Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » why spec miata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: why spec miata
ajcjr

Region: NY
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ajcjr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

so i am narrowing my decision down to spec miata and spec racer ford. Right now i am racing a tag 125cc kart but i am looking to get into a real car.

i know this is a pure SM forum but what are the pros and cons to SM? What made you choose this class.

Thanks

--------------------
Winner of the Grand Am Chip Foose Pirelli Mazda RX8 giveaway!

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I know who I'm talking to,are you on the left or the right?

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

ajcjr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ajcjr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

lol middle, i am trying to resize the picture

--------------------

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I chose SM because of cost, initial and on going. Also the usually larger race fields. This may vary depending on where you live. I also love the competition, you will always have someone to race with. If you just want to drive really fast and don't care about actual racing, them SM is not for you. I'm also happy I chose SM because of the people I've met, some really great folks. Not sure in other regions, but here in SoCal there aren't any SRF that run with NASA, with the Miata you can run both clubs and have someone to race with. This site too has been a HUGE help.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ajcjr:

Okay, I'm not interested in this thread anymore.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I joined this fraternity because the Miata guys seemed to be the ones having the most fun on track at Audi and BMW HPDEs in my area...and passing me in corners with less than half the HP and 2WD. I had wanted to go racing since I started HPDE 6 years ago and thought that SM was the cheapest way to do so (guess I was wrong about the cheap part b/c it keeps getting more pricey by the month). Oddly none of those Miatas that I ran with when I started race with SCCA.

I was adopted by a group of SM racers (my school instructors) at my second drivers school last year and now we're essentially family. I'd take a bullet for these guys. We come from a variety of professional backgrounds, range in age from 30 to 60+ and live in 3 different states. We have the most fun at our regional races and the attitude is infectiously spreading. We're trying to get to know our flaggers, as we keep them entertained, lined up nose to tail having a ball out there. Plus they throw the best parties [thumbsup]

Most of us do this for fun and the vibrant social scene with some healthy competition as the cherry on top. For whatever reason, this class draws some great personalities and people that like to have a good time off the track. It also draws some great drivers, as can be seen at the national races across the country. I can't comment about the SRF guys, as the classes in my region don't seem to cross-pollinate much and I've never met any of them. Our double-dipping last season introduced us to some of the ITS/STU/SSB crowd and they're good guys too whom we'll be seeing alot more of next season.

I look forward to each and every race weekend mostly because I get to hang out with my buddies for a few days, grill meat, drink beer, fart, bust each other's balls and make fun of the drivers that take this sport too seriously...and fix our cars with all of this going on. It's an excuse to get away for the weekend, sometimes scare ourselves on track while pushing the limit and have a good time. Why do this if you're not having fun?

I'm the new guy to this group but it didn't take long to realize that we're all in it to have fun.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why race SM? I've only been doing this for 2 years, but I've watched a lot of other classes and by far, this is the most competitive and inclusive class there is. Period.

This is the first car I've ever built and ever raced. My number of posts is 1/3 asking for help, 1/3 trying to help, and 1/3 being a smartass.

If I could relay all the stories of all the times people who see I want to do this have encouraged me, helped work on the car, given me pointers, talked me down when I'm frustrated, or even just given the old "yeah shit happens, it's racing" speach, I'd have to write a damn novel. With the help of those people I've become a whole lot better than when I started.

Sure, in the top echelons of guys who's cars spend more time on the dyno than the track, the game is a little different. For the rest of us, it's race your buds as hard as you can, help them bleed the brakes between sessions, band together to fix anyone who's broke, eat lunch, exchange stories, talk shit, then race again in the afternoon, and look forward to doing it all again soon.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Spence Gatrell

Region: Oregon
Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The big differences i have found between SRF and SM:

As far as i now, every SM racer i have met owns, wrenches, his own car.

As i have only seen, 90% of SRF drivers are arrive and drive (oregon region).

Who would you prefer to run with?

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SRF is cheaper in the long run if you want to try and get to the pointy end. SM can run more races/clases and is cheaper to get in. You can see behind you in a SM. SRF sound like tractors. SM Has Mazda support.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rent one of each. They are completely different cars. I have driven both.

The SRF is a lot of fun if you are in a competitive region. The SRF weighs ~1600lbs with similar HP. Yeah it sounds like crap, but man, it handles awesome. It's also very safe. SRF has spec sealed components. repairable tub. The lightweight part also helps with trailer and tow vehicle. The bad part...open cockpit has dangers and inconveniences, expensive wheels, single source supply of parts (good and bad).

SM, super cheap to get started on, big fields, very fun to race, very reliable, cheap replacement tubs, they sound cool. Bad things...well, look at all the recent threads on parity, driving, and cheating but I think it's all par for the course in a competitive class.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's pretty close. The cars do sound better inside the car, which was a surprising bonus. As for just driving all by yourself, I think the SRF is a lot more fun and rewarding to drive. SRF's have real shocks that can control the suspension over bumps, they're fast loose, have brakes, and are just plain faster, and precision is rewarded more.

If you want close racing it's definitely there. I bought a used car with a decent history from a local and went down the whole front stretch at Road America with the track record holder without either of us giving up or getting an inch. The cars are REALLY close.

One thing the SRF has going for it that nobody else has is the CSR trackside support program, odds are good you'll have a CSR at your race weekend and they can help with just about anything. Downside is there aren't many people who own and wrench on their own cars, and that IS a downside. Lots of people own them and have a CSR service them at the track, which is great, but not quite the same feel as in SM.

Both classes are great but in the end SM is the better "entry level" class because of the cost of entry and crossover possibilities. Still, compared to even a Touring 3 effort, SRF is CHEAP.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you take a look at the fields in Rolex, Conti?Kini, ALMS, etc you will find a whole bunch of SM drivers who paid their dues and honed their skills in this ultra competitive class. It absolutely is the greatest feeder pipeline to pro sports car racing.

If you can get to the pointy end in SM, you should be able to get to the pointy end in any form of sports car racing. Its an exceptionally intense skills development arena.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ajcjr

Thanks for the responses.

I dont mind wrenching on the car and either way i would go i would transport my own car.

Im not to worried about getting to the front of either pack at first. This is a hobby for me, i want to improve my driving,enjoy the competition and make some friends at the track. Eventually i would like to get to the top of the pack but with time.

Whats weird is i see some sm cars going for 6k and some for 30k, so im guessing the 6k will be way in the back?

Decisions, decisions!!

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I sold my division-championship winning 1.6 which still holds the track record at my local track for $12k. It depends what you want.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM is cheaper to get into and if you like to tinker and will find enjoyment (or be able to tolerate) the parity debate and rule changes, you will have more fun.

SRF is more expensive to buy the car, but cheaper to run at the front year-over-year. SRFs are closer to equal than SMs.

There are more "rubbin' is racin'" fans driving SMs than SRFs. For example, the entire WDC Region. [Wink]

A top SM and a top SRF go for about the same.

Both cars are "slow", sound and look like crap, and will either impress nobody, or will impress people equally.

Disclaimer: There will be at least one person with at least one piece of evidence that contradicts each and every one of the above claims. Such is everything. Such is life. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out.

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can't speak for SRF...but just completed our first year in SM. No way you'll be dissapointed if you go this route! As for car costs, I think the more you pay the better documented the car may be. Important parts will be new or at least fresh. At the low end of cost you'll get an all original car with a cage stuffed in it and 150k+ on all parts! But I don't think anyone will argue that if you took a top driver and put him either car(cheap or expensive)the difference would make you scratch your head [Eek!] [Big Grin]

You can spend it up front or over the long run as you improve...your personality and desire will determine what you eventially spend. But regardless, you'll be racing someone no matter where you are in the pack [yep]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

trey

Region: houston
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had both , here's my 2 cents :

- The racing is great in either class , talent is deep , always somebody to race with

- If you like to tinker / develop / ect ... you will like SM

- If you hate to tinker / develop / ect ... you will like SRF

- Parity is better in SRF ... Don't go there looking for an equipment advantage ... Anybody with decent set up skills can get one in the sweet spot.

- SM's make better noise

- Both cars reward a smooth driving style ... Both cars penalize anything that scrubs speed

- SRF are easier to work on , easier to repair , accept minor damage better

- Avoid SRF if you are hyper sensitive to fiberglass work

- For me ... easier to run up front in SRF

- Some of the parts on the SRF are very expensive

Hope that helps

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK here i come [tipsy]

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

as for which class you want too run ask your driver coach.

for me I run both on any given weekend.

do you care what other drivers say, you have 2 chicks next to you . your penis should say rolex 24

you retard [help]

as for economics the same both classes

driving 2 different styles

open cock pit or closed

rain or snow

good witch or bad

get in the car and race both you potato head
and make your own pick.

end this now please see you at seabring nat or a local 7-11 near you

i approve this message

andrew von c

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mr von charbonneau:
as for which class you want too run ask your driver coach.

for me I run both on any given weekend.

do you care what other drivers say, you have 2 chicks next to you . your penis should say rolex 24

you retard [help]

as for economics the same both classes

driving 2 different styles

open cock pit or closed

rain or snow

good witch or bad

get in the car and race both you potato head
and make your own pick.

end this now please see you at seabring nat or a local 7-11 near you

i approve this message

andrew von c

You said penis! [Eek!]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

ajcjr

If i had a budget i would run Rolex 24, hopefully one day!!

Trey what do you race now and why?

Coming from a drag racing career about 3 years ago i dont mind tinkering but does this mean you are always trying and buying the latest trick of the week?

--------------------

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dont be fooled by cars that are available for 6K or 30K.

I paid 5800 for my 1.6L years ago put a few more thousand in it, and have ran it since. 2 years ago I built one of those 30K 99' models, IMHO I think the 1.6 taught me more about competitive driving.

The 30K 99' is collecting dust for now as my back up car, so don't judge a book by the price alone. [thumbsup]

Either way I would race soap boxes if you told me everyone fromn the SM community was moving to it, SM and the drivers you find in SM are some of the best in the country and a perfect place to hone your skills. I suggest racing in the SE if your bringing those girls with you, much safer down here, I'll help keep an eye on them for u. [Big Grin]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

ajcjr

thanks, i am here up in the northeast. One reason i like the SM also is because i can race with SCCA, NASA, EMRA. I do not think NASA has a SRF class.

--------------------

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I owned two SRRs, still have a few track records out there.

Both have equal high and low points.

Learning curve in SM is easier, much less setup knowledge needed.

SRF easier to be "equal" on car prep but MUCH harder to be "equal" behind the wheel.

Obviously a top ten driver in SRF can come to SM and win, none have gone the other way.

In the end, cost and learning curve should lead you first to SM.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

trey

Region: houston
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
I owned two SRRs, still have a few track records out there.

Both have equal high and low points.

Learning curve in SM is easier, much less setup knowledge needed.

SRF easier to be "equal" on car prep but MUCH harder to be "equal" behind the wheel.

Obviously a top ten driver in SRF can come to SM and win, none have gone the other way.

Jim that's interesting ... My last 3 nationals in SRF I finished in position 2/3/4 ... I built an early SM , and could not get within 2 seconds of the fast guys. I was finishing something like 6th in an 8 car field

It's been awhile , maybe I need to try again

Rich Verified Driver

I think JD's talking about races that actually matter. I won my first SRF race too. [Wink]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the same choice/decision a year ago. Opted for SM due to less expensive parts (assuming a built car not all tired out already), bigger fields (always someone to run with), and cross over to other classes. Plus there's a lot of knowledge out there, coaching, etc.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ajcjr:

Don't do that!

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: