Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » Want some track time?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Want some track time?
Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok so What If we could have a Miata day at T Hill. What venue would get you to come out and run with us.

1. All day track day.
2. Half day practice and a race at the end
3. Half day practice and an enduro at the end
4. Track day with racing tips from our faster SMT drivers
5. Any other suggestions

Some dates at T Hill are available for $3000 or less for the day. That would include the minimum things we would need for a safe track day. To have a race event would be slightly high due to insurance. I am not looking to make money here, the more drivers we get the cheaper it could be. If we did have a race we could take the extra funds if generated and have it as prize money for winners. Tell me what You think.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A full track day before the drivers school. No license required.

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Practice in the morning then a 4 hour enduro.

Tony Silva

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wish I would of thought of this.
+1 Tony Silva
How about run backward or clockwise for the enduro?
This is going to be on Monday or Friday?
J~

rookie530

Region: san francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rookie530     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i agree with sean full track day with no license. but a half practice with race would be ok id like to watch the race.

--------------------
will mccloskey

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

most day practice 25-30 min sprint

--or --

Practice and enduro...

Dan

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM's only, or would "other" race prepped Miata's be allowed?

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Full day, no license required:)

DionJ Verified Driver

Region: SF
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
SM's only, or would "other" race prepped Miata's be allowed?

Uh oh, is the V8 beast ready?

Shop Teacher

it would be our day we choose what cars or driver we want there.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you have any idea what date you are looking at?

Shop Teacher

Feb. 8th is a holiday and the 14th is a Sunday what do you think?

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

if we did this i would want drivers to pay up front. I dont want to be leaving the party with the ugly chick.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

DionJ Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DionJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My girlfriend tells me there is something special about Feb 14th, so I vote for the 8th.

Shop Teacher

Feb 23 is a Sat. but i think weekends cost more

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

23rd is tuesday

Shop Teacher

your right i looked up Jan. these are the dates in Feb 1 4 8 9 10 12 14 19 22 23

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

DionJ Verified Driver

Feb 23rd is too close to the first Infineon NASA race...

Hot Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
To have a race event would be slightly high due to insurance.

I'm all for keeping the cost low. Can we have a group of cars start when a green flag is waived and run for a long period of time without it being called a "race event"? [Big Grin]

Does the insurance kick in for non license drivers on the track or do they need instructors?

Track time in the morning with instruction before drivers school is great and could pull in more people. Maybe 2 run groups.
J~

Shop Teacher

it is being checked out but the cost of a race is $100 more for the insurance

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

If it is an open track day that doesn't require a license and it's on the 14th, I think I have 6 people who would be interested. These are mostly drivers who want extra practice before the drivers school, so they wouldn't be interested in a race. If you want to do a race, do it on the 8th so I can rent the 14th myself [Razz] [thumbsup]

Shop Teacher

maybe we could have two run groups one w/racing license and another w/o racing licenses. we could have the non's run before and after lunch and have a race with licenses at the end. so each group would have equal time.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

rookie530

Region: san francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rookie530     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

that sounds like a pretty good idea al

--------------------
will mccloskey

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We would be interested in the 14th. Also looking for track time before the school...no License. Rough idea on cost?

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

Paul Mitalas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Safety Second"

Car #: 61
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd come for a full track day on the 8th, or half practice/half race. Don't care what people drive. Unless we race, don't care if they don't have a race license, and as long as everyone is prepared for open passing.

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can only attend weekend dates, but I understand that those probably command a premium and are harder to come by. I would prefer an open track day without any racing.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best format for a test day is no run groups. Allows running long stints if you want to test fuel consumption or wear/tear. Also allows driving three laps at a time in between setup changes. So long as you keep everyone fendered, that's the ideal format.

Shop Teacher

ok i sent in a request for prices for the 8th and 14th. i will let you know what i get.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

soheil

Icon 1 posted  Profile for soheil     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

non license session would be sweet. Specially if we can get some pointers from the faster SM guys.
But 14th is bad since the GF would kill me. 8th is bad cause monday. doh :-(

Shop Teacher

this might help those with the 14th date see #4
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grow%2Bsome%2Bballs

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Hot Member

Amen.
Most schools have the 8th and 15th off for Pres. day.
I have only the 15th at work.
J~

Shop Teacher

they offered the 14th for 5500 with full services. Add 200 per car for 20 or more.

I am not at all interested in a $3000 day on a weekend we rented a weekday for 7000

If Al will take Monday Feb 8th and keep it under 10 cars, that would work for me. Same deal though, each car over 10 is another $200 each. Be advised at that the $3000 price all the services change. For example, no ambulance, only 3 flaggers (to cover the blind corners), no building, no PA, and the event will run under our “test and tune” insurance. If someone needs to get towed, a $375 fee will be added to the bill.
I have other interest in the dates we have been talking about so if this is going to happen we need to get it contracted with a deposit to secure the day.

What do you guys think?
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

they offered the 14th for 5500 with full services. Add 200 per car for 20 or more.

They are not at all interested in a $3000 day on a weekend we rented a weekday for 7000

If Al will take Monday Feb 8th and keep it under 10 cars, that would work for me. Same deal though, each car over 10 is another $200 each. Be advised at that the $3000 price all the services change. For example, no ambulance, only 3 flaggers (to cover the blind corners), no building, no PA, and the event will run under our “test and tune” insurance. If someone needs to get towed, a $375 fee will be added to the bill.
I have other interest in the dates we have been talking about so if this is going to happen we need to get it contracted with a deposit to secure the day.

What do you guys think?
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Not having a tow truck isn't a big deal. We have trucks that can bring people in.

Shop Teacher

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
Not having a tow truck isn't a big deal. We have trucks that can bring people in.

thats 120

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Hot Member

I was thinking under $200.
The only deal I see is Sunday for $5700 with everything, with 30+ cars for $190 or less.
I think this would require opening things up a bit, maybe not, will see. NASA, SCCA, street, any type car, license or not? Al will decide.

Talk is cheap but if everyone is in....
We have 13+ for track time no license. Maybe try to get the list of people enrolled in drivers school. Have instruction, maybe do practice starts at one point.

Then Al, Tony, Dean and Dion and all there friends and try to make them happy.

Understand there's 6 to 7 hrs of track time which I think is a ton for just one group. Everyone needs a break at some point and another group could go out.

3+hrs of track time would be 6, 30min. track sessions or some combo of that, 20, 25min.
3+hrs for the racers and figure out what they want.

But are we close to 30? [help]
We need to know who's in and what you want and if $190 or less is good. Maybe a $100 deposit and the rest when you get there. [twocents]

J~

[ 01-23-2010, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Johnny D ]

Shop Teacher

i took a look at the spread sheet and i would have to ask but i think we could shave 600-800 off of the 5500 no P.A get rid of the sign in guard, no indoor buildings. The deposit is 1500
Al

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Ray Meister Made Donation to Website

Car #: 38
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Meister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Isn't it $200 PER car over 20 cars?

What about the open test day on Friday 2/5? Since it's for street and race-prepped cars I'm thinking that we might all be able to run that day. While it wouldn't be Miatas only, I believe the price is $199. Oh, and AL, thanks for working on this.

Ray

Shop Teacher

5500 /20 is 275 a car. for every car we have over 20 is 200ea. So we would nee to give every one a break if we had more than 20 drivers

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

Here are our choices Feb 8th for 10 cars @ 300 per car
Feb 14th for 20 cars @ 275 per car.

Either date we will have a run group for non licensed drivers.
I need to know who is in and for what date. Pm me with your name & phone number.

The prices are at the max they would charge us. Most likely it wil be cheaper.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Anymore info Al? Is this going to happen on one of the days? Are there enough people to make it cheaper then 275? Do you have a general idea about the schedule?

Shop Teacher

275 was as low as they will let me go. I had 11 that wanted to hold the event on the 14th. With the added Art of racing event it gives us more track time in Feb. At this time i am going to let t hill know that we do NOT have enough drivers to make it happen. I will continue to look into getting us more time on the track in the future.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: