Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Removing stickers?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Removing stickers?
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did my first set of numbers myself...and it shows.

Any tips on removing large pieces of vinyl from my car to prevent taking them off in 10k pieces?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

heat gun

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kevin is right, or just a really warm garage. At any temperature below about 70F, the vinyl gets brittle, especially if it's old.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've used a small propane torch before, but that was because I couldn't find a heat gun or a hair dryer.

Note do not apply the flame directly to the vinyl.....

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Child labor; your kids. No need to worry about number of pieces. [Big Grin]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get a 500watt stage lamp, heat the whole panel first, then peel away. You need finger nails!
Use Goof Off miracle remover to clean excess glue.

--------------------
Jerry

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i use a hair dryer.
get the vinyl warm and slowly pull it at an angle(you will find the correct angle that makes it easy with trial and error).
wd-40 removes the adhesive left behind, as does goo gone or other stuff already mentioned.
there is also a plastic spatula/scraper available that works well for this job.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like Kevin said, use a heat gun. You can buy one at a local auto body supplier. Hair dryer takes too long. Just keep the heat gun moving and don't keep too close, they get very,very hot and fast.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nothing works like 3M general purpose adhesive remover sold at Napa. In some cases you just soak the decal for a while and just slide it off. For stuborn decals I warm and peel first, but always finish off with the adhesive remover. Also works great for removing rubber marks on paint, and cleaning fluids/oil spills!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Harbor Freight has a pretty cheap heat gun that I have used for years. Be sure to use the 20% off coupon, available in any auto mag. I second the 3M adhesive remover.
wheel

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wonderful...thanks everyone! I was thinking heat gun but figured I'd ask before another episode of, "This should be easy... How to do it wrong 40 ways before you ask for advice from people who know what they're doing."

I do like the 3M adhesive remover. After seeing what a great job it did removing the tire wall from the side of Ken's car, I borrowed some and it did a great job of getting somone elses front tire and bumper from being a permanent stain on my bumper.
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce,

Thanks for the NAPA 3M pointer. That sounds way easier and safer than the heat gun method that I've always used. Any impact to the paint when using this solvent?

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3M makes an eraser wheel for you drill (low speed Drill) that works great for really stubborn decals just dont use it on your bumpers!!!

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
After seeing what a great job it did removing the tire wall from the side of Ken's car
I though we agreed to never mention that again! [Wink]

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Bruce,

Thanks for the NAPA 3M pointer. That sounds way easier and safer than the heat gun method that I've always used. Any impact to the paint when using this solvent?

No impact to the paint other than maybe removing the wax.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
Harbor Freight has a pretty cheap heat gun that I have used for years. Be sure to use the 20% off coupon, available in any auto mag. I second the 3M adhesive remover.
wheel

HF also sells a nice 3-pack of plastic putty knives that work well for scraping decals off.

One word of advice on using a heat gun (HF or otherwise) - depending upon your paint type you may heat it up enough to pull it off along with the decal.

Don't ask me how I know.

Signed,
Offering a racecar for painting to the local community college

[Smile]

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i've alway's used lighter fluid to remove double sided tape, decal's, sticker's, you name it. squirt a bit on, let it soak in and peal away.

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you can go to the local harwadre and get either some mineral spirits (weak solvent) or something a little heavier duty like zylene or tolulene, buy the gallon, you can use this stuff for all kinds of things.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: