Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » New to area - Where to store a race car?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New to area - Where to store a race car?
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi.

So I'm fairly new to the Bay Area. The wife and I are renting a townhouse in Mountain View. No room to keep a race car here.

Where do you guys store your race cars? Assuming you don't own acres of land and have 15 car garages. [Smile]

Thanks.

Alberto M Goncalves

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, do you guys ever hang out off season? Meet up for drinks or that sort of thing?

Paul Mitalas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Safety Second"

Car #: 61
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alberto,
I've heard of all kinds of solutions. Some folks rent out someones garage, others get together and rent some commercial space to store and work on their cars. Some use hangers. I keep mine in a trailer that I store in an RV parking lot. Welcome to the Bay Area.

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Mitalas:
I keep mine in a trailer that I store in an RV parking lot.

That's exactly how I started. I live in SF, and had no place for the car. So I bought an enclosed trailer which I kept at an RV lot. As the years progressed, I hooked up with friends and we rented a warehouse space.

Welcome!

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Alberto M Goncalves

Great ideas! Keep 'em coming.

Never thought of the RV lot. Are there any security issues with an enclosed trailer sitting in an RV lot for extended periods of time?

Funny enough, I don't think I've ever seen an RV lot. We didn't have those in NY. [Smile]

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ahh, the dilema.

I guess I am fortunate, I can just move a few miles east and be in rural area with some land and a heated out building for a garage. Those are my plans now. In addition to my Miata I also have some classic cars/trucks and desire to attain more.

There may be some decent storage places big enought to store and work on a car with electrical outlets. May have to hunt around though. Best of Luck!

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alberto - I stored a 40' gooseneck at a boat yard in Alameda for a couple of seasons. It was parked amongst a bunch of boats but also some RVs, open trailers and so forth. May find something like that in the south bay as well but generally speaking you're going to want to look for RV/trailer/boat storage. The more central the more it will be. Security varies; my lot was locked with 24hr access and everyone had a key so... not that secure. We didn't have any problems though. I know people who have had their trailers broken into at their homes, so no guarantee there either. Best thing is to have STP insurance.

You might also try Craigslist and solicit for a private residence who has room. I found someone offering space for a boat and it was like $50/month. Harder to find trailer-sized parking perhaps, but may be worth the effort.

Welcome to the area! Are you racing with us in a few months?

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got one in the garage, and one in the driveway. Oh, the open trailer is in the driveway too.

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alberto M Goncalves:
Also, do you guys ever hang out off season? Meet up for drinks or that sort of thing?

Depends who's buying. lol Yes we/I do. Welcome to the neighborhood. I store mine in Sonoma or San Rafael and live in the city. I have the same prob that Juan has..no parking in the city..fortunately I rent a hanger.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
Got one in the garage, and one in the driveway. Oh, the open trailer is in the driveway too.

An empty open trailer? There's the spot for Alberto's car! [Smile]

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Alberto M Goncalves

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:

An empty open trailer? There's the spot for Alberto's car! [Smile]

-Juan

I like your style [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Brian @ MSR:

Welcome to the area! Are you racing with us in a few months?

Thanks for the ideas.

I hope to join you guys with my own car late 2010 or so. The next 6 months is ridiculously busy with work and I still need to either finish building my car or buy a prep'ed SM. Still trying to decide but I'm rather attached to my old horse. I'll probably continue doing NASA days till I get licensed for them or do a school in the Fall of 2010 or Spring 2011.

I've been to the local tracks throughout 2009 to watch you guys and a friend that races ITE while doing 'research' on various cars and classes. I've been doing track days on/off for 20 years or so with a break to race karts. I'm overdue to race w-2-w in a 'full sized' car. [yep]

Thats the plan for now. We'll see what happens to that plan over time...

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a karting place by you if your interested.
http://www.gokartracer.com/index.php

I go to one in Fremont.
http://www.lemanskarting.com/
J~

Alberto M Goncalves

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Here's a karting place by you if your interested.
http://www.gokartracer.com/index.php

I go to one in Fremont.
http://www.lemanskarting.com/
J~

Thanks. My wife and I have been planning on going there.

Let me know next time you go.

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check Craigslist under office/commercial for your local area, it's amazing what you can find there.
As for storing enclosed trailers outside, less is more when it comes to stickers on the outside of your trailer. A bunch of racing stickers says "I might have cool stiff inside, break into me first."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: