Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » ARRC WHO'S FAST ?? WHO WILL WIN ?? (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: ARRC WHO'S FAST ?? WHO WILL WIN ??
CHIP VAN 01
WHO NEEDS EXIT SPEED WHEN YOU HAVE HORSEPOWER !!!!!

Region: FL REG
Car #: 01 02 03
Year : 90 93 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CHIP VAN 01     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Updates Any News

--------------------
www.AutoTechnikRacing.com

2010 SM NATIONAL POINTS CHAMPION
( I kicked Von C's A$$ )
2008 , 2009 and 2010 SE Division National SM Champion

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In Pro-IT yesterday Cliff Brown and Jamie Tucker had a ding dong battle for 45 minutes. Jamie was leading on the last lap but lost it to Cliffie by a car length. Great race. Not sure about the rest of the finishers. I was out with bent tie rod after contact mid race.

In SM-X race today, Cliffie on pole. Very small field

In SM race today, Cliffie on pole as well. Decent field with Kopp, Tucker, Foster, Cottrell, Colledge, Brock and others

3-Hour ECR race on Sunday, no qualifying as yet.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe the grid for todays race is,
Brown
Foster
Tucker
Kopp
So far it has been a great event with a lot of give and take between the SM cars. Our race will go off right before lunch.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tucker was fast I'd say. [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM:

Tucker
Brown
Cottrell

SSM:
Windsor
Fohl

SM2:
Heyl
Cross
Skolnick

SMX:
Steyn
Brown
Wechsler

SM5:
Cooper
Copeland
Wolfson

Congratulations to all!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jamie
Congrats, that is a big one!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Zack Skolnick

Region: NNJR
Car #: 89
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Heyl in sm2 was dqued for being. Underweight

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Those were from the prelim.

Nice 2nd Zack!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Jamie and Danny!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Flow Bench Verified Driver

Region: Southeast
Car #: 4
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Tom and the OPM guys for really putting me in the show this weekend. Car was spot on and really a joy to drive. Congrats to Jamie on the first ARRC win!

--------------------
----------------------------------
Craig Foster #4 Atlanta Region SM Champion 2009, 2010
Delainey Motorsport, LLC
Farnbacher - OPM - East Street Auto - Rogaine

Zack Skolnick

Region: NNJR
Car #: 89
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had an awesome time for my first time racing at atlanta and in the arrc. I would like to thank Mike Rossini and Rossini Racing for a top notch car and support. Also my dad, playseat simulators, piloti shoes, and iracing for coming out with a mx5. Shoot out to Eric Foss for the coaching on iracing..it paid off! See everyone at the spec miata shootout at carolina motorsports park next month!

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is SM2 and SMX?

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just got home and wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and support. The ARRC went well and I was lucky to bring my car home in 1st but it would not have been possible if it were not for so many drivers that have helped me along the way. Andrew Von C, Danny Steyn, Cliff Brown, Chip Vanvurst, Jeff Labounty, Pat Sandlin, Drago, and many others have taught me a lot over the past few years. I also wanted to thank Autotechniks for all of their support and providing me a very fast race car and Tom Fowler and the OPM guys who are always there when I need something (as I did this weekend). For those that want to know there was a post race inspection that consisted of checking the weight, plate, compression ratio (with a whistler), intake and exhaust manifolds, they pulled the head and removed a couple valves, inspected the flywheel, inspected the differential, cams, cam gears, bore, stroke, and looked at a few other things that I cannot remember right now. The tech inspection took about 2.5 hours and I was lucky to have Cory from Autotechniks there to do the work (it was beyond my skills) They also checked for fuel the day before. The Atlanta region did a first class job so a special thanks to them as well.

[ 11-07-2010, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Jamie Tucker ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jamie Tucker drove and awesome race in SM. Was able to watch the entire race, and from my vantage point at T1 he not only appeared to be fast but also the most consistent.

Cliffie Brown had a great start but slide wide in T1 and had to back out of it letting Foster by. Foster was a threat early on, leading for several laps until his alternator belt let go and he overheated.

Kopp had a tremendous race, and was a serious threat running 2nd for most of the race in his 1.6, right on Jamies tale and ahead of Cliffie, but his master cylinder let go and like Foster he had to retire.

Finishing order was Tucker, Brown, Cottrell, College, Brock. At impound Cliffie was dropped out for passing under Yellow, so the final order was

1. Tucker
2. Cottrell
3. College
4. Brock

Great drive by all, and as mentioned above, Jamie - CONGRATS - this is a BIG ONE.

As much as I dislike the idea of SM2, there was a great race back in the 1.6/1.8 field. Craig Heyl finished first, but was DQ'd as he still had his car at the old weight (25 under) but alos had the old restrictor. That moved Alan Cross up to 1st, and Zack up to 2nd. Joseph Strong finished 3rd. Congrats to all. I watched Cross's video the previous day and watched the race, and man, he can really hit the marks, lap after lap..... well deserved.

In SMX (for the guys that ran the Runoffs and still wanted to run the ARRC) we had a 4 car race, along with the 2 SM5 Playboy Cup cars. Really disappointing turnout, but TOTALLY understandable - we want to run with our buddies.

Cliffie drove the wheels of his car and I stayed on his bumper for 12 laps, at which point he put it off at T1 kissing the wall. I had it all to myself and took the inaugural SMX win and set a new SMX lap record of 1.42.629. Weather was great, car was crisp, my Rossini engine was stellar, and the lack of restrictor made it even faster.

thanks to Tom Folwer and the entire crew for the work on the car and getting it back after the ProIT damage. Thanks to Rossini for a great engine and to Traqmate for the data.

As to the need for SM2?????, its pretty obvious that the 1.6 can run up front even at Road Atlanta. Kopp was a contender, running in 2nd place until his m/c went, and ran a best time of 1.44.18 in his 1.6. Only Tucker at 1.43.6 and Brown at 1.44.13 were faster in their 99's.

So there we were SM, SM2, SSM, SMX, and SM5. Nothing more boring than watching a 4 car race like ours. Also splitting a class into SM2 when 1.6 cars can run up front....... I just dont get it. SCCA has too many classes already, and I dont think this is going to help the situation at all......we really need to make sure that we have ONE class that is as EQUAL as possible.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

There was a great battle in ITA. Rowdy Price drove the wheels off his ITA Miata. Lead changes between Joe Moser and him on half the laps. Finished second to the Honda. Best race I got to watch.

Thanks to everyone at Windsor Customs for a great car and support.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Trussell17t

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Trussell17t     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any idea why Brian was dropped to last in the ITA race?

--------------------
http://www.travistrussell.com

http://www.WrtSpeedWerx.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Nope. Real sorry to hear that.
They must have gone through T1 door to door 3 or 4 times, including the first lap. Both full throttle 200' before the apex. Inspiring!
Wish I had an in car vid.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a mechanical protest on some repositioned items in the engine bay. Protest was upheld and he was dropped to last.

They are considering an appeal but that is all I know at this time. I have swapped a couple messages with Bret tonight.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Jim Epting

Region: Washington, D.C.
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In order to gain room to turn the intake system and run it along the right side of the motor, they made several mods in the headlight area. They repositioned the headlight motor and cut, repositioned and eliminated several sheet metal parts. This allowed the air filter to be positioned at the right side firewall, a much cooler area than anywhere on the left side.

They also chose to run without the undertray type spoiler they had, but don't know the reasoning for that. Sad to see someone get penalized. It has happened to me once and it's no fun.

Jim Epting

--------------------
Jim E.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Jamie, and Danny.

One of these days I like to make that race with Shawn.

Looks like a fun track.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to all!

Especially to Craig Heyl (great run, look into keeping up with the rule changes!) - must have been the trailer.

And most especially to my old codriver Joseph Strong for a solid third. Looks like you ran a great race especially since you are hardly ever in the car.

Another shout out to steve jones for his midpack finish in sm2. Looks like faster steve showed up this weekend.

While I have my own reservations about sm2 ( for much different reasons than mr. Steyn) it appears the racers like it and in the end, that will determine the success of the class.

Sorry I missed it this year ( first time in 5 or 6 years)

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
So there we were SM, SM2, SSM, SMX, and SM5. Nothing more boring than watching a 4 car race like ours. Also splitting a class into SM2 when 1.6 cars can run up front....... I just dont get it. SCCA has too many classes already, and I dont think this is going to help the situation at all......we really need to make sure that we have ONE class that is as EQUAL as possible.

Maybe we can allow ALL race in SM next year and those that feel they can't compete with the fastest guys run SM2? That's is what we are doing now anyway? [Frown] If that were the case, I think you would get even more drivers than just the Runoffs drivers. People want to race the best, not the best of whats left. [twocents]
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:

Maybe we can allow ALL race in SM next year and those that feel they can't compete with the fastest guys run SM2? That's is what we are doing now anyway? [Frown] If that were the case, I think you would get even more drivers than just the Runoffs drivers. People want to race the best, not the best of whats left. [twocents]
Jim

I am sure there is more to it but that is how I feel as well. I know that when I look at the entry list and I see the Pombos, Steyn, Brown, Van Vurst, Von C and others I get excited because I know I am going to race the best and I will have a battle on my hands: which is what it is all about.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"So there we were SM, SM2, SSM, SMX, and SM5. Nothing more boring than watching a 4 car race like ours. Also splitting a class into SM2 when 1.6 cars can run up front....... I just dont get it. SCCA has too many classes already, and I dont think this is going to help the situation at all......we really need to make sure that we have ONE class that is as EQUAL as possible."

I still think we should add SM classes, like SMM for SM Me and SMU, for, well you get the idea. Then everyone can have their own race and everyone can be a winner. Call the whole series SM Special.

wheel

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

Jim

[thumbsup]

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Rowdy Price

Car #: 51
Year : 94 R
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rowdy Price     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Epting:
In order to gain room to turn the intake system and run it along the right side of the motor, they made several mods in the headlight area. They repositioned the headlight motor and cut, repositioned and eliminated several sheet metal parts. This allowed the air filter to be positioned at the right side firewall, a much cooler area than anywhere on the left side.

They also chose to run without the undertray type spoiler they had, but don't know the reasoning for that. Sad to see someone get penalized. It has happened to me once and it's no fun.

Jim Epting

Boy Jim... sounds like you wrote the protest, not some OPM guy that has never seen it before or was that ED YORK.....& mabe you need to get your eyes checked before you make a statement about parts being cut off...... [Wink]

--------------------
Brian price ITA #51
http://www.RPPerformanceracing.com
UNLIMITED AUTOBODY & COLLISION.COM PERFORMANCE AUTOWORKS WV.COM
2009 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
2010 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
UNLIMITED RACING

RP Performance Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RP Performance   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim nothing was cut, modified or removed to install the intake on the right side of the engine bay. The fact that you knew what the protest was lead us to know who wsa behind it since we did not tell anyone at inpound. There was no and i repeat no performance advantage as we dynoed both intakes. In fact there is more room on that side so I am not sure why you you said that. When I started racing in 95 someone looked and found something on my car that was not legal and was a performance item. They, being a real man canme to me and asked me to fix it and because of that I did fix it and I did and was not upset at all. We went over that car from top to bottom before the arrc to make sure that we had no problems at all.

--------------------
Bret de PedroRP PerformanceRentals,construction,track supportwww.rpperformanceracing.com2005 MARRS ITA Champion1st place Summit point 12 hour 2004,2005,20061st place SSM Summit Point 12 hour2007,20081st, 2nd place NE 2006

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If there is no performance increase, why was it done?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RP Performance   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

easier to fit since there is more room.

--------------------
Bret de PedroRP PerformanceRentals,construction,track supportwww.rpperformanceracing.com2005 MARRS ITA Champion1st place Summit point 12 hour 2004,2005,20061st place SSM Summit Point 12 hour2007,20081st, 2nd place NE 2006

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by RP Performance:

You brought a car that was non compliant to one of the biggest races of the year and it is someone else's fault for protesting you? Then on top of it you claim there was no advantage to running the intake to the other side of the motor? Nice!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by RP Performance:

you're telling me that every person in SM has trouble fitting their intake?

this is an ITA car not a SM car, rules are not the same.

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Jim Epting

Actually the undertray was in the dirt drivers left at turn 7 after a drive off. It was retrieved by someone from EV a couple of sessions later.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
quote:

Jim Epting

Actually the undertray was in the dirt drivers left at turn 7 after a drive off. It was retrieved by someone from EV a couple of sessions later.
The trays took a beating this week! One of mine was left in the turn 5.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian's run in the ITA race was amazing. The guy works to whole different set of physics than the rest of us. It's a shame that such a season ended this way.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Flow Bench Verified Driver

Region: Southeast
Car #: 4
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just couldn't resist... RP please remember that the dyno is stationary and your performance gains would only come on track when wind and temps are very different than a dyno. Good job in tech as parity is what makes this stuff more fun anyway.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Craig Foster #4 Atlanta Region SM Champion 2009, 2010
Delainey Motorsport, LLC
Farnbacher - OPM - East Street Auto - Rogaine

Just a further update on the ARRC weekend

On Sunday I ran the 3-Hour enduro with Tom Fowler co-driving in my car. I ran first and last stints and Tom did the middle stint.

We completed 96 laps, finished 3rd overall and first in SM, one lap down on the Robertsons Porsche and behind Tyler Wolfsons MX-5 car.

Big congrats to Craig Heyl for winning the SM2 class, and Guy Sisson for his 2nd place finish

What is most remarkable about his particular enduro is that I ran the fastest lap on lap 95 (2nd last lap) and ran a time of 1.43.463 - my fastest EVER SM time at Road Atlanta and this was without a draft, and it was even faster than Jamie's FRL in the SM ARRC. ARE YOU KIDDING ME - on lap 95!!!

Tom took it easy on my car but I drove like a sprint race. 28 laps in the 1.44's!!!!! Damn these cars are amazing. Car was stellar, engine was awesome, but tires started blistering towards the end.

(I did run a 1.42.6 in SMX trim - no plate, and tucked behind Cliffie)

Lets face it - these SM cars are friggin awesome. All around us cars were retiring with mechanical faults, dropping parts, shedding exhausts, blowing engines. We were able to run with some decent ITA Miatas that would kill us on the straights but we would kill them in the twistys.

You just have to love this class!

Thanks to Tom, Tim, Mike, Ryan, and all the gang at OPM for the support this weekend. Thanks to Mike Rossini for being there to help out and to Ron at Traqmate.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Rowdy Price

Car #: 51
Year : 94 R
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rowdy Price     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Wreckerboy:
Brian's run in the ITA race was amazing. The guy works to whole different set of physics than the rest of us. It's a shame that such a season ended this way.

Oh I'm not letting this get me down at all! To think this part would have changed any outcome in any race all year is just not true.....lol [yep]

--------------------
Brian price ITA #51
http://www.RPPerformanceracing.com
UNLIMITED AUTOBODY & COLLISION.COM PERFORMANCE AUTOWORKS WV.COM
2009 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
2010 WDCR ITA CHAMPION
UNLIMITED RACING

Site Founder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
"So there we were SM, SM2, SSM, SMX, and SM5. Nothing more boring than watching a 4 car race like ours. Also splitting a class into SM2 when 1.6 cars can run up front....... I just dont get it. SCCA has too many classes already, and I dont think this is going to help the situation at all......we really need to make sure that we have ONE class that is as EQUAL as possible."

I still think we should add SM classes, like SMM for SM Me and SMU, for, well you get the idea. Then everyone can have their own race and everyone can be a winner. Call the whole series SM Special.

wheel

What you said is true but extremely out of context. It is not SCCA and Butch who wanted all those classes and I suspect you want see it again.

SM (no national drivers allowed, they run pro it only)

SSM, regional champ class

SM5, regional 2006+ champ class (unless we put them in SM, fine with me)

That is my 2 cents.

The driving was great as usual, congrats a to all!

-
M. Cooper with AMG takes first SM5 race win, 1:40 flat lap times driving easy, cars are going to be fast!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Site Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
It was a mechanical protest on some repositioned items in the engine bay. Protest was upheld and he was dropped to last.

They are considering an appeal but that is all I know at this time. I have swapped a couple messages with Bret tonight.

Now I know what the "headlight motor" question was for.

Those are good guys, sh&% happens.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

MegaModerator

What tires was everyone on? Was it open or RA1?
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
[QUOTE]SM (no national drivers allowed, they run pro it only)

As you know... SM natonal drivers can't race, but often many pro drivers from various ranks can, along with many national drivers who win regularly in nationals? I understand the idea of the regional championship, but every year it has been won by a pro or national driver since 2006( probably since it's inception depending on your definition orf pro/National driver) Never has been won by a regional driver, never will. The motive is pure, but the goal is not met. Competitive drivers don't want to come and race in an also ran class like Pro It and the Enduro. Not to say they arent competitive, but they all want the ARRC win, the big one.

SM for whoever wants to race in a legal car, SM2 regional championship as it was intended. Just my [twocents]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Jim Epting

Region: Washington, D.C.
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, I'm only gonna post this time, then I'm done with this topic. I don't see an internet peeing contest as a good way to resolve anything. It just inflames feelings and gets everyone over excited. I do understand why the RP folks are upset, I was mighty upset when I got penalized on a tech matter back in my ancient past (probably when Bret was still in high school). I know it hurts.

I think everyone who knows the underhood geometry of a first gen Miata knows, or can easily check, there is insufficient room in the vicinity of the throttle body to make a 180 degree turn of and insulated approximately 3 inch diameter intake tube - resulting in a highly desirable intake point at the right side firewall. This is a desirable location because it is on the cool corner of the engine compartment, away from radiator airflow and away from the exhaust manifold. Unfortunately the headlight motor, the throttle body, throttle bellcrank, a relay bracket, and several pieces of sheet metal are in the way of the required turn at the throttle body. I don't know the exact details obviously, but it doesn't really matter cause I'm not the guy making the judgement - it's the tech steward. If they got it wrong, then obviously their ruling should be appealed.

One more time, the OPM guy didn't make the final call -- it was the tech steward, probably Sue Rothel. If it is wrong, appeal.

I agree with you on the man-to-man informal resolution point, but that requires some knowledge of what is going on. The hood on the car was never open in a public setting during the entire season, until after the very last race in the tech shed at Summit Pt. - kinda late to have that man-to-man talk.

I've watched Brian drive and like everyone else, I can only admire his ability and car control. The kid has the reflexes and athletic ability of a top line tennis player and anyone who doesn't see that obviously doesn't know race car drivers.

Jim E.

--------------------
Jim E.

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joey Atterbury's SM record still standing?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Craig Heyl

Car #: 00
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Craig Heyl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, as it turns out my first win suffered at the hands of my own lack of double checking the rules for my '94. I ran the SM2 ARRC on the 45mm restrictor and old weight. Then to run the best race I've ever had, only to find out the weight changed mid year. I came in empty and 20 under. I surrendered the flag to Alan.

Alan, Jason, Guy, Joseph and I all ran the sprint close and clean the whole race. Painful to have to give up the win for not checking Fastrack, but live and learn.

Then Sunday with a weight change and the 47mm restrictor, I came back in the Enduro. Had a great race with Guy and all the SM's. And overall good weekend.

Still kicking myself for Saturday however.....

Craig

--------------------
Craig Heyl
Decatur Speed Shop
404-375-6025
Atlanta Region SCCA
NASA - SE
craigheyl@mac.com

Site Founder

quote:
quote:

As you know... SM natonal drivers can't race, but often many pro drivers from various ranks can, along with many national drivers who win regularly in nationals? I understand the idea of the regional championship, but every year it has been won by a pro or national driver since 2006( probably since it's inception depending on your definition orf pro/National driver) Never has been won by a regional driver, never will. The motive is pure, but the goal is not met. Competitive drivers don't want to come and race in an also ran class like Pro It and the Enduro. Not to say they arent competitive, but they all want the ARRC win, the big one.

SM for whoever wants to race in a legal car, SM2 regional championship as it was intended. Just my [twocents]

I agree with that, for it to be something special it needs to include all.

I want to race the top Runoffs guys but don't want to go to the Runoffs and I'm sure some of you want to race the pro guys. Fix that and we have a real shootout!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree with that, for it to be something special it needs to include all.

I want to race the top Runoffs guys but don't want to go to the Runoffs and I'm sure some of you want to race the pro guys. Fix that and we have a real shootout!

Word [Wink]

^^^^^^^
THATS WHAT WE WANT!

I doubt that I have won a more HOLLOW title than the one ARRC SMX one I got on Saturday. (sorry Cliffie - no offense - I am sure you understand)

I dont want to be the best of the 4 car field. I would rather fight for 10th in the 70 car field.

Dont split them - JOIN THEM!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Am I wrong in saying this is an SCCA ruling and not a decision by anyone at the ARRC? My understanding is that the SCCA will only sanction SM at the ARRC if it doesn't include Runoff drivers and this year they made an exception that Runoffs participants can join in but only in a different class (hence SMX)?

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The sanction request comes from the Atlanta region. SCCA approves the sanction based on event criteria from the GCR. The region can add, subtract, or create region only classes (like SM2, SM5, SMX) even if no such class exists in SCCA (like allowing IT7, Spec E30, Honda Challenge from NASA). The ARRC gained its notoriety because it was supposed to be the runoffs for the people who didn't qualify or compete in the runoffs. Over the years the economy and car counts have required the region to allow an expanded field. Nothing to do with SCCA National office, the BOD, or the CRB.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: