Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » What Trailer are we using for Spec Miata's ? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: What Trailer are we using for Spec Miata's ?
Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wonder how much more it would be for 5k axles instead. Can't be that much more. Might be worth a call.

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That would be the way to go. Then that trailer would be in my driveway.

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Agreed. I emailed that Hickory trailer for a quote on a cargomate 20-22 with finished interior and cabinets as well. I'll let you know what I find out from them.

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I was pricing new trailers from hallmark direct, a stripped 24 with 5k axles was about $5800. Done up with walls, floor, cabinet, lights it was $10800.

I'm pretty sure a 20' with 5k axles would be custom. Doubt that would be a big deal.

Haulmark has direct listings on newyork.craigslist.org.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I was pricing new trailers from hallmark direct, a stripped 24 with 5k axles was about $5800. Done up with walls, floor, cabinet, lights it was $10800.

I'm pretty sure a 20' with 5k axles would be custom. Doubt that would be a big deal.

Haulmark has direct listings on newyork.craigslist.org.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George -

I noticed that All Pro West also stocks the ATC & Motiv trailers as well. They should be able to order an ATC or Motiv (ATC's steel line) to your specs if you wanted to go that direction. If you like the ATC fit and finish, you can probably get a comparable Motiv built with 5200lb axles. Comparing the Carmate to the ATC/Motiv line is like comparing a Honda to a Lexus. Both are good products, but side to side you'll see a difference in build quality, fit & finished and attention to detail. And they don't cut any corners underneath the skin where you can't see it (that's not to imply that Carmate does). I'm sure All Pro can compare them over the phone. Good luck with your search.

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I forgot to say that you can get info on ATC & Motiv at their website:

http://www.aluminumtrailer.com

Check out the Promos.

I'm finished now [Smile]

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since everyone else is pimping their trailer sources, here's mine:
http://www.econotrailer.com/

Got the 18' open deck. Though it weighs a bit more than an AL one, I tow it with an '05 Expedition (5.4L) and couldn't complain - other than not having a factory option for a front-end tire rack.

New it was just a bit under $2k ($1850-something?) and apart from getting the trailer brake controller installed (another $200) it's been smooth sailing for me (2 years now).

George - your figures are about right:
Dual 3500# axle == 7k# loading

Trailer == 2000# leaving 5000# for loading
Miata == 2200# leaving 2800# for gear/spares

Let's just say my expedition should probably have some spring helpers when we're fully geared up (wife, dog, clothes, tent, spares, wheels/tires...)!

Best of luck!
Brandon

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by htron435:
George -

I noticed that All Pro West also stocks the ATC & Motiv trailers as well. They should be able to order an ATC or Motiv (ATC's steel line) to your specs if you wanted to go that direction. If you like the ATC fit and finish, you can probably get a comparable Motiv built with 5200lb axles. Comparing the Carmate to the ATC/Motiv line is like comparing a Honda to a Lexus. Both are good products, but side to side you'll see a difference in build quality, fit & finished and attention to detail. And they don't cut any corners underneath the skin where you can't see it (that's not to imply that Carmate does). I'm sure All Pro can compare them over the phone. Good luck with your search.

Jay,

Thanks,
Tomorrow I'm going to find out from ATC what it would cost to order a trailer to my liking. If I can get into one for a fair price, I may order one. Was told that it would take 6-8 weeks. I really don't want to spend too much but I believe you get what you pay for and I don't want to get something I will not be happy with and have regrets.

George B

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:
Since everyone else is pimping their trailer sources, here's mine:
http://www.econotrailer.com/

Got the 18' open deck. Though it weighs a bit more than an AL one, I tow it with an '05 Expedition (5.4L) and couldn't complain - other than not having a factory option for a front-end tire rack.

New it was just a bit under $2k ($1850-something?) and apart from getting the trailer brake controller installed (another $200) it's been smooth sailing for me (2 years now).

George - your figures are about right:
Dual 3500# axle == 7k# loading

Trailer == 2000# leaving 5000# for loading
Miata == 2200# leaving 2800# for gear/spares

Let's just say my expedition should probably have some spring helpers when we're fully geared up (wife, dog, clothes, tent, spares, wheels/tires...)!

Best of luck!
Brandon

Hey Brandon,

Whats up? We will have to get together for some track time next year. Thanks for the advice. Keep in touch.

George

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by George B:
I'm looking to purchase a trailer for a spec miata.
I was thinking about a 14 foot open featherlite. Would this work? Cars are approx 13 feet long.
My tow vehicle is a 2011 ram 1500 with a towing capacity of 10,200 lbs so weight isn't an issue. Want a small aluminum (no steel) trailer to keep in driveway and keep cost down to a minimum for a newbie. Gas mileage is a priority.
Anyone using one? any advice any for sale? would be very helpful. I'm looking to purchase my first car very soon.

George
Check this company out first. If you want to drive over and see my trailer before you buy,give me a call. PM you with #
http://www.trailerworld.com/inventory.cgi?style=10

Jeff

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

George B

Jeff,

Thanks. I will contact you. PM sent.

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is bigger than you're looking for but I have an ATC 40' Aluminum 5th wheel for sale.
13K for trailer and hitch.
Joe.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a good deal on a 24' Cargo Mate on the Asedan site.
http://www.asedan.net/forums/showthread.php?p=25559#post25559

George B

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Specht:
This is bigger than you're looking for but I have an ATC 40' Aluminum 5th wheel for sale.
13K for trailer and hitch.
Joe.

Joe,

That sounds like a nice deal but too big for me.

George

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm lowering my asking price if anyone reading is looking for an enclosed. Link to info is earlier in this thread. Willing to listen to reasonable offers, would like to move it before the holidays. Happy Holidays everyone. Regards, AJ

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

r1chy

Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for r1chy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by l8tbreakr:
I'm lowering my asking price if anyone reading is looking for an enclosed. Link to info is earlier in this thread. Willing to listen to reasonable offers, would like to move it before the holidays. Happy Holidays everyone. Regards, AJ

Good looking trailer and very fair price. If I didn't have one already I'd jump on it.

Good luck, R1chy

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks R1chy

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This one is always good for a show. All custom, obviously.  -

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: