The goal is NOT to make to 1.6 the car to have by making it an over dog but just to make the car equal which has already been done. 1.6s can and does win down here so I don't understand what you are going on about.
I doubt you will see much of a change anyway as the FP/Timing on the 99 will NOT speed up the front runners as most already have those in place; which is what I said on here about 6 months. A 99 with timing and fuel pressure is on par with a well built and tuned 1.6 in the SE. These mods are nothing new; 1.6s 1.8s, and 99s have been using ECUs (yes 1.6s and 1.8s too), fuel pressure, and timing for a longtime. The new changes will do little other then to keep people from buying expensive ECUs for ANY of the cars.
I also think the few that wrote letters against the suspension upgrade made a huge mistake. Why anybody would complain about that option is beyond me.
As far as putting a smaller plate on the 99 go ahead. Most of us will get the HP back anyway (you might want to bring eye drops to the track). We are not worried about weight either as most front running cars can negate that handicap as well.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will just have to go back to driving my down on power 1.6! [yep]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
i just wanna know when will the California kid play his hand in this game of draw poker ...
will he 'pull' a 3 - 9 to go with his 2400 on the '99 ??
then raise by going 4 - 3 with 2325 on the '94-'97's ??
If so, whats the BOD gonna do, meet and call or,
fold?
this game is for a million dollar plus pot
[scratchchin]

More than the $ number it can literally ruin some region's race programs if not handled correctly.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I will just have to go back to driving my down on power 1.6! [yep]

Gatoratty
I googled your results and all that I found was Sebring double SARRC @ Sebring. You were 13+ seconds off the pace in the dry and 19+ seconds off the pace in the wet? No offense, but I'm not sure your the guy that I would want to be taking advice from regarding anything, most of all parity. Your car prep skills and driving seem to have lots of room for improvement within the confines of the current rules, Questioning the integrity of the volunteers, that was a nice touch.
J~

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B(Kuch) Kucera 45:
I feel if we can get the car's closer at all track's the car counts will go up per event....

...Don't get me wrong,I think we are close just not perfect yet.

Perfect on all tracks is a pipe dream. It can not possibly happen until the cars are the same in chassis and powerplant. There will always be tracks that suits one car year or the other better.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JMorris:
Your car prep skills and driving seem to have lots of room for improvement within the confines of the current rules
J~ [/QB]

Mr Morris;
suggest you direct that same comment to JD (#76),
whose car prep and driving skills are unmatched by anyone posting on this board,
and who is basicly saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99.

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm disappointed that the subframe didn't pass... to me, it makes more sense than opening up FP and Timing. And to say that 'ECU's may not be modified' and then in the same breath say 'we have no way to police it' is inexcusable.

Once again, a chance was missed to stand up for what's right. Timing would have been a great way to make sure that ECU's (at least the timing curves) aren't modified. There's a hard ceiling for timing in the stock ECU, what's wrong with spec'ing that and sticking with it? Subframes are not that much $$ and would have been another step toward parity.

I am scratching my head right now.

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Saini:
I'm disappointed that the subframe didn't pass... to me, it makes more sense than opening up FP and Timing. And to say that 'ECU's may not be modified' and then in the same breath say 'we have no way to police it' is inexcusable.

Once again, a chance was missed to stand up for what's right. Timing would have been a great way to make sure that ECU's (at least the timing curves) aren't modified. There's a hard ceiling for timing in the stock ECU, what's wrong with spec'ing that and sticking with it? Subframes are not that much $$ and would have been another step toward parity.

I am scratching my head right now.

Jason
Don't scratch too hard, you have a lot of hair up their, never can tell what you might find. [Eek!]

There were boxes at the Runoffs that read 23.5 degrees max timing advance with obd2 scanners that were actually advancing to 28/29 degrees?
So while I agree in principle, I think the open timing was the only way to go.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

quote:
quote:
Your car prep skills and driving seem to have lots of room for improvement within the confines of the current rules
J~

Mr Morris;
whose car prep and driving skills are unmatched by anyone posting on this board,
and who is basicly saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99. [/QB]

Carlos
I would say JD hasnt raced a National in SM since 07. He hasnt built,prepped and driven his own 1.6 since 2005 pro series. All rides since 2005 were in cars provided to him by friends and prep shops. I'm sure if you ask him, he would have changed prep level on all of them, even my first 99 in 2006, he destroyed the field in that car, set track record that will never be broken.

I disagree with both of your positions. Which is fine, we can do so respectfully. Something tells me if you were buding a 94 car, we wouldnt be having these conversations, maybe another one? [Big Grin]

For what its worth, If Jim decides to build,prep and race a 1.6 car and is only as competitive as you two suggest a 1.6 can be, I would have a different opinion. Please point out a 1.6 built,prepped and driven close to that level that isn't competitive? Fair enough?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

guest driver

Jim;
actually it's been since June of 2007 for me but, whose counting.
[Big Grin]
We will "agree to respectfully disagree" ...

i do happen to have a '97 sitting in my driveway,
ya wanna go 43-2300?? i'll take it, weight kills that car, much more than the '99?
unless you listen to Jam who don't care bout no stinkin weight, or plate for that matter. his dyno may be smarter than yours?

[Razz]

MegaModerator

quote:
Jim;
[Razz]

You see what happened to Herr Schumacher after 3 year layoff and he got in championship winning car? [duck]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
quote:
J~

Mr Morris;
and who is basicly saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99.

Carlos
I would say JD hasnt raced a National in SM since 07. He hasnt built,prepped and driven his own 1.6 since 2005 pro series. All rides since 2005 were in cars provided to him by friends and prep shops. I'm sure if you ask him, he would have changed prep level on all of them, even my first 99 in 2006, he destroyed the field in that car, set track record that will never be broken.

I disagree with both of your positions. Which is fine, we can do so respectfully. Something tells me if you were buding a 94 car, we wouldnt be having these conversations, maybe another one? [Big Grin]

For what its worth, If Jim decides to build,prep and race a 1.6 car and is only as competitive as you two suggest a 1.6 can be, I would have a different opinion. Please point out a 1.6 built,prepped and driven close to that level that isn't competitive? Fair enough?[/QB]

All true! That lap was ITS times, I'm awesome..... lol. Nothing like mixing it up with T3 cars and lapping half the SM field. Bob Thornton's rendition was killer as I recall. Was special to win the first National in our division for SM after all those years of working to get that status, I will never forget that feeling.

That said, your car is faster now and legal [duck]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Site Founder

It needs to be said for those who don't know.

Jim Drago and I are very close friends. Our wives go on vacation together and we socialize outside this class etc. Listed in wills kind of friendship.

At the same time we can disagree on the class, parity etc. I NEVER question his intent and know his positions are what he feels are right. He is a very loyal SCCA member putting class first. This is why many of us supported him for the CRB.

I've been at this for 22 seasons now; intent, tech shed and parity in a range of classes. Although I complain and poke, I KNOW we are much better off with this group than any past volunteer staffs I can remember. Let's not lose sight of that! (and I don't mean to belittle any of the good deeds done by any of the good guys/gals of the past)

Now, back to them being totally off base on just about all decisions.....

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Jim;
[Razz]

You see what happened to Herr Schumacher after 3 year layoff and he got in championship winning car? [duck]
Yup; he's still the best, the fastest, the wisests of them all. Just like my boy Nando
[Big Grin]
They just need the same as me;
the right car!
and a decent tire (hoosierdaddy), them no stickum toyos are no fun to drive.
and a F duct (DDG mufflergate),
and a '99 to give me a tow everywhere
[Smash]
well, in my case, i'll settle for 1/10th their cash flow ...

guest driver

quote:
Jim;

i do happen to have a '97 sitting in my driveway,
ya wanna go 43-2300?? i'll take it, weight kills that car, much more than the '99?
unless you listen to Jam who don't care bout no stinkin weight, or plate for that matter. his dyno may be smarter than yours?

[Razz]

oh, ya missed the important part,
selective reading or still thinking about it ??
[scratchchin]

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

well, maybe my view is a bit naive and inexperienced, but i have just completed building my second 1.6 and have a simple question.

IF, on paper, the 1.6 seems to be better than the 1.8 or 99, there are more of them, and they are cheaper, then why are the 'top' people still choosing to run NB's?

Now since i've been racing in sm (2006) I have always noticed that even if i came out of a corner faster than cars in front of me, the cars would just muscle away even if I was drafting. With this said, I honestly don't care. I feel that if I can still out-drive the person in front of me when their car is better prepared, then i have truly accomplished something. The time when I start caring if someone is pulling a car length or two on me because they have a fatter wallet is the time when I quit because all in all - nobody is going to go 'pro' from spec miata and this is all for fun... right?

Then again, this is on a regional level...

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
J~

Mr Morris;
and who is basically saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99. [/QB]

JD can correct me if I am wrong but I believe JD said that the 1.6 can't win at RA; which may or may not be true. However it does no good for us that have not been there (or who will never go there) to claim JD's statement to be true or not. That is why I have repeatedly said that I don't know about RA. But I do know about the SE tracks and with the possible exception of Road Atlanta the 1.6 can and does win as much as the 99. Since no other changes besides weight and plate can be done now I don't see anything happening. If you slow down the 99 anymore they will not be on equal footing at the majority of the tracks. It seems pretty simple, if the 1.6 needs help at RA give it help at that track (if that is possible); anything else will hurt a lot of cars at other tracks.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

guest driver

Jamie;
please ask T.Bee if he thinks he can turn a low 36 at Sebring in his 1.6 this coming January.
please ask von C if he thinks he can turn a low 36 at Sebring in Jeff's 1.6.
it's never been done, not even close and those are the two best in my opinion. And those times (consistantly) are what it will take to podium at the Sebring Nat in just over 2 months, you've done them in your '99.
agreed?
then please ask Jeff if he thinks 'anyone' could turn a low 43 at Rd America in a LEGAL 1.6.
It will take consistant 43's to win next year at Rd AM RunOffs. agreed?
Then please ask Jeff if he feels 'anyone' could get a 43 turning 1.6 through tech at the RunOffs next year, not just SCCA tech (or lack thereof) but 'competitors' tech.
what part of N - O is so hard to understand...
respectfully of course.

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Jamie;
please ask T.Bee if he thinks he can turn a low 36 at Sebring this coming January.
it's never been done, not even close. And those times (consistantly) are what it would take to podium at the Sebring Nat in just over 2 months.
agreed?
then please ask Jeff if he thinks 'anyone' could turn a low 43 at Rd America in a LEGAL 1.6.
It will take consistant 43's to win next year at Rd AM. agreed?
Then please ask Jeff if he feels anyone could get a 43 turning 1.6 through tech at the RunOffs next year, not just SCCA tech (or lack thereof) but 'competitors' tech.
respectfully of course.

I think you will see some of these guys campaigning 1.6s next year so you may just get your answer [Wink]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Ok here is your answer! They both say it is possible to win in a 1.6 at the January National at Sebring. Jeff and Von C have turned equally as fast times in a 1.6 and 99; your facts are just wrong. And I don't know if TB will run a 36 or a 46 but if he runs that 1.6 in the race there is no doubt in my mind that he will be right at the front. The last long course race saw TB and myself leave the rest of the field (he in his 1.6 and me in my 99). We were nose to tail after halfway and the rain came out. Other cars in the line up where Von C, Cliff Brown, Cliffy Chains, etc so it was a strong field.
Good luck with your theories!
Respectfully of course. [Smile]
JT

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
I'm actually hoping to succeed in winning special dispensation to run low weight to compensate for limited talent....

Craig J

that would be nice -- with my limited talent my weight would have to be about 1800 [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

guest driver

those times are the benchmarks to shoot for,
those 3 drivers mentioned above are the proven best in Florida (along with Chip '260' van V),
so if they are racing 1.6's, i will get my answer soon enough.
Thanks
[Smile]

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
quote:
quote:
J~

Mr Morris;
and who is basically saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99.

JD can correct me if I am wrong but I believe JD said that the 1.6 can't win at RA; which may or may not be true. However it does no good for us that have not been there (or who will never go there) to claim JD's statement to be true or not. That is why I have repeatedly said that I don't know about RA. But I do know about the SE tracks and with the possible exception of Road Atlanta the 1.6 can and does win as much as the 99. Since no other changes besides weight and plate can be done now I don't see anything happening. If you slow down the 99 anymore they will not be on equal footing at the majority of the tracks. It seems pretty simple, if the 1.6 needs help at RA give it help at that track (if that is possible); anything else will hurt a lot of cars at other tracks.[/QB]
Having a tech shed is a major factor in my opinions Jamie. That said, the ARRC and the Runoffs are the only measuring sticks in my mind.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
quote:
quote:
quote:
J~

Mr Morris;
and who is basically saying the very same thing re the 1.6is inability to keep up with the '99.

JD can correct me if I am wrong but I believe JD said that the 1.6 can't win at RA; which may or may not be true. However it does no good for us that have not been there (or who will never go there) to claim JD's statement to be true or not. That is why I have repeatedly said that I don't know about RA. But I do know about the SE tracks and with the possible exception of Road Atlanta the 1.6 can and does win as much as the 99. Since no other changes besides weight and plate can be done now I don't see anything happening. If you slow down the 99 anymore they will not be on equal footing at the majority of the tracks. It seems pretty simple, if the 1.6 needs help at RA give it help at that track (if that is possible); anything else will hurt a lot of cars at other tracks.

Having a tech shed is a major factor in my opinions Jamie. That said, the ARRC and the Runoffs are the only measuring sticks in my mind. [/QB]
Fair enough! It is hard to measure if we don't know what is being measured.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Jamie;
please ask T.Bee if he thinks he can turn a low 36 at Sebring in his 1.6 this coming January.
it's never been done, not even close and those are the two best in my opinion. And those times (consistantly) are what it will take to podium at the Sebring Nat in just over 2 months, you've done them in your '99.
agreed?

UHH, can I call Alex Bolanos to the stand please, and with fear of incriminating myself, I too will take that stand.

Alex B in my 1.6 ....2:36.5 back when I was "really down on power"

Last Jan National The infamous "DOP" 1.6 turned a 2:37.0 in traffic with no draft at Sebring with my non driving dumb ass behind the wheel.

At Homestead the poor 1.6's just had nothing,
Pole on Sat was in a 1.6 rental car @ 1:36.5
Pole on Sun was Von C in a 99 @ 1:38.813
My dumb ass in a "DOP" 1.6 was @ 1:38.889
76/1000 of a second with 2hp less than today?

To answer your question it is not only possible for a good driver in a 1.6 to turn mid-to low 36's @ Sebring, but at Homestead, The run to the strip is ruled by the lighter car....
Dumb ass not inluded-Must provide your own!!

P.S. T-Bag in his 1.6 @ Jan Natl'= 2:35.9ish

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:
quote:
Jamie;
agreed?

UHH, can I call Alex Bolanos to the stand please, and with fear of incriminating myself, I too will take that stand.

Alex B in my 1.6 ....2:36.5 back when I was "really down on power"

Last Jan National The infamous "DOP" 1.6 turned a 2:37.0 in traffic with no draft at Sebring with my non driving dumb ass behind the wheel.

At Homestead the poor 1.6's just had nothing,
Pole on Sat was in a 1.6 rental car @ 1:36.5
Pole on Sun was Von C in a 99 @ 1:38.813
My dumb ass in a "DOP" 1.6 was @ 1:38.889
76/1000 of a second with 2hp less than today?

To answer your question it is not only possible for a good driver in a 1.6 to turn mid-to low 36's @ Sebring, but at Homestead, The run to the strip is ruled by the lighter car....
Dumb ass not inluded-Must provide your own!!

P.S. T-Bag in his 1.6 @ Jan Natl'= 2:35.9ish

Hey Chains;
call Alex B to the stand, at least i'll be talkin to a real racer,
talk to me after you've beaten von C in SM 10 out of 11, wet or dry,
the chipster 4 out of 6,
Tom Long 2 out of 3,
and Buras, just once.
all while i was racing a 117 hp rental 1.6 (Evans and BSI).
and get your lap times straight, i use transponder times not wristwatch times,
got no time for wannabees,
and learn to put a smilie on your posts, that's why i respect Jam even though i "respectfully" disagree.
[boggled]

Cliffy Chains

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Hey Chains;
call Alex B to the stand, at least i'll be talkin to a real racer,
talk to me after you've beaten von C in SM 10 out of 11, wet or dry,
the chipster 4 out of 6,
Tom Long 2 out of 3,
and Buras, just once.
all while i was racing a 117 hp rental 1.6 (Evans and BSI).
and get your lap times straight, i use transponder times not wristwatch times,
got no time for wannabees,
and learn to put a smilie on your posts, that's why i respect Jam even though i "respectfully" disagree.

Carlos, While I know you can beat Von C, Chip, Buras and even my wannabee non driving "smiling" self.......all this without even backing your car out of the trailer??? [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin] [yep]

Get your transponder, not your wristwatch, and your suit with "Real Racer" on it, Oh and get your car, Head on down... [Smile]

This "wannabee" will be at the Jan Nationals, with a bunch of others all waiting in GREAT ANTICIPATION for Carlos the LEGEND to finally be on the entry list. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

ARRC 2010 Champ

Cliffy the last time Carlos raced timing and scoring was using a sundial. I looked through my old videos and came across the last race Carlos entered. [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnFLPV2yDY

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

guest driver

[rolling on floor laughin]
good one Jamie, but that was actually a film of this years RunOffs
[flamed]
my bad, and my apologies to all that have endured this hijack drivel between an old "legend in his own mind" and a chains wearing coyote about to blow his [butthead] up
[Smile]
stay outta it Jam, we cool.
[Cool]

Cliffy Chains

Yeah, we all good here with my newest BFF !! [Wink]

-

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually just spent the last twenty minutes watching Ben Hurs link...

AWESOME!!!

A true victory. Those guys did not drive a chick car, they were arguing over true horse power, the black horses were fed "corn fed beef" while the white horses were fed "Nitrogen Enhanced Corn Fed Beef"..

"Where’s the love man" Spoken by Fillmore.

I'll give it to ya Carlos, you were a wheel man in the day. Give it a few races it will come back.

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
[rolling on floor laughin]
good one Jamie, but that was actually a film of this years RunOffs
[flamed]
my bad, and my apologies to all that have endured this hijack drivel between an old "legend in his own mind" and a chains wearing coyote about to blow his [butthead] up
[Smile]
stay outta it Jam, we cool.
[Cool]

You know its just in fun!!!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

hoverducky Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hoverducky     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Cliffy the last time Carlos raced timing and scoring was using a sundial. I looked through my old videos and came across the last race Carlos entered. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnFLPV2yDY

Is that Martinsville?

Scott

Page 4 of 4 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: