Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » Thinking of building a NASA SM, advice

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Thinking of building a NASA SM, advice
Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey yall. I've been here off and on, mainly in "listen mode" for the past couple years.

I purchased a '95 Miata 2 years ago and it's been my NASA HPDE car. I also plan to TT it. I do plan on jumping into wheel to wheel racing at some point. Be great to have stories to tell as I age! I was thinking of buying an SM car already built, yet think I will benefit and learn more if I build my own. I know there have been several threads on buying vs. building. I've decided on building. I already have a donor car.

My question is, where to start? I know I'll need to build it per the NASA GCR but how do I get started in tearing this "bad boy" down and building it into a NASA Spec Miata? Is there a thread that someone can direct me too.

Thanks for being patient with a Newbie!

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The VERY first place to start is the rules. They tell you exactly what you can and cannot remove. You can gut a Miata to the letter of the rules in a day with a screwdirver and a socket set!

You might also want to figure out who will build the cage as he may have some suggestions.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Apex to Apex

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Kyle. I'll send a PM.

--------------------

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Start by reading. This website has a great search function, make it your friend. Buy my book and read it. Read the GCR, then read it again. Even if you only plan on running NASA, read the SCCA rules also.

Plan on spending double the money you think it will cost. Plan on 200 hours of work to build a good car.

Get to know the local pro builder, you will need his help at some time.

dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There are several threads and blogs that document builds. Start with Wheeler's book. And get a copy of the service manual for your year. The big variables in a build are if you have the space, time, tools and mechanical ability to do the build.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Stevens:
There are several threads and blogs that document builds. Start with Wheeler's book. And get a copy of the service manual for your year. The big variables in a build are if you have the space, time, tools and mechanical ability to do the build.

+1 and with what everyone else who has already commented.

CAGE! The cage and seat are the most important thing. Identify the cage builder/installer and go from there... Then employ the wisdom from Daves book, this site and fellow SM racers in your region. Oh, and have fun! I loved building my car, liked it more than I do driving it [boggled]

[ 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: John Mueller ]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

choose a good seat, and build the cage around that seat so that you know it fits correctly.
dont build the cage, and then get the seat next.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Apex to Apex

fishguy, thx. That's what I've heard.

--------------------

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:

Plan on spending double the money you think it will cost. Plan on 200 hours of work to build a good car.

dave

Amen. I have the Excel Sheet build log to document 215 hours! And that was SM #2. Bet the first time it would 300+ hours for most.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Apex to Apex

What is the rough estimate of cost?

--------------------

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's the estimate we worked with for the bare minimum...it was close! The donor number will vary but this is what we figured.

Donor...$1500(strong 140k motor)
Suspension...$1350
Cage...$1500
Radiator...$350
exhaust...$300
Pads...$220(rotors were ok)
Intake(1.6)...$200
Seat/Harness...$500
Wheels/tires(found both used w/2 sets RA1's)...$400
Safety(net,extinguisher,kill switch)...$120
Hardtop...$900
First set up(alignment and corner weight)...$300
Steering wheel...$300
New fluids and crossed fingers [Big Grin]

Total...$7940 and we were racing, granted with a lot of old things on the car! Except for the cage and set/up no labor is included as to us this was free...but above posts are accurate!!

Don't forget driver equipment(in your race budget) though...which can be a big number!

Happy wrenching!

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Apex to Apex

Appreciate the feedback! Those tasks are about what I was expecting.

--------------------

BrianW

Region: SW
Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BrianW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My build was not based around any type of budget, so it could certainly be done for less. But it also doesn't include any type of pro motor or the new timing and fuel pressure items either. It is for a 99.

Item-Description-Vendor-Price
Donor Car-1999 NB-craigslist-$3,700
suspension kit-Spec Suspension Kit-Mazda Motorsports-$1,399
adjustable end links-End links-Advanced Autosports-$135
rollcage-Cage and install-Miata Cage, MER install-$2,700
hardtop-Silver hardtop-craigslist-$900
Hardtop brackets-Black hardtop brackets-Miata Cage-$85
radiator-Koyo-Advanced Autosports-$433
Seat mount/trans modification-Tall guy mounting-MER-$800
Painting Interior-Paint cage/interior-MER-$600
fire suppression-SafeCraft-MER-$700
seat-Pro ADV-MER-$850
harness-Schroth Profi II-PST-$360
brake pads-Cobalt-Advanced Autosports-$255
brake rotors-Brembo-Advanced Autosports-$180
Wheel studs-ARP studs-Advanced Autosports-$130
Window Mount-Stock window mount-Advanced Autosports-$25
Rear Antenna Plug-Plug for rear antenna hole-Advanced Autosports-$4
SS brake lines-lines-Advanced Autosports-$109
battery disconnect-White Rodgers Solenoid-mcmaster-$70
rollbar padding-Longacre-IO Port-$60
fuel test port-Miata Cage-Miata Cage-$80
hard top mounting kit-Miata Cage-Miata Cage-$85
steering wheel-Momo Mod 88 320mm-LTBAutosports.com-$180
Hub adapter-Momo-LTBAutosports.com-$80
Quick release-NRG Version 2.5-LTBAutosports.com-$150
steering wheel spacer-1/2" and 1"-LTBAutosports.com-$40
Exhaust-Springfield Dyno-Miata Cage-$275
Wheels/Tires-TD 1.3 wheels w/ R888-Good-win-racing-$1,075
Window Net Kit-Complete window net kit-Miata Cage-$75
Tow hooks-Front and Rear tow hooks-Miata Cage-$45
Panoramic Mirror-17"-IO Port-$70
Front Hubs-Front hub assem bly-Mazda Motorsports-$123
Restrictor plate-41MM Restrictor-Mazda Motorsports-$22
Rear wheel bearings/hubs-Rear wheel bearings/hubs-Mazda Motorsports-$110
Data Collection-AIM Pista, SmartyCam, oil pressure, water temp, brake pressure, throttle pos-MER-$3,800
Total-$19,705

Sorry for the formatting...

Dave Stevens

Region: So Cal
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Stevens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For a starter build expect 8-10k. Mine is at about 7k but there are several things I do myself, the biggest being the cage. Instead of 2500 it's about 250. I have most of the consumables, data, seat, restraints and nets. I've stripped it to the tub and I'm rebuilding or reconditioning what I can. I got a cheap donor with a strong drive train (for that old a car) and a great deal on a used top. I've had about a grand in surprises so far, I'd imagine I'm in for another grand in surprises, at least, before I'm done.

Your big ticket items in a basic build will be your cage, spec suspension, the top, tires and wheels. That's assuming your drive train is adequate to get you to the track. At the very least make sure you don't leak, have a strong enough clutch and replace all the brake parts. Doesn't matter how fast you go if you can't stop. The rest of the stuff is anywhere from 50 to a few hundred bucks but it adds up.

--------------------
The 2011 Money Furnace
http://racing.roaddog.com/

Apex to Apex

I appreciate ALL the great feedback! You guys are great! I understand most "surprises" are negative.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: