Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Maximum spacer size?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Maximum spacer size?
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There are several spacer sizes on the market. What is the maximum spacer size for a 30 offset wheel??

Thanks...
Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

5mm

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The goal is 25mm(max offset). I believe the max spacer is 13mm regardless of wheel.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe there is a maximum track width which you can not exceed. What is the maximum size of wheel spacer you can use with a 30 mm offset wheel to achieve maximum track width without exceeding SM rules? I am sure spacers are used with 25mm wheels so 5 mm can't be the correct number. And 13mm spacer may exceed the max track width, yes?

Thanks again...

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

in theory spacers can not be used with 25mm offset wheels and stay within the track width limit.25mm is as wide as you can go there for 5mm is the largest spacer you can use with your 30mm offset wheels.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1st...assuming you are using 15x7 wheels 25mm offset is the perfect number on a miata to hit the max.track width that has been set in the rules as Chris said. There is a number but I don't know it off the top of my head.

So when you use a spacer on a wheel you have to subtract it's thickness from your offset on the wheel. 30mm-5mmspacer=25mm offset...perfect. But if you have a 40mm offset wheel the largest spacer you can use legally is 13mm which would put you at 27mm...best you can do.

Offset is measured from the C/L of the wheel to the mounting surface. At 0 offset the mounting surface is C/L of the wheel which puts more wheel to the outside of the car. Sorry if you know how this works...this got me confused when I asked the same questions you did and someone explained it to me.

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As one of the people who measured a couple dozen cars to get the specs:

The max allowable tread width is designed for a 25mm wheel with no spacer. If you have a 30mm wheel, you are allowed a 5mm spacer per wheel.

The spacers must be the same per axle. In other words if you have 5mm spacer on the right front, you must use a 5mm spacer on the left front. You are allowed to use a different or no spacer on the other axle.

This is designed to eliminate 10mm on one side and none on the otherside, thus creating an offset chassis.

Maximum allowable spacer is 13mm thick.

Only one spacer per wheel.

dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

W. Bonsell

Ok...thanks everyone for clearing the fog which often surrounds me...Looks like I will be purchasing 4 - 5mm spacers to use with my 30 offset wheels...(also looks like my son bought the wrong size spacers).

Thanks,
Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

quote:
Originally posted by W. Bonsell:
Ok...thanks everyone for clearing the fog which often surrounds me...Looks like I will be purchasing 4 - 5mm spacers to use with my 30 offset wheels...(also looks like my son bought the wrong size spacers).

Thanks,
Bill

Bigger is better theory just went out the window [Big Grin]

--------------------
-RA

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You may need longer studs (than stock) if you don't have them already.
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So a wheel with a 38mm offset (5.5" backspacing) would need a 13mm spacer to be barely legal per the ruleset?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
So a wheel with a 38mm offset (5.5" backspacing) would need a 13mm spacer to be barely legal per the ruleset?

The rule says not to exceed the track width. So you can run the 38 offset just as it is, your track will be 26mm under. With the 13mm spacer you will be at max track.
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:

You aren't "barely" or even "over" the offset allowance with a 13mm spacer: you're exact. Maximum spacer size is 13mm and when used on that 38mm offset wheel you are at the maximum track width allowed.

Going to a 14mm spacer would put you "greater" in width (by 1mm) if used with the same wheel.

It's counter intuitive but adding spacers deducts from a wheel's offset which in turn puts the outside edge of the wheel further away from the vehicle's centerline thus widening it's track.

38mm offset wheel == 13mm spacer == legal width
30mm offset wheel == 5mm spacer == legal width
30mm offset wheel == 13mm spacer == illegal width
25mm offset wheel == 0mm space == legal width

I'm even having trouble visualizing what I'm trying to write and have it make sense!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: