Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Escape door/awning necessary on enclosed trailer?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Escape door/awning necessary on enclosed trailer?
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking at a nice trailer, but it lacks an escape door and also has no awning. First, is it acceptable to use the installed d.c. wench to load it, and just push it out to unload it, or is an escape door a whole lot better? Second is an awning useful, or more trouble than they are worth? This trailer had an awning, but apparently was removed because it wasn't working. A new awning installed is about $1K, so I'm wondering what kind of price reduction I should ask for because the awning is NOT included. Thanks!

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think either the escape door or awning are necessary. Awnings are very nice, but you have to be careful with wind. I've never used or seen an escape door, I just either get in and out Hazard style or open the door all I can and slip out. As far as the winch goes, again, I don't think its a necessity, I just drive mine in and coast out.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buy these clips from Pegasus

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5464

And a canopy from canopymasters.com.

I have a 20x24 canopy that attaches to the trailer, LOTS of shade is worth every penny here in the south.

If you already have a winch, you don't need an escape door, and I haven't seen a winch leak or get broken into yet.
My driveway has a pretty steep incline down to the shop. I couldn't load my car alone without a winch.
On level ground, it's really not that difficult to monkey out of the car in the trailer,

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The winch is only necessary if you have an enclosed trailer that is less than 8' wide or if you are above average, size-wise. It's when you start trying to shoehorn a Miata into a 7' trailer that things get interesting.

I ordered my trailer with the awning & it's almost ready for replacement after more than 10 years. Personally, I wouldn't go any other way. It's virtualy NO work to take down or put up & requires no storage space inside the trailer. But it does require a bit of common sense.... I always park so that it will be downwind from the trailer & drop it down as far as I can in heavy wind or rain.

Eric

htron435 Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA GLD
Car #: 113
Icon 1 posted  Profile for htron435   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Escape doors or hatches also take away usable wall space for hanging your stuff. Especially on a smaller trailer. They're handy for bigger cars, but they're overkill for a miata. Also, you have to measure carefully to ensure that the escape door opening will be low enough to actually allow your door to open fully. Otherwise it's a waste. From past experience [Smile]

--------------------
Jay
Car Dealer
ATC/Motiv Trailer Dealer
http://www.jaynorthauto.com

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I love the awning on my trailer, it came installed and works perfectly and can be put up/down with just a switch - if it starts to get too windy or time to roll. Same as others, I just slip out the door once the car is in the trailer, but adding a winch aint too difficult if you're a big dude and getting in and out is a hassle.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

r1chy

Car #: 35
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for r1chy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have an escape door on mine and hardly use it.

Also, don't bother worrying about the escape door lining up with the car door. The car's doors will hit the interior wheel wells before reaching the external walls - at least this is the case for my Miata in my Haulmark 20' enclosed. But the escape door does work with other cars I've hauled, where the bottom of the car door clears the wheel well.

R1chy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: