Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Mixed Starts (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Mixed Starts
cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If a steward doesn't give an 'authorized' split start all the class competitors can give themselves one. Just let every other car leave the grid and then go out at the end of the field.

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
This isn't rocket science and you don't need another pace car. You talk to the front row of the second group, give them clear instructions and start them out a bit behind the first group with the warning that if they do anything stupid they will be ejected from the event.

I've seen this done literally 100's of times in my short racing career.

This shit's almost criminal.

I disagree. Everyone should know how the start will work, not just the front row. Otherwise it can result in far too much confusion that can lead to accidents with people rows back trying to figure out when the race is actually starting...are the front rows going? Is it fair to move out of line when we pass the bridge? Too much room for people to get antsy and make poor choices.
All those answers are found in the rulebook.
That's putting an awful lot of faith in the hope that everyone read, remembers, understands, and follows the rules during perhaps the most dangerous part of car racing. If people don't know what to do when a car has a mechanical and drops out of line on the pace lap, are you really sure they know what to do on a split start with no pace car? [Wink]
I get where you're coming from but if you can't read the rulebook and abide by simple start procedures then....

other sports beckon...

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

iambhooper

Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Hoop, the "Batmobile" is cool.

Thanks! I wished it ran (or I ran) as cool as it looked... the electrical Gremlin bit me in the @$$ at the start of ECR 2... only to totally disapear after sitting on the bench for over an hour! [banghead]

Oh well, I have 4 month's to fix everything.

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

iambhooper

Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cooleyjb:
If a steward doesn't give an 'authorized' split start all the class competitors can give themselves one. Just let every other car leave the grid and then go out at the end of the field.

Good luck getting everyone to agree to that.. you know there will be some tool who think's "I just got moved to the class pole"

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

DickCDawg Verified Driver

Region: East Tennessee
Car #: 39
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DickCDawg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here are a couple of 360 deg views of the VIR-SARRC start last Sunday, from about the 18th row. Wish I had the foresight Mr. Thill had to start at the back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19AGmEyVh7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyKXwgAZ9o

Sure would like to see some video from closer to the front so I can replay in my mind as I practice body repair over the winter...

Dick H.
#39SM - SeDiv North

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is my video.

Fowler is in the “Down on Power” Blue and White 1.6 ahead to my left!

As the green flag waves I get the jump on the #4 red SRF ahead, and move to overtake him in the gap. Almost immediately the black SRF on my left moves right and goes for the same gap. No problem, but then the Red SRF moves over and hits my right wheel, pushing me into the black SRF who comes across our bows.

In slow motion you can see and hear the impact of the Red SRF against my car at frame 1:01.10, and then my impact against the black SRF at frame 1:02.17. In real time these two contacts are a fraction of a second apart. You will have to look for his white raised wheel arch through the “STEYN” lettering on my windscreen.

No way to avoid it. I am definitely part of the accident. If I hadn’t gone for the gap, who knows what would have happened.

Guess I am going the get crucified now! Flame suit on
[Roll Eyes]

Goblins Go VIR 2010 - SAR...t - Mixed Grid SM and SRF

Large File (8mb) might be better to "right click and save as"

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

iambhooper

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Here is my video.

No way to avoid it. I am definitely part of the accident. If I hadn’t gone for the gap, who knows what would have happened.

Trust me, 2nd guessing will only produce headache's. Yes, for every action there is an equal an opposite... yadda, yadda, yadda.

quote:
[Roll Eyes]

No, we will still blame the Spec Wrecker driver!

Speaking of which, I don't recognize that car. Is he a regular, or does he only race sprint's? SRF require a lot of seat time for the driver to get comfortable with the way they handle.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny
Is the flame suit the new one or the old one? [Razz]

I also wasnt sure what "Steyn" to look focus on [duck]

[ 10-27-2010, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Luv you too Jim!!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SRF should have never been there is the first place.

Should have been a split start Danny, way to big of a field not to have done that.

Unfair to both classes, IMHO

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
[QB] Here is my video.

[Roll Eyes]

Danny; since you asked and you have your flame suit on ...

First you jumped out of line to "fill that gap" 'before' the green was waved, was 1/4 way by the red SRF as the green came out, you put yourself as the meat in a sandwich, committed to the mercy of the racing gods.
Then as red SRF closes on yellow SRF in front of him, he fients left to create a lane and pass, problem is you were there, with your front bumper almost up to his ear, he nudges you over into black SRF who was crowding you on your left, and the rest is history.
P.S.
also realize the track veers to the right just past the starters stand so some folks may drift left a bit before entering ...
also realize that start cluster f*#k had very little to do with SM - SRF starts, could have - has happened in an an all SM field when folks get a bit too anxious, ... a little patience goes a long way, especially at the start when you are P-7 row 4 with SRF's all around you ...
like the red dude who was clueless or didn't care he has a guy up to his ear and the black dude playing games forcing everyones hand by squeezing in knowing he still had a guy on his inside.
Conclusion?
sh#t happens, but understanding why it happens is the key for it maybe not happening again?
Just my opinion, may be wrong ...
PPS. Drago, what video did you watch??

EDIT : watched the video again 3X -
agree at 33% each, all 3 equally responsible,
also have to respect a guy who posts his own in car video for all to throw opinions out
[thumbsup] to D.S.

[ 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: guest driver ]

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now I hav to go watch again [Frown] Thanks alot Carlos [Smile]

cant realy make out green flag. I missed the car moving left. 33% each
[Big Grin] Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thankfully, NASA Great Lakes uses split starts, and puts the Miata's up front, by the time we are caught we have singled out and you have room to deal with the faster cars. We just have issues of them putting to many cars on track. Its like racing in the Mall parking lot. No comment on fault, Sh*t happens in battle.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Hotshoe

Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hotshoe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Danny,

.... Definitely a hard call.

... I started the race before this one, from the pole ( ITR ) and was really surprised how late the starter brought out the green. I actually started slowing down the field because I was beginning to think we were not getting the green.

.... My weekend in SM started out sort of rough and got rougher....I got spun early during qualifying by an SRF coming out onto the front stretch and flat spotted all four tires. So that sort of messed up my session. After the Cheif Steward had his say, The driver of the SRF came and apologized.... So much for the new set of Bricks [Mad]

.... Anyway, at the start of the SM race I was right in the middle of the pile when the wreck started. And got helped into it more from behind. But when the smoke cleared I was on the other side about four car lengths behind you. Flat spotted two more tires ( six total for the weekend ) And finished the race in 6th.... What a way to end the season...Considering how it started at CMP with the big pile up.... All I can say is....WOW.. It has got to be better next year [scratchchin]

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
[QB] Here is my video.

[Roll Eyes]

Danny; since you asked and you have your flame suit on ...

First you jumped out of line to "fill that gap" 'before' the green was waved, was 1/4 way by the red SRF as the green came out, you put yourself as the meat in a sandwich, committed to the mercy of the racing gods.
Then as red SRF closes on yellow SRF in front of him, he fients left to create a lane and pass, problem is you were there, with your front bumper almost up to his ear, he nudges you over into black SRF who was crowding you on your left, and the rest is history.
P.S.
also realize the track veers to the right just past the starters stand so some folks may drift left a bit before entering ...
also realize that start cluster f*#k had very little to do with SM - SRF starts, could have - has happened in an an all SM field when folks get a bit too anxious, ... a little patience goes a long way, especially at the start when you are P-7 row 4 with SRF's all around you ...
like the red dude who was clueless or didn't care he has a guy up to his ear and the black dude playing games forcing everyones hand by squeezing in knowing he still had a guy on his inside.
Conclusion?
sh#t happens, but understanding why it happens is the key for it maybe not happening again?
Just my opinion, may be wrong ...
PPS. Drago, what video did you watch??

EDIT : watched the video again 3X -
agree at 33% each, all 3 equally responsible,
also have to respect a guy who posts his own in car video for all to throw opinions out
[thumbsup] to D.S.

Carlos

regarding the "Jump" you are actually mistaken - Difficult to see in the low res web version but with the ability to see in full 1080i AVCHD you will see the starter's arm start waving before the accelerator is depressed. She gets one complete vertical sweep of the flag done before I start. Its a green flag against the green tree. You actually only see the flag on the upward stroke as the sun catches the flag.

PS. I also get "GREEN GREEN GREEN" in my ear as the flag waves from my trusty crew member Kim!!!

I went and found Fred Lipe, driver of the black SRF and brought him to our trailer so he could see the video in full HD. You can easily see the starters arm move before we jump on the gas. Never did find Terry Carraway, driver of the 4 car as we were chasing to get the car ready for the ECR immediately after and then had to catch a flight.

Fred and myself agree that we all went for the same spot. IN retrospect not a wise move on anyone's part.

Regarding the SM/SRF issue....

that is still very much part of the root cause. When you ahve two momentum class cars that have to run "flat out" all the way, and they do it so differently, you cannot afford to get held up in any turn in a sprint race. One skunked corner and Fowler would have had it to himself, and then the OPM trailr would be an "unbearable" place to be for the rest of the season with Fowler prancing around all lahtida!

Same can be said from the SRF perspective.

In the ECR its a completely different race - lots of time to recover from a skunked corner or two. In fact if you are able to, you intentionally let an SRF get 10 lengths on you in the straights, catch up to his ass in every corner (without letting him hold you up) and then sit in his draft the entire straight. Our SM's turn lovely times with a 100% full tank of gas in those conditions.

[ 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

doh!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That whole Fowler prancing around thing is rather worrisome.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

R. Spence Verified Driver

Region: 03, Atlanta
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R. Spence   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny
Here the view from my camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGj_dv3elPc

--------------------
Robert Spence

Midtown Tire Inc, Goodyear Gemini Auto Care
OPM Autosports,Race Engineering, Autotech Supply, Halco,BG Products

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Survive turn 1 is like rule #1 in club racing? I've seen fast people come from dead last to the podium or better, I don't buy the "every position matters" in a club race start. I'm not innocent here either of course, but "always have an exit strategy" is a good rule to live by

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny,
+1 to what Rich said above,
OK, i'll bite, here goes;
This has nothing to do with anyone's talent or abilities, just objectively quantifying an unfortunate situation. You brought it up and posted the video. I really don't care to look for the 10' Pole, it is what it is. A ton of cars got messed up due to the "not a wise move on anyone's part".
First, pulling out of line and creeping up in between the row in front of you is "jumping" the start, both in the GCR and in any experienced racer's mind. Waiting until the green is shown before going 'flat' is irrelevant, the conditions for the 'cluster f#@k' were set and underway with that 3 wide move, before the green was ever shown.
Sh%t happens real quick when you are wedged in 3 wide, at a start, a few rows back, with a couple wild jokers on each side.
Second; "unbearable" to whom??
Only you ... the "i ain't letting that old man get a few car lengths on me" mentality is the main culprit, and an erroneous one. At the start, if one is oozing orange mist, it equals a bad recipe.
I know he is damn good, raced against him in ITS 12 years ago to know, also raced against him in SM back 7 years ago when he was ring leader of the Larry - Chet - Moon Dog show. And ya should have seen him wheel the ARC Proteges in World Challenge back in those days. But, with your rocketship, with over 150 corners to go at the start of that 'sprint' race, don't tell me you could not have run him down, "intentionally" using those SRF's as step ladders to leap frog draft right back up on his skinny bumper. You were P-2 for crissakes, spotting him 10 car lengths would not have been a win killer.
And, who cares if "lahtida" prances around the OPM trailer buck naked, just don't look!
[Eek!]
"regarding the SM/SRF issue"; anyone who has raced against SRF's knows you do not force the issue with those guys. Odds are someone is going off track. Give a little at the start, then take it back one lap at a time.
Kinda the same as the rest of the SCCA world says about the SM'ers huh?
[scratchchin]
Everyone can get along nicely with a bit of;
"Patience" at the start, is the only point i was trying to make, it was not exercised by any of the three initial causes of the melee. After you've taken close to 500 green flags in your racing career one realizes that for each and every "I was 7th" video, where the seas magically part in front of you, you will see one video like that posted above.
All above is said with complete respect to a racer i know cares about what happened.
best regards,
not the 10' Pole but your friend the 11' Hungarian
[Smile]
[thumbsup]

MegaModerator

I do agree that sprint race sill leaves enough time to recover from less than perfect start. Beside Fwoler uses all stored energy by lap three:)

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hummmm here i come

mr von charbonneau

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

who wants too here from a front runner in both srf and sm i have alot too say

mr von charbonneau

Ok first my veiw. I do Run two of the hardest classes to get along with.

as for hotshoe itr and its not the same shut up.
[Big Grin]

guest driver

charbs; u reemind me of Don Rickles, you hockey puck you,
[Razz]

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Von C I have been practicing. Check this out!

Danny thread needle not so necessary, hole not so big close up big crash. no need to be in hurry no class the same.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

mr von charbonneau

as for danny looked like you had two starts in one. great jump both times.

you did go were even the brave may dare.

cudos for testicicular optiical move

all i can say is wow with three hundred hours of data that does not work.

sorry to say you never had a chance on that one

just my opinion form my bed in my underware with

blanks hanging out.

mr von charbonneau

as for the two retards in srf cant you see the car next to you give room or give it up

mr von charbonneau

it is this veiwers opinion danny thought i was behind him so he hurried to get out of the way

i approve this message

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Only on a Spec Miata board would we blame a SRF for an accident that was clearly not all their fault. Yes, the little red car came over but the little SM should not have been there in the first place as there was no where to go and nothing to gain. Many have done that same move, including me and it rarely works out. Obviously non of the contact was on purpose and these type of racing deals do happen and happen fast. We have seen this same thing happen a 100 times and it makes no difference what the mix of cars are. Wasn't there a guy that got his ball busted for doing the same thing a couple of months ago. I can say one thing for Danny, he is not known for jumping starts or making contact with others. At least there are drivers that post their videos so that others can learn.
Now if we can just get Mr. Pink to watch the video [Big Grin]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

mr von charbonneau

+!

mr pink has his own green flag its in his car for contrast DAYTONA

SORRY PINKIE

mr von charbonneau

DONT BLAME THE STWEARDS THEY WERE NOT IN A CAR

hope that gets me some points

guest driver

hockey puck; you are still 100 "points" behind...
there is good news though, in the real world, Gold is going back up tomorrow, another 100 ounce day?
but remember, do not ever buy anything that "eats"!
[Big Grin]

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:

Danny thread needle not so necessary, hole not so big close up big crash. no need to be in hurry no class the same.

lmfao! [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
charbs; u reemind me of Don Rickles, you hockey puck you,
[Razz]

Don Rickles or Don Cherry?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

guest driver

apologise to D.S. for my uncalled for blast,
will continue with deft deflect of topic, a/k/a topic hijack, by answering Lance:

von ate Don C's cherry, after sprinkling Fletcher's moonshine over it.
von has to be Rickles, likes to roast everything, fine print under his license says;
"handle with extreme caution" - "do not leave out in direct sunlight", "fragile- always lay flat".
did anyone ever look closely at his old license?
[Eek!]
this cat er, hockey puck, gonna write a book about him one day, one of a kind.
[yep]

Carlos, Drago – yup I take full responsibility for my part in the mess. It was a low percentage move that every one of us makes at the start of a race from time to time. The flag waves, a gap appears, and we go for it, and then someone else goes for the same gap. Unfortunately I got squeezed (twice) and the gap got real small real quick.

Jamie – yup, hole close up real small, big crash, but this is racing, we always in hurry

Charbs – damn right – 300 hours of data told me – DO NOT LET TOM GET AWAY. See what data does for you! Definitely did not help with this one, but fortunately is more than compensated for by testicular-optical nerve which apparently is well developed,

And Von C , please tell me I didn’t make a mistake bailing at $1320 – ALL OUT – herd is moving!

[ 10-28-2010, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Carlos, Drago – yup I take full responsibility for my part in the mess. It was a low percentage move that every one of us makes at the start of a race from time to time. The flag waves, a gap appears, and we go for it, and then someone else goes for the same gap. Unfortunately I got squeezed (twice) and the gap got real small real quick.

Jamie – yup, hole close up real small, big crash, but this is racing, we always in hurry

Charbs – damn right – 300 hours of data tald me – DO NOT LET TOM GET AWEAY. See what data does for you! Definitely did not help with this one, but fortunately is more than compensated for by testicular-optical nerve which apparently is well developed,

And Von C , please tell me I didn’t make a mistake bailing at $1320 – ALL OUT – herd is moving!
[/QUOT
[Big Grin] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:

Bahahahahahaha [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And yes - we are all looking for Mr Pinks personal green flag that seems to wave at most tracks in the SE!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

guest driver

yes is mistake bailing at $1320 - check your "data", braking point is at $1395
[yep]
have Fowler check your data, von c has no clue, he just sold his testicles
[Big Grin]

George Munson Verified Driver

Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kudo's Danny! You took your beating like a man. [thumbsup]

complete thread hijack

Carlos - nobody times it perfectly! Better to bail on the way up than the way down. Just feel the herd is moving. When you start getting tips on how to buy stocks, trade gold or flip property by your taxi driver, your lawn service man........ then you know the herd is moving..... and the only sound heard is GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
SRF should have never been there is the first place.

Should have been a split start Danny, way to big of a field not to have done that.

Unfair to both classes, IMHO

Pat

I 100% agree with Pat but I would also add that the Smurf drivers at that event in '09 were (IMHO)especially agressive. I never saw so much "chrome horn" driving as I witnessed there.

The black Smurf that crosses Danny's LF looks as though he's either oblivious to the SM. or thought he could bulldoze his way. As for Danny jumping the flag, it appearsd that the green is flying as he pulls into the gap. Given the slower acceleration of SRF's it's certainly understandable that he'd go there. (I would have)
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

MegaModerator

quote:
complete thread hijack

Carlos - nobody times it perfectly!

I did once in my life and was penalized for it [Big Grin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpo6AzdKuU

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
complete thread hijack

Carlos - nobody times it perfectly! Better to bail on the way up than the way down. Just feel the herd is moving. When you start getting tips on how to buy stocks, trade gold or flip property by your taxi driver, your lawn service man........ then you know the herd is moving..... and the only sound heard is GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!!!!

Well said.

--------------------
Michael Ross

quote:
Danny,
First, pulling out of line and creeping up in between the row in front of you is "jumping" the start, both in the GCR and in any experienced racer's mind.

Carlos, I re-read your 2nd post and wanted to take issue with it since this is in the public domain, and I feel I need to clear this up.

Above you accuse me of "pulling out of line and creeping up in between the row in front of you ".

You are mistaken

Please watch the video again. The green flag waves at 26 seconds. I am still TOTALLY behind the Red 4 SRF. I only pull out of line and move between the line in front AFTER the green has gone. (in the slowmo part the flag waves at 47 seconds into the video)

It is difficult to see the flag in the low res version on line, but in the HiDef version it is very clear to the eye.

Doesnt avoid the fact that this was a low percentage move, but I most definitely did NOT jump the start.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

guest driver

OK - you are correct - i was mistaken.

new motto; herd goes this way, we go that way and never ever follow "lahtida" into the trailer.
[Big Grin]

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
OK - you are correct - i was mistaken.

new motto; herd goes this way, we go that way and never ever follow "lahtida" into the trailer.
[Big Grin]

The issue of Danny jumping the start is thus settled: he didn't.

My [twocents] on the low percentage move. I was right behind Danny. We both timed the flag. I saw the "hole", too, and made the decision to follow Danny in, rather than try the outside. This "decision" took about a tenth of a second, so calling it a decision is generous. It's more like "stimulus/response" with instinct as the only guide. But that's the nature of the game. In racing, there's no time for deliberation and debate 'till it's all over. By then, you're Hero or Bonehead, depending on the outcome.

IMO, it wasn't a low percentage move: just a poor outcome.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 ^ for the crash test dummy.

No way you let that "hole" go, when you get a decent start like that.

wheel

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: