Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Racing game frame/controls?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing game frame/controls?
Newt Watson Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 41
Car #: 95
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Newt Watson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am wanting to buy/build a racing seat frame to use with a gaming console at the track to project on the trailer at night. Which manufacturer is favored or does anyone have advice on dimensions, etc... to weld my own? We have a spare Sparco Evo seat, so we just need plans for a frame. Which steering wheel/pedals work best? Thanks, as you can tell I am not a gaming person......

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I built one from mdf for about $75 in materials.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
I built one from mdf for about $75 in materials.

Pics please! I started welding one up but decided I wanted to go a different way. I'm just not sure which way.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.f1design.us/04_racing_sim/02_cockpit/index.htm. I used this as a template.

--------------------

Thomas Benham

Region: Detroit
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Thomas Benham     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?topic=894.0

--------------------
Thomas Benham

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bonus points to the first guy that builds one out of an old NA tub. [Wink]

For pedal/wheels I like the Logitech G25. They've "updated" it to the G27. It's pretty spendy, at about $250 new and sometimes hard to find.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels/devices/5184

Dave

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Newt,

You had better check the GCR; your Sparco seat will have to be mounted utilizing lateral brackets if you don't have a back support. [Smile]

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Newt Watson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Logitech G27 looks like the ticket, thanks. The Sparco is going to be on a slider bracket, so the geometry for the back bracing support bracket is going to be tricky. [thumbsup]

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Forget the slider bracket, you should build one like this http://www.cruden.com/motorsport/meet-our-simulator/ [yep]

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Newt Watson:
The Logitech G27 looks like the ticket, thanks. The Sparco is going to be on a slider bracket, so the geometry for the back bracing support bracket is going to be tricky. [thumbsup]

G27 is a good piece.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Stevens:

For pedal/wheels I like the Logitech G25. They've "updated" it to the G27. It's pretty spendy, at about $250 new and sometimes hard to find.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels/devices/5184

Dave

I actually made an effort to bed on the USF1 team's tub, in last summer's liquidation auction, for just that purpose! That, and the fact that it would just be cool to say "I own a F1 car"!

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Impressive piece of machinery Mike LL, but I think it would require another trailer to get it to the track and another generator to power it.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Potential hijack...how much computing power is necessary to run the typical racing sim? I'm just finishing one with a seat that doesn't fit my car, a G25, and building supplies I had laying around. I put castors on it to be able to move it out of the way easily when I want.

I have an older 2.8 Mhz pentium with a decent graphics card collecting dust and I'm thinking about getting another montior and having a stand-alone system in the basement so I don't have a huge freaking simulator in my home office and the hassle of moving stuff around to use it.

It works fine for Race '07 but I don't know if newer games would need more power.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith
the 2.8 will work and your graphics card might be ok, the main thing is Ram. You want at least 2 gig over what your OS is using. And don't use Vista.

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bummer. Oh well. It was fast when I built it but that answers that question. Thanks. [Frown] [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

terrell garrett
sanitation engineer

Region: nw
Car #: 8 is great
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for terrell garrett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith, I have iracing. Let's see who's the best after all.

By the way, are we going to Thill? PM me.

Terrell

--------------------
terrell garrett

I mainly play GT5 and for the time being the g25/g27 is not compatible entirely with that system. Im using the pro driver from logitech.

for anyone looking at the f1design -- as a big fat ass I have the unfortunate issue of pulling my big fat ass out of my racecar ... the f1 sim has made me a lot more fit in this area [Razz]

--------------------

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike LL:
Keith
the 2.8 will work and your graphics card might be ok, the main thing is Ram. You want at least 2 gig over what your OS is using. And don't use Vista.

If you don't have a 64 bit OS you won't see more than 3GB of RAM. As for Vista, for the last couple of years I've been using Vista 64 bit Business on a 4 core, 3 Ghz Xeon with 10 gig of RAM and a Geforce video card. It's awesome.

Oh, and it's the Bootcamp partition of a Mac Pro. [Wink] Works great for Bendtech and AIM Race Studio too.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

tom_hampton

Region: SW
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Video card is primary performance driver in the sim. I have a core i7 with 4gb ram and a nvidia gtx295.

Most sims only use one core. I run gtr evolution and run rfactor. Neither game even uses all of one core.

The other key is that the human eye us much more sensitive to changes in frame rates. You are better off with a rock solid 30 fps than a rate that varies from 30 to 60. I lock my frame rate to my display refresh at 60 fps. Then up the video quality until frame rate drops out. Then back off a step or two.

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton
Miata build: http://www.tomhampton.info

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
http://www.f1design.us/04_racing_sim/02_cockpit/index.htm. I used this as a template.

Link no work-y...this one where you wanted to go to?

F1 Design's SIM Cockpit

Zack Skolnick

Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zack Skolnick   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am a dealer for Playseat Racing Cockpits (www.playseatusa.com) send me a PM if your interested

--------------------
Zack Skolnick #89
Rossini Race Products/ Piloti /Zamp Racing Helmets/ Playseat USA
http://www.rossiniracing.com

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Older 4 core Intel, 4 gigs, an <$100 vid card and W7 gets me to 59FPS which is as much as you need. High frame rates are not an advantage in this game.
Playseat and G27 works well.

So when are we going to have an sm.com series?
I'll host if you guys show up. It's $3 so I'm a real sport.
Will Playseat sponsor a series Zack?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike LL:
Keith

If you don't have a 64 bit OS you won't see more than 3GB of RAM.

not to get too nerdy, but this is not accurate. most 32 bit OS's have 4GB memory spaces per process regardless of RAM size. windows by default will split that into 2gb for kernel and 2gb for user mode (normal apps). some windows versions allow you to change that to 1gb/3gb split. more importantly, if an app is written to take advantage of it, physical address extensions allow 32bit apps on 32bit os's to address much larger memory spaces - see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/paedrv.mspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366796.aspx

back to your regularly scheduled programming.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by amolaver:
not to get too nerdy.....

Oops, too late. [Smile]

64 bit OS good for 3/10ths at Road Atlanta.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Time to get nerdy - [Wink]

Suffice it to say, there's a lot of misunderstanding (and misinformation) out there on the 't00bz regarding the "4GB limit" on 32bit operating systems.

It essentially boils down to this:
If you're running WinXP32, installing more then 3GB of RAM will gain you zilch in terms of performance and/or ability to have "more applications" running or said applications being able to use more than 2GB of RAM.

There are specially designed applications that are able to escape this 2GB limit while on a 32bit OS (some parts of Adobe's line of applications) but mainly you are capped regardless.

Getting into PAE and those pseudo "block-addressing" cheats while under 32bit mode can and do work for servers (you're sometimes dealing with systems that have 8GB+) but it's entirely too much overhead for client OS's to utilize.

To sum up:
If you're running anything "Vista32 or below", keep your RAM count at 4GB max (but be aware you're not going to notice any benefits above running 3GB).

If you're running Windows7 - be sure to run 64bit if possible with 4GB of RAM or more. And if you're really into geeking out, then also be sure to build a triple memory controller system with some multiple of 3 for a RAM total (6GB, 12GB).

Signed,
15 years in IT
[Smile]

tom_hampton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith-

The odds are if you are running Race07 with 10-15 other cars, and are happy with the quality, you won't have much trouble with anything else that is available today for car sims. The requirements haven't changed that much since Race07 was released. If you want a more exact answer, read on and answer a couple questions for me. My personal system is a fairly high-end system, but it certainly isn't necessary (nor is it maxed out). I went the route I did for future-proofing more than needs at the time. Most of it goes unused today.

I'm a computer systems engineer, 17 years in. I spent 5 years as a lead engineer at HP designing high-end intel based workstations, and writing the BIOS software for those machines.

Gaming systems aren't complicated, and most of the info about 4GB limits/PAE is just complicating a fairly simple problem. Its like getting into Boundary layer effects to explain Bernoulli's Principle. As I said above (albeit tersely because I was using my phone), 3d gaming is generally limited by graphics card performance...NOT processor or memory considerations. So, the discussions above (while mostly true) don't really come into play.

All the above though is just spouting generalities without knowing what you have (beyond a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4), or what you want to run on it. So, questions:

What year did you buy the machine? Different generations of the pentium 4 have different performance.

What sim are you wanting to run?

What are the other specs of your current machine (memory, graphics card, hard drive(s))?

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

BrianW

Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know several people that have one of these: http://www.obutto.com/ and are happy with them.

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a Bob Earl VRC. http://www.bobearlracing.com

This is what my rig looks like. I use it for iRacing.
 -

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

Pack Fodder

Tom- It's about 4 years old. In true SM fashion, saving some $ over the ultra-high end pro-build, I went with a 2.8 for overclocking potential on an ASUS AG8 Mobo, 2GB of matched RAM, good vid card for the year but don't recall the specs, 6800GT something, added enough cooling fans to power a hovercraft, and pushed it until sirens went off. [Razz]

Last I tried to upgrade a (4yo) dinosour, I found newer parts not compatible with older software and then newer software wouldn't drive older parts, so I bought a new shell and filled it with fast, solid, but not ultraspendy parts.

Now I don't know what I'm looking at. I could research it and build another. Don't seem very motivated, or have the time, and I'd rather use the money for my real race car. Most off-the-shelf systems come with integrated graphics until you get into ones I could build for less (if I was motivated and had the time). My old one, I could probably use the shell and the drives or stuff a bunch of RAM in the slots and see what happens.

I figure I can schlepp the laptop around (not a bad rig for the size) and run the settings low until I get disgusted with it.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

tom_hampton

Kieth-

You're still in pretty good shape. It looks like you have a pci-e mobo. It's most likely the older standard, but it's forward compatible. The 6800gt will be your limiter. For about $150 you can upgrade to an nvidia gtx series card that will make a big difference in video quality and frame rate. I'd recommend a 1 GB card. you could go as high as a 2GB card. The extra memory would let you run higher resolutions. This really only matters if you run a multiple monitor setup..our plan too.

Like you say it depends on your motivation and tolerance for lower quality. Since I started driving I only use the sim to get familiar with new tracks..or to try out different lines, shift our breaking points. I can't see spending $700 on a triple monitor setup when I could buy tires!

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tom_hampton

Don't get me wrong, Colin...I'd love to have a triplehead setup..but, at the moment I have to choose between tires and simulator stuff.

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone tried iRacing with the XBox or PS3? If so, what did you use for steering wheel and controls?

Colin MacLean Verified Driver
Fly Fifer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Colin MacLean     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Randy Thieme:
Has anyone tried iRacing with the XBox or PS3? If so, what did you use for steering wheel and controls?

PC only. Doesn't work with the PS3 or XBox.

--------------------
Colin MacLean
Flyin' MacLean Motorsports

quote:
Dave

we had one from a 99 chassis. It wasn't as cool as you'd think.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: