Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » 37 mm plate testing in 99 (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 37 mm plate testing in 99
Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too late Janssen, I saw your smarty ass post. Just not soon enough to qoute it.

And it must have been my set up was off because I am SURE it absolutely had nothing to do with the driver. [Cool]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
yes, and in my book that old man should win almost everytime [Smile]

Tard
We are agreeing again! The old man can wheel a car! You have to admit, the NA was pretty good [Smile]
Jim [/QB]

Mr. Phillips could wheel a Radio Flyer with a weedeater engine faster than most SM pilots in full prep 99s.

--------------------
Michael Ross

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cajun Miata Man:
Too late Janssen, I saw your smarty ass post. Just not soon enough to qoute it.

And it must have been my set up was off because I am SURE it absolutely had nothing to do with the driver. [Cool]

You snooze you lose. [Big Grin]

cnj

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MPR22:
quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
yes, and in my book that old man should win almost everytime [Smile]

Tard
We are agreeing again! The old man can wheel a car! You have to admit, the NA was pretty good [Smile]
Jim

Mr. Phillips could wheel a Radio Flyer with a weedeater engine faster than most SM pilots in full prep 99s. [/QB]
Which is why it would be interesting to see what he could do in a top prep 1.6.

craig J

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:
quote:
I do not judge the NB as a overdog by my performance (I am not that good).

But still you're spending your money with NASA this year as a sign of support for slowing down a car whose parity relative to your own has nothing to do with the year of the car but your own prep level and budget?
I have said over and over and over that I do not judge the overdog status by my prep or driving I look at those who are good drivers in well prepped cars that do not run where they did say in '07 or '08, those that own both well prepped 1.6 and 99 and run the 99 even at tracks they claim to 1.6 tracks and the large number of 99 builds by folks that have said if you want to have a hope of winning drive a 99.

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

darmstrong Verified Driver

Region: sediv
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for darmstrong     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To me it seems as if those 1.6 drivers that can afford to build or purchase a new car are aquiring a 99. New racers if they can afford it are doing the same. Nobody seems to be selling any 99's, as evidenced on the classifieds, primarily 1.6 cars for sale with an occasional 1.8. I applaud NASA's willingness to attempt to level the playing field, although I do have concerns on how they have gone about it, but I don't think any of the current 99 owners need to panic, as I am sure that adjustments will be made, and hopefully early enough, and fair enough as to not alienate either the 99 drivers or the 1.6 drivers.
I can't afford to replace my 1.6, and just hope that it remains competitive.

Dave Armstrong
SM #66

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lessons learned from reading this discussion:

1. Always build the lightest car you can.
-- Ballast goes in and out as easily pencil is added and erased from a rulebook.

2. Don't get fat.
-- I can't even count on my fat fingers and fat toes the ways it creates disadvantages.

3. Clubs and businesses are different (kinda).
-- Businesses try to make their product appeal to the largest number of customers possible to maximize profit. Clubs don't and then wonder why they run out of money or become irrelevant.

4. SpecMiata is now two different classes sanctioned by two different organizations using the same brand name.
-- The smart ones knew this was inevitable several years ago.
-- One side will be dominated by expensive cars, the other by cheap ones. One side will be more fun. The other side will become irrelevant.

5. SpecMiata.com is an enduring brand.
-- Businesses strive to create powerful brands like this.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

cnj

Kent, you sure know how to win me over. I believe you just told me I am a killjoy and about to be irrelevant. I am so depressed I think I better go spend some more money on my 99 so I feel better.

Craig J

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Lessons learned from reading this discussion:

1. Always build the lightest car you can.
-- Ballast goes in and out as easily pencil is added and erased from a rulebook.

2. Don't get fat.
-- I can't even count on my fat fingers and fat toes the ways it creates disadvantages.

3. Clubs and businesses are different (kinda).
-- Businesses try to make their product appeal to the largest number of customers possible to maximize profit. Clubs don't and then wonder why they run out of money or become irrelevant.

4. SpecMiata is now two different classes sanctioned by two different organizations using the same brand name.
-- The smart ones knew this was inevitable several years ago.
-- One side will be dominated by expensive cars, the other by cheap ones. One side will be more fun. The other side will become irrelevant.

Interesting post. As far as being irrelevant, something I recently read comes to mind.

An article on Graham Rahal's history and new ride with Chip Ganassi racing specifically mentioned him winning the SCCA Runoffs on this professional motorsports website.

I just don't see that kind of press for the more relevant side?

Relevant or not, I'll be racing where the best drivers are. I can buy a 5 dollar trophy if I need one [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:

I just bumped your "Donor" Award to "Make it Rain" at Mazda Racers; Priceless!

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
Kent, you sure know how to win me over. I believe you just told me I am a killjoy and about to be irrelevant. I am so depressed I think I better go spend some more money on my 99 so I feel better.

Craig J

You can throw some my way if it will make you feel any better.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA