Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » Shameless pitch for coaching tips

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Shameless pitch for coaching tips
Rob Gendreau

Region: NorCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Gendreau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got a spec miata, and hope one day to go racing, but I'm still working on skills. I've been to all sorts of HPDEs, track days, etc., but I seem to be at a bit of a plateau.

I was at T-hill last week with TEAM racing, and could manage laps at about 2:23 at best. I need help getting around faster; that would probably make me a speed bump in any race.

I tried to follow a couple of guys in fast miatas with lots of decals, and seemed to lose most speed in turns 2, 9 and 14-15. It always seemed like I exited those without much oomph, like I could have entered faster. On the tighter stuff I could hold my own, and it seemed like I was pushing the edge of traction more comfortably, probably since it's slower and less scary. The G's showing on my iPhone app were higher in 3 or off 5 and in 10 than in the other turns, so intuitively I think I could go faster and still stick, but I'm not sure that's actually true.

So I'd appreciate any tips on how a noob can work to gain speed. I'll try to get a driver coach next time I'm out, but at the events I've been at recently they've been in sort of short supply so it may be down to me and my cheapo data acquisition device (Harry's lap timer).

thanks,
Rob

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well most of us donít like to type out long explanations, so I will tackle a few of your concerns. If you are waiting to be a front runner before you join us, donít waist your time. @ 2:23 you would not be last. The turns you are referring to are common stumbling blocks for most of us, they can be mastered. A video would be the best way for us to evaluate you, just be warned that you open yourself the some of the worst comments. Been there done that. If you are going to be at T Hill on Oct. 22 I will be there. NCRC is putting on a $99 race. Im # 39, hit me up and I will see what I can do.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

jatterbu Verified Driver

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe not the best video for instruction but this was taken at the beginning of 2009. It's on my old YouTube page which has a few other videos from NorCal on it as well. At least this shows you what gearing and relative brake markers we use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAVofaOm96Q

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
Im # 39, hit me and I will see what I can do.

There, fixed it for you Shop Teacher. [Smile]

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Gendreau:
I tried to follow a couple of guys in fast miatas with lots of decals, and seemed to lose most speed in turns 2, 9 and 14-15.

The answer was right in front of you: their decals made them faster. Everybody knows that! Get more! ;-)

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a big envelope of decals, that I will let you have semi-cheap. They are guaranteed to make you about .1 sec. faster per decal.
wheel

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no track-specific comments i can make...but i will say that for me at least, i got faster once i started racing. being in a pack of cars with some slightly faster allows you (me) to see where folks are better than you/i am, and if you record video, you can go back and see why. are they braking later (or earlier!)? are they just flat out using more of the track (turn-in, apex, trackout)? getting back to gas faster?

you can't get enough seat time, but make sure you have goals when you go out; work on a particular turn or two per event. any more, and imo, you get overwhelmed. data acq is a big help, but only if you are consistent already. if you have a passenger seat, find either a fast guy to ride shotgun or hire a coach. a number of national front runners offer coaching.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get off the brakes when uncomfortable and roll in

Get back to the throttle when uncomfortable and get hands straight asap

Think hands first and then feet for corrections

Be deliberate on turn in, should not need 10 course corrections down to apex

Think and really focus on slowing the car only enough to avoid the crash. FAR to many drivers are worried about throttle pick up points and not brake release points.

Drills:

4th - 5th Gear Only: 50 laps, roll the apexes getting a feel for how much the tires slow you down. Best drill for learning to use lateral skid with brakes and not over braking.

G load acclimation: Run the car with a high grip tire (new slicks well worth the cost for the gain), 50+ laps. This will teach your butt what the G feels like less the side wall movement and rolling the street tire does. When you swap back, work up to the same feel in the turns, you will see a near instant MPH gain at the apexes.

Lastly, go faster everywhere!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Rob Gendreau

Region: NorCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Gendreau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the tips. It's nice to be able to set some goals.

I'll try to get on the video. Watching some posted by others here helped, although most are racing and I could see that the line was often influenced by traffic, tactics and even the occasional kick in the rear [Wink]

I'll try to do some video of my own to review, and maybe post some here for the amusement of others and hopefully the edification of myself.

Rob

Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 11
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The two best ways to improve quickly are:
1. In car instruction, and
2. Lead/follow.

Both will cost a few extra bucks, but without this help I fear most drivers are on the track practicing their mistakes. Sure you might get a little better at your mistakes, but you'll never get fast.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: