Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Transponder Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Transponder Question
George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking to purchase a AMB Transponder. Either the MYLAPS Transponder Car Direct Power Transponder (This transponder connects directly to your carís 12V battery and is the best choice if you do not switch cars and you need a permanent, maintenance-free solution or the
MYLAPS Rechargeable Power_Transponder (This transponder comes with a charger and provides the best solution if you do not use a 12V car battery or switch cars often).

Any input would be helpful.

George

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hardwire.
Install it and forget it.

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've owned both. I have a hardwire right now. You can make the hardwire more portable by putting a connector on it and putting it in a wheel well where you can just take four bolts off. With a hardwire you don't have to worry about charging. After a few years the batteries do wear down and it holds less of a charge. I'd get the hardwire. The prices are pretty much stable from dealer to dealer. I got my last one at Racer Parts Wholesale in Indianapolis.

I'll save for another time the story of a tech inspector and race director from a major national sanctioning body never seeing a hardwire and questioning me if it was an illegal electronics device. No, really...

Dave

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

Michael53

Region: NEOKLA
Car #: 53
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael53     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had my rechargeable 6 years now and while it's preformed very well; it is embarrassing to show up at an event and have to rent one because you forgot to charge it or it got unplugged and didn't charge. ...and like any rechargeable product, at some point the batteries will need to be replaced. I'm going to try and get through the 2011 season; but then it's off to Australia with $100 for battery replacement. hindsight... I would have preferred the hardwired unit...one less thing to worry about/prepare on race weekends. (http://www.transponderservices.com)

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Might be worth your time to search for a group buy on the internet. I've seen a few of them happen in the past.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Dave Stevens

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karting and car clubs do group buys at the beginning of the season to replenish rental stock, etc. I got my first one in a group buy. You don't save a whole lot but it was enough to make it worth it.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Stevens:
I've owned both. I have a hardwire right now. You can make the hardwire more portable by putting a connector on it and putting it in a wheel well where you can just take four bolts off. With a hardwire you don't have to worry about charging. After a few years the batteries do wear down and it holds less of a charge. I'd get the hardwire. The prices are pretty much stable from dealer to dealer. I got my last one at Racer Parts Wholesale in Indianapolis.

I'll save for another time the story of a tech inspector and race director from a major national sanctioning body never seeing a hardwire and questioning me if it was an illegal electronics device. No, really...

Dave

Dave,

That sounds like a very interesting story. Post some time.

George

George B

Thanks for the responses. You guys are making this a no brainier.

George B

Where is the preferred location to mount the transponder?

George

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George, Probably the easiest spot is inside the front L wheel well. It's near the front and hard to get damaged there. There are threaded holes already in a perfect spot for mounting (I just use one bolt). There's a hole directly above to run the wire straight up into the engine bay, and a power source directly above it (blue plug near the diagnostic box used for timing). Protect the wire from chafing. Splicing short wires is a PITA, especially when it's short notice...and raining.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am trying to make the same decision. One idea I had was to get the rechargeable one and rent it to my friends when they do open track days. Is it possible to put a plug on the end of the wired transponder to be able to unplug it and transfer it another vehicle so I could rent it out? I am thinking to make an adapter that would plug into the cigarette lighter for friends cars. I am just thinking of ways to try and make some money on all of this stuff I have to buy to race.
What do you guys think?
I understand there will be a risk involved with letting friends rent it.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Dave Stevens

quote:
Originally posted by George B:

That sounds like a very interesting story. Post some time.

When it happened I posted some about it on the blog. What happened was I was using a rechargeable TranX160 from my kart (yellow one). It worked great except when more than another car or so passed over the stripe with me and it wouldn't register my pass. I bought a wired 260X (red one) and put it on the car in the right from wheel well.

For the last couple of years I've been running a hobby stock in the NASCAR Whelen All American Series at the Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The second or third race after I put the hardwire in I got dinged in pre tech. The inspector asked "what is that red box on your firewall?". It wasn't on the firewall, it was in the wheel well. Just like the AMB docs say to mount it. My first thought was to say "you mean the part that says AMB/MyLaps TranX260 transponder?" But that could get the all encompassing "actions detrimental to stock car racing" penalty.

Now the race director shows up. I say "guys, that's a hardwired transponder". And they are looking at it to see that it goes back to the fuse block. WTF? The RD says "what's it doing there?" I wanted to say "Uhh, sending my scoring info to your tower, DUH!" But I asked "excuse me. I don't understand". The RD says I need to put it in a rear wheel well. No problem but where is that stated in the rules? (it's not). On one level it was pretty Keystone Cops but back in reality it was scary that a guy that had a NASCAR inspector license and a guy that was an RD for a multi billion dollar outfit (SMI, owners of the Bullring and LVMS) hadn't seen an hardwired transponder. I was standing there thinking "is this really happening?". Now the Chief Inspector/Head Tech (and a very cool guy) comes along and knows full well what it is. He tells me to put in a rear wheel well next race and all is fine.

We'll save for another time the season before when I showed up with an AIM EVO3 on the car...

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: