Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » serious suggestion to reduce costs in Spec Miata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: serious suggestion to reduce costs in Spec Miata
xczach

Icon 1 posted  Profile for xczach     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Miata should seriously consider going to sealed motors, like Spec Racer Ford and Formula SCCA have done. It really is perfect, as engine costs seem to be the greatest expense in racing. What do you guys think?

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You may want to seriously check out SSM.

http://smugshots.specmiata.com/main.php?g2_itemId=11164

That not me.
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i think you should be able to bring your engine to the local machine shop for a typical rebuild and balance. but then mazda would sell less engines and that wouldn't fly.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

use the search button.. it is your friend. [Big Grin] This has been discussed numerous times
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or build a new SM5, they have sealed motors.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Engine costs are not even close to the most costly part of racing. A good pro motor used over a three season time span costs about 150.00 per weekend. Bottom line is in my opinion the car and motor are the cheapest part of racing and that racing itself is the expensive part tires,gas,motel,food,entry,test days ect....what you will find if you search about this is that the people who have the money will just buy 10 to find 1 good one just like in fe and srf

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]
Its that time of year again [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do we seal the motors with regular seals or baby seals?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can we please have a serious discussion here Snyder?

Geez. [Wink]

Glenn Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Lance is here till New years eve, 2 shows a night, and please tip your server well.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:

I'm thinking baby seals because that's a more sustainable (green) solution. Mommy seals can always have more of those cute babies...

What the hell is Mathias windging about anyway?

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Glenn Verified Driver

Yeah but when the mommy seals get too old the daddy seals will be looking for "young blood"

--------------------
Glenn

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Worse yet is when the daddy seals just aren't enough anymore and mommy seals turn into cougars.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Daddy seals won't stray, if they are blown seals.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Windging?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Windging?

British term...means politely bitching. Great word.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Windging?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080427045843AAnaoEw

J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Mike Anzaldi

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Anzaldi     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Haldeman:
A good pro motor used over a three season time span costs about 150.00 per weekend.

since when does a pro motor last 3 seasons? if you are getting 40 weekends out of your pro motor, then i would like the name and number of your builder. sign me up.

a more realistic prediction is 25 hours. 10 weekends, maybe. after you install that $6000 motor, i was thinking the engine cost is closer to $750 per weekend. the cost of the engine is indeed, my greatest single expense. perhaps everything costs more here in chicago, and i'd love for my numbers to be wrong, but i'm not seeing anyone getting 80+ hours out of a pro motor around here. lovin' the idea of the crate motor, and looking very much forward to the transition into SM5.

--------------------
Mike

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or you could just do like me and run the 50K mile factory motor that came in the car new and say to hell with it. If I'm at the back of the pack, the motor is probably not the biggest reason. [Smile]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the part of the argument that gets alittle confusing these motors will easily do three seasons. I just put about 40hours on mine this year and it still runs great. Would it win the runoffs no but neither would I. If you are really totally losing your motors after 25 hours you need a new builder for sure pm me for a list. The point is there is not going to be a sealed motor program and this is all [banghead] [banghead]

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My engine builder recommends a rebuild after 50 hours.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Anzaldi:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Haldeman:
A good pro motor used over a three season time span costs about 150.00 per weekend.

since when does a pro motor last 3 seasons? if you are getting 40 weekends out of your pro motor, then i would like the name and number of your builder. sign me up.

a more realistic prediction is 25 hours. 10 weekends, maybe. after you install that $6000 motor, i was thinking the engine cost is closer to $750 per weekend. the cost of the engine is indeed, my greatest single expense. perhaps everything costs more here in chicago, and i'd love for my numbers to be wrong, but i'm not seeing anyone getting 80+ hours out of a pro motor around here. lovin' the idea of the crate motor, and looking very much forward to the transition into SM5.

My previous motor that I just changed out for the 2010 runoffs, ran 2 1/2 seasons. That is about 17 weekends for me. Throw in testing ect, I figure I put about 75-90 hours it. It was an untouched Sunbelt run in at the factory. When I pulled it out, I think it was still viewed as a "fast" motor by my competitors.

It would be nice if my new motor last that long.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA