Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Video from the basement of Mazda’s R&D facility. Mazda history uncovered!!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Video from the basement of Mazda’s R&D facility. Mazda history uncovered!!
Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com Verified Driver
The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.

Region: DC
Car #: 7
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you’re interested in seeing some of the cars that put Mazda in the spotlight of the racing world check this out.

http://www.goracingtv.com/11/07/2010/goracingtv-minute-mazda-rd-basement/

--------------------
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com

Rossini Racing Products
Distributor
www.SpecMiataEngines.com

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you were running late but you had time to set up your vid and audio 0_o Are you a producer for American Chopper? Thanks for the vid [Wink]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mr Tucker;
great video, nice plot, script & direction format of 'sneaking in for a peek'.
Great cars and spot on commemtary except for the Car & Driver RX2 as raced in the IMSA RS Series;
it was built by Roy Woods Racing in LA back in '74, has one of the nicest cages ever designed and built (by Indy Car / Can Am fabricators, out of 4130).
Don Sherman was not the originator, it was Pat Bedard.
Racing Beat (Jim & Rocky) only built the motors, not the car.
the shade of blue on the car's bottom half is all wrong (deep Navy vs the light Mazda blue as shown), always raced with C&D signage, then the blue & yellows of Walt Bohren, then all white till '78, then Gutierrez Bros Racing's yellow and white '78-'81, before going to Paul Romano and raced as a full on SCCA National GT-3 then a IMSA GTU racer '81 - '85.
Lotta history with that car apart from being Mazda's first pro championship winner in the states. Sweetest handling RX2 ever, ask me how i know.
Thanks for the vid,

[Wink]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Errol Tucker Sr. - GoRacingTV.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, how do you know?

--------------------
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com

Rossini Racing Products
Distributor
www.SpecMiataEngines.com

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

will be exactly 32 years ago this coming Thanksgiving ...
please sit on back a spell, let me spin my yarn ...
that Pat Bedard (Car & Driver) IMSA RS race winning Mazda RX2, then 1978 Championship winner with Walt Bohren, was bought by my brother and me at the November Daytona IMSA finale in 1978. Paid $8,000 cash, straight off the track. We raced it on and off for 3 years before selling it to Paul Romano.
Spent many many hours racing and wrenching that car. In its day, nothing handled like that RX2, being set up by the master (Bohren) along with Charlie Hurst, his crew chief.
Jimmy Downing and Roger Mandeville would come over to check it out as we would gap those guys RX2's by a few car lengths in the Daytona 'infield' and the Sebring 'infield' (back in the day on the original 5.2 mile course there was the 'infield' and then the 1 mile long outer runways). Always down on power as we done blowed up the original 200+ hp Racing Beat motor that came with the car and then home built our own rotarys. Remember switching from the Goodyear Wingfoot radials to the 'new' BF Goodrich TA's in '79 (they were given to us free!!), and being able to out handle those guys. Within 2 races they were also on the TA's and closed the gap.
When we got Mike Ford to help us out with the motors (yes, that Mike Ford, the 'Chief' standing in Victory Lane at Texas last Sunday with Denny H), we were able to run with anyone out there. Then we ran out of money (old song) and sold the car.
[banghead]
very good memories from that car

[yep]

got another good story on another original IMSA RS race winning Mazda RX2, the Jimmy Downing #63 that won a bunch of races from '77 - '80.
We bought and raced that car too, won a bunch of SCCA races, both Nationals & Regionals, in GT-3 prep during 1988 till 1991. Sold it back to Jimmy D in '92. Car was good but nothing compared to that ex C&D 'geisha girl' RX2.
Thanks for listening and for creating that video memory.
[thumbsup]

I’m glad we could spark up a few good memories for you.

Do you have pictures of the car when you owned it? We may want to do a piece on the history of that car. Please IM me your contact info.

Thanks

--------------------
Errol J Tucker Sr.
www.GoRacingTV.com

Rossini Racing Products
Distributor
www.SpecMiataEngines.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: