Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » 13' trailer too short?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 13' trailer too short?
l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone tow their miata on a trailex ct-7031 13'? How bout with tire rack over hood? Seems like a good setup, just a sanity check before I check it over this weekend.

22' Carson enclosed for sale, Good and reliable trailer and well maintained. pm if interested.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I personally have no experience with that trailer. But I think that although the trailer may fit the car, You wont have enough room for your tow straps.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AJ, Phil Kogan now owns my 13' trailer I had custom built. Phil is also local to you. The biggest problem is rear tiedowns, car hangs off the back so you have to climb under the car to get to the rear Aarms.
Having owned several different size and types of trailers I would suggest a standard size open trailer, you will never notice the weight or lenth difference when towing.

--------------------
Jerry

l8tbreakr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good info thank you both. The weight diff is close to 1000# considering a normal open steel trailer as this 13 is aluminum and close to the same price as a new steel open. I'm thinking of going with a real light trailer and a truck camper. For a little more weight and dollars I can get one of those 18' steel econo-trailers so it's certainly an option to think about.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The weight difference is only 500#.
If you bought a trailex of equal size as the econo trailer there is almost no difference in weight.

--------------------
Jerry

l8tbreakr

Yea you're right - 616# to be exact, to move up from a used 13' Trailex alum to a new 15' Econo steel - same price. Another 100# and $75 to go 18' (1551# total, almost twice that of the aluminum Trailex).

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey AJ

This is Phil. Jerry is correct.

I like the short open trailer. It has a tire rack over the hood of the car (holds 9 tires). It is a light trailer but has two issues. The car doors hit the trailer fenders. ( I go through the window for fun). The left fender is removable if I get too lazy to climb in and out).

Also the rear straps cross each other and I go around the rear control arms. Not as bad as it sounds as I have a foam mat that I use to sit on. A longer trailer would make that easier. Just stay light. I have been toying with an aluminum trailer to get rid of some weight.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

l8tbreakr

Thanks Phil. Any chance you have pics of your setup?

You're right - weight loss is my primary goal. I want to trade out my 22' enclosed for less weight on the hitch and a truck camper. My goal is to improve fuel economy and stay at the track in relative comfort - bed, shower, etc. But I can't do camper and enclosed, my truck isn't strong enough. And I will need space to carry a fair amount of stuff on the trailer that used to go in the back of my truck or in the enclosed - jack, stands, tires, etc. so I have to plan the space.

Thanks again for both of your inputs guys, much appreciated.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why not set up the trailer as a camper? You can have A/C added, and the other amenities can easily be obtained?

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The bed of my Trailer world aluminum trailer is custom 13 feet. they come standard 15'. I had mine made at 13' so i could back the trailer into my garage and close the door. You know how it is after a 5 or 6 hour ride home. All you want to do is park it and go inside and relax. I use the 4 tow points to tie the car down. Never had a problem.

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My open trailer is 12'6" on the bed. I tied it down using the tow hooks on the front, and through the wheels on the back.

AJ, I think I sent you the pics of how I did it but here is a link to the pics (yah, it's in the ad, sorry about that but I can't remember my smugshot password at the moment).

http://www.mazdaracers.com/classifieds/item/6-single-axle-trailer-for-miata-800/

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I own that trailer and have used since 1998. Does an awesome job and anything can tow it.

db

l8tbreakr

I looked at it today and it is a nice trailer, can even move it by hand. Figure at 845# plus typical Miata plus gear around #3000 a V6 SUV could comfortably pull it and get great gas mileage.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remember that a camper for your truck bed is going to weigh a few thousand pounds and be very tall. One of our group uses this type of setup and tows a 28ft enclosed trailer behind it. He needed Airlift helper springs for his F250, a weight dist hitch setup and just traded it for a new Cummins dually. We also have a guy that added AC, a small fridge and microwave to his 24ft enclosed trailer, built a screen door for the side and added a bunch of other homely stuff and wound up with a pretty nice place to spend nights. I have neither and usually sleep in one of these two setups with a sleeping bag and beer/food for payment ;^)

I use a steel trailer with a 16' open deck and a tire rack up front. It tows great behind a 3/4 ton diesel. I'm on the Norfolk/Medfield line just off of Rt109 if you want to come take a look if you're still on the fence about what to get.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My bed camper is 2500 dry, just for reference. It's a starcraft LeisureStar 850, similar to this:

-

My last camper was a Palamino popup that had to be at least a thousand pounds as dad and I couldn't lift it when the jacks failed:
 -

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

l8tbreakr

Thanks for the offer Cy, and nice looking camper Blake - that's travellin in style!

I didn't mean to imply that I plan to tow with a V6, I actually have a 94 F350 dually turbo diesel. It'll haul the camper and open trailer. I was really just trying to get to the lowest weight possible to improve truck mileage but the short trailer wouldn't work because with the camper I need space for storage boxes on the trailer instead of carrying stuff in the truck bed. Plus as Jerry pointed out early on, the weight/cost of a larger steel open trailer does make sense and I have the tow capacity for it so that's how I'm planning to roll. Just watching the ads now trying to put together a combo before spring. Thanks for all the help and ideas!

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weight is not the primary factor in mileage. Aero is.

I have a 5.7l 2nd gen Tundra.

When I tow an empty enclosed trailer I get about 9mpg.

When I tow a full (car on trailer and gear in bed of truck) open trailer I get about 16mpg.

If you want better mileage, get an open trailer and stay in a tent or inside a truck cap (like I do). Luxury is going to cost you.

-Kyle

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: