Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Need to lose 16 pounds from '90 SM (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Need to lose 16 pounds from '90 SM
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can I remove the headlight motors and headlights? They still pop up, though there is no switch to make them light up.
I do have camera and traqmate system, with lexan vents in both doors. all a/c equip. is removed.

I have aluminum hood, no cat insulation or other insulation, gutted doors and removed emergency brakes. I can't find any ballast anywhere. TD 13 lb wheels and shaved tires. Still have brake shields and inner fenders (plastic). I don't know if the hardtop is factory or aftermarket. It's heavy either way, but I am not driving without it! Factory hooks will be removed. Thanks for all the comments.

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's illegal to remove the head light motors. I sent a letter to the CRB/BOD requesting that we be allowed to remove them. However, I'm not confident that this change will be allowed either.

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Take a look in your right-rear frame rail make sure it's actually hollow [Wink] Also, check under your battery make sure there's not a very, very substantial "mounting bracket" there. What battery is in the car. There's a 10+ pound difference in batteries.

Look behind the dash also. Consider what actually needs to be there. Make sure airbag sensors are gone as well as the associated wiring. Did your car come with power windows and power mirrors? EVERYTHING associated with those systems can be removed.

I also found at least 10 pounds of miscellaneous bracketry in the car. Replaced with zip-ties [Smile] Definitely remove those brake shields as that's unsprung weight. Fender liners should go too.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Colin MacLean:
What battery is in the car. There's a 10+ pound difference in batteries.

Very true. When I bought my car, I didn't realize at first that the previous owner had wedged a generic Walmart full size battery in. Then being a cheapskate, I didn't want to replace it until it died. When it finally did, I pulled it out and weighed it. Sucker was 40 lbs. I replaced it with the proper miata battery which weighed only 19.7 lbs. So 20 lbs eliminated from the right rear of the car just like that! And extra weight outside of the wheel base is never a good thing!

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've read all this thread, and I still suspect a gremlin in this car. My origional SM (a 1991) was thirty pounds heavier, but my 1990 that (with a .095 cage w/ NASCAR bars on both sides, a fire bottle, radio, data loger, the big Koyo, SD exhaust, aluminum seat, a cool suit sysytem, 15 pounds of ballast and me (165 lbs) weighs in dry at ~2,270. If I get below 1/4 tank tank, I'm at risk! Admittedly, I pitched every bolt, and screw that wasn't required when I built mine, but there's gotta be something else going on to make a 1990 a piggie!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been advised not to remove the fender liners because the increased aerodynamic drag offsets any gains made from weight loss.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I've been advised not to remove the fender liners because the increased aerodynamic drag
Has this been confirmed with actual data?

Randy Thieme

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.

Randy Thieme

At the time the person pointed to the hollow area in the lower rear of the front wheel well, a very non-aerodynamic shape.

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't buy it. I'd remove them.

If you want to prove it to yourself, maybe do a coastdown test with and without.

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You also can't roll the lips with the liners in.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Randy Thieme

It is possible to roll them, but the screws around the edges will make pimples that stick out. Ask me how I know. [Roll Eyes] Solution is to either shorten the screws with a hacksaw or just not roll them in so much. I run maximum trackwidth and haven't had any problems.

Randy Thieme

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
I don't buy it. I'd remove them.

If you want to prove it to yourself, maybe do a coastdown test with and without.

Yes, that would be a good test day exercise. I think MythBusters uses coastdown tests once in a while.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The plastic liners weigh next to nothing - leaving them in probably wouldn't make much difference in weight - but they're a pain in the ass. I doubt it makes much aero difference either - my just-made-it-up theory is that by removing the liner you allow the air to escape out the rear of the fender. [Big Grin]

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's raise the bar on this conversation...

When are you guys going to get to the advantage at the air inlet after removing the liner?

Does the airflow created reduce temps in the engine compartment? Does a properly placed cone filter gain or loose flow based on this concept?

This has been studied before

Paging Dwayne Hoover

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: