Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Mac Spikes... the passing of a great man

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Mac Spikes... the passing of a great man
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We are all saddened by the loss of a dear man and great friend today in Mac Spikes. Mac passed away early this morning at home with his loving family after a hard battle with cancer. He was a perfect example of what a father should be. If I can be half the father to my children as he was to his, I will feel like I accomplished something in my life.
Mac loved this class and these boards and the SCCA crowd in general. While Mac liked racing, he loved the people. Whenever he was at event, you knew you would have a good time. He was th kindg of Nicknames.. I think he has giving all of one along the way. I think I have about 5 now. Somehow, he had a way of just brightening the entire weekend. His Texas Drawl will live in my mind for the rest of my life. I will sure miss that guy, I miss him already.
When arrangements are made, I will pass along.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am very sorry to hear this news. I never met him, but always enjoyed his insight into life and our class. He will be missed.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Bad Al Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: WDC
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bad Al Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That sucks

--------------------
"Bad"Al Bell
SM/SSM #3 "JD"
SM #09 "Nadine"
2006 MARRS SM Champion
DC Region SM Driver's Co-Rep
SM cars for sale and rent, and rent-to-own
www.MEATHEADRacing.com

sdewey Verified Driver
the true 2004 East Coast MiataCup Champ

Region: Washington DC
Car #: 32, 19, 8
Year : 1990 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sdewey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very sorry to hear this, thoughts go out to his family. I met big Mac at the very first SM ARRC with DDG, Karl and the rest of the original SM gang, and always loved catching up with him at various enduros over the years. Mac always had time to drop what he was doing in the paddock and had time to chat with you. His presence will be greatly missed.

--------------------
-shawn dewey
Dewspeed Motorsports

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RIP Mac. Great guy.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very sad indeed. Although I never met him, I could tell he was exactly as Jim described him. He brightened up these posts with his wit and was always charitable to others causes. We have lost a good one, but we are better off for having had him in our life.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So sad to hear. We never met, but Mac did bring lightness to the site & I'm sure to everyones life.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

EMI

Region: Ark
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As Jim stated above Mac Spikes was one of the good guys. Always with a smile or a quip about something. I got to watch a race or two with Mac at the RunOffs this year, and enjoyed every minute of it. Although I only knew him for a few years, there is true sorrow in my heart and there will be a void in our world without Mac.

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens
Sponsor, motorhome driver, chef, and Dad to #26 SM Chris Edens

"Don't eat the track food, it'll kill ya!"

oanglade Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta Region
Car #: 11
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oanglade     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We've lost one of the great ones today. I am just glad that I had the good fortune to call him my friend.
Rest in peace.

--------------------
Ony Anglade

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RIP Mac. I was glad to meet and race with him on his trip up to Road America several years back.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I only knew him from here but what a loss for the community [Frown]

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RIP Mac, you were one of the good guys and will be missed.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My prayers are with his family and friends.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Serge Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: New England
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Serge     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Along with Shawn Dewey, I also had the great pleasure and honor to have met Mac and the original Southwest SM gang at the first SM ARRC invitational. The SM paddock at Road Atlanta was divided into two separate camps; the northeast and the southwest, Mac was quick to bridge the gap with is humor and diplomatic ease, although the Texan beer that he brought along certainly helped warm our cautious New Englanders attitude towards “them” Texans.
Mac was everyone’s friend, always with a big smile and an enthusiastic greeting whenever we would run into each other during the following years. I’ll especially miss his well written and sometimes sarcastic post on this board.
Mac will be missed.

--------------------
Serge Lentz
Belgo-Am Racing
FP Miata #3
SM/SSM Retired

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great story Serge. I never had the pleasure in person but he and I have talked many times on the phone. A loss for every group he was involved in.

Rest in Peace.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some of you may or may not know I purchased Mac's V8R 1999 miata about a month ago. Never having met him, I still feel about a great sense of loss, just by speaaking with the people who new him well. There will be a dedication on Mac's car as long as I own it. My condolences to all.. RIP, Dan

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got too many stories about ole Mac that bring back too many good memories. It was my pleasure to know him and call him my friend.

Maybe our Aggies will beat LSU in the Cotton Bowl for ole Mac. I sure hope so.

Rest in peace Mac,
Light Heavy

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am sad. My prayers are with his family.

Craig J

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I still remember buying my first spec miata from him. Car was red and gold before I later painted it blue. He will be missed, he was such a funny guy and fun to hang around.

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

JoeCole Verified Driver

Region: Texas
Car #: 48
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JoeCole   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. I'm sad that Mac is gone, but it's good to know that he was surrounded by his SM brothers during his final days. He will be missed. Sorely missed.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Although like many I knew this was coming, getting the text this morning caused me to pause for a few minutes. Mac was a nice guy that enjoyed life. I appreciated that and I will miss him.

Godspeed.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RIP Mac. Thoughts and prayers with his family.

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

taake1201 Verified Driver
Bankrupt Racer

Region: Houston (SOWDIV)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taake1201     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, thoughts and prayers to his family. I can't think of a greater ambassador than Mac for racing, golf, or even life itself. This one hurts.

I am glad he was a part of our lives. I have many wonderful memories and I will miss him.

--------------------
Steve Taake
#5 SSB Mazda MX-5
Miatacage.Com/Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/Carbotech/Summit Racing/Pro Am Auto Accessories

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A true friend, my life is better having known him. He will be missed...

Mark Zwolle

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's way too easy to get so complacent and assume your friends are going to live forever. Mac Spikes was such a strong person with such a larger-than-life personality that it was even easier to imagine him always being a part of our lives. Even after the diagnosis and during his fight you just had this feeling that Mac was going to win. Mac looked me in the eye earlier this year and told me he was going to lose - but I stubbornly hoped and thought he was wrong. Well, he was right and he's gone... but I learned today at his memorial service that he had such an impact on his friends and especially family that his memory will live beyond forever.

Over the past six months, I was involved in a project to help build Mac's dream car. He'd raced Mazda Miatas and long as I'd known him, and he was as passionate about them as he was about his whole life. Here was a man who lived his dreams, in every way possible - yet he yearned for an even more impactful racing experience. He knew it would be the last race car he built, and the urgency of that fact often came through in his frustration of it not being done as soon as he'd hoped.

He had heard of and seen a Miata race car that someone had squeezed a Corvette engine into, and he wanted to have one like that to have a last summer of fun. That wretched complacency that tricks us into imagining our friends being immortal, combined with a busy summer and the complexity of the project, meant that the project fell short and Mac never got to drive his dream car.

Today got me thinking... that car is a bit of a mirror of Mac's life. It was small, but it was very powerful. It was extremely fun but very complex. It was very recognizable but under the skin completely unique. And sadly, and most poignantly I think - it wasn't finished in time. I feel like Mac was taken away from his family and friends before he was finished, as his dream car was taken away from him before it was finished. The car was sold a month or so ago, and shipped away. I hope the new owner knows how special that car is and takes great care of it.

Mac was many things... A husband, a father. A PGA golf professional and a passionate auto racer and enthusiast. But the thing that sticks out the most to me is that he was kind. He was that rare combination of tough and sweet. He knew when to love and when to love tough - and he loved so many people.

I've been very fortunate in the last few years in reaching my dream as a professional racer. Along the way, at every milestone in my career I've received the heartiest congratulations and praise from Mac. He always stopped by, called or started an online thread somewhere to root for my accomplishments. Whenever he wrote about me, it was as if he was genuinely proud of me... proud to know me.

Today, I am proud of Mac for the life that he lived and the joy that he brought to his family and friends... and I am proud to have known him.

Godspeed Mac - I know that in heaven, there are no tire walls!

Love,

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just back from Macs services. While it was sad, it was a celebration of a great mans life. Mac spoke to the reverend before his passing. In typically Mac fashion, Mac was able to reference "Talladega Nights' and just like Ricky Bobby, he preferred to pray to the baby Jesus.
I love that guy!
they had a video going of pictures throughout Macs life. Had we seen some of those pictures before his passing, we could have had even more fun with him. [Big Grin]
We will all miss him dearly!

Here are a few pictures...

-

-

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

-

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason,

Dr. Dan now owns the car, and he absolutely knows how special the car is and what it meant to Mac. It is in very good hands, indeed.

My condolences to all those who counted Mac as a friend. I corresponded with him as we built similar cars in parallel, and he seemed like a genuinely great guy.

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

@Jason - that was very nicely written.

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

trey

Region: houston
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Seeing those pics of Mac's golf bags remind me that Mac was just as loved in the Golf Biz as in Racing .

In the early days of SM , I remember seeing Mac's name in a race result ... I thought , could that be the same Mac I know from the golf biz ? ... So I gave him a ring and proceeded to talk me into building an SM.

It's no surprise that SM became so popular with guys like Mac promoting the cars.

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Jason and Jim, wonderful words remembering a wonderful man. He will be missed.

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have very fond memories of Mac, I ran into him many times over the years. He loved to do the endurance races and came to Summit Point for the 12 hour many times.

One year at the 12 hour he was racing in another class but near the end the SSM battle was very close. After 11.5 hours the two lead cars were on the same lap separated by less than 20 seconds. We were in the lead and watching our progress very closely. As we approached cars in other classes we would go to there pit stall and solicit help. Basically we asked for a quick point by and that maybe they would get a little racy with our competition.

We got to Mac's team and he was in the car. They handed me the radio and I tried to relay to Mac what we were trying to do and could he help. He kept yelling back "MIke (yes capital I if you listend to Mac say my name you knew the I was a capital letter) I don't understand". Then his lovely daughter grabbed the radio from me and yelled into the mic "Daddy block the yeller car". Mac simply replied Ok and he raced that car very hard for several laps. Mac helped us win the race and for that we are very thankful and will remember him always. We tell the story often.

Godspeed Mac, may you rest in peace.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

MegaModerator

Man that is funny! I can hear him saying MIIIIKE as I type.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Jason Meise Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: Lone Star / Washington DC
Car #: 54
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Meise     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the privilege of knowing Mac and that is what it exactly was a, privilege. He was a guy that made everything more fun as long as he was there. He was a great role model, friend, and father. Like Drago said. "If I can be half the father to my children as he was to his, I will feel like I accomplished something in my life." He was an inspiration to me and many others he has met. You will be missed Mac

Mac was truly the definition of a "class act"

[ 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Jason Meise ]

--------------------
Jason Meise
2001 MARRS Champion
http://www.ctbrakes.com
President: Bobby Carter's "washed up race car driver club"
we're always looking for "old" members

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't get to meet Mac at the ARRC a couple years ago, but every time I saw the Texas license plate on his race car that said "AH D OS" I had to chuckle a little. And I never did get to see the front of that race car while on track. [rolling on floor laughin]

taake1201 Verified Driver
Bankrupt Racer

Region: Houston (SOWDIV)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taake1201     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For those of you wishing to make a donation in Mac's honor (per his obituary), the organization is a non-profit so, you may be able to get a company matching gift. Here are the details:

Mac Spikes Scholarship
Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation
15150 Preston Road, Suite 250
Dallas, Texas 75248
Tax Id 75-2216940

Just wanted to pass this along for those that might be able to further leverage their gift.

--------------------
Steve Taake
#5 SSB Mazda MX-5
Miatacage.Com/Mazdaspeed/Hoosier/Carbotech/Summit Racing/Pro Am Auto Accessories

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: