Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA San Francisco Region » Racing workshop Thunderhill Feb 26th

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing workshop Thunderhill Feb 26th
Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We did something like this last year for a small group of SM and E30 drivers, and it was a blast. This year the program is being expanded for more students and different car types. The program will also be tiered to accommodate drivers at different levels, and so it will also be a great preface to the SCCA Licensing School in March. Sign up now!

-Juan

The Art of Racing
Moving to the Front!

$249.00 - Per Driver
Friday Feb 26th
Gates open at 7:00 The Event will Start at 8:00

Register here:

http://www.thunderhill.com/RacersDay.pdf

Please complete both forms
fax to 530-934-7275

Questions contact Colleen at 530-934-5588 ext. 100 or colleen@thunderhill.com

This is a workshop created to help you become a more successful racer.

* Are you making the transition from HPDE to racing and need an introduction to race craft?
* Do you have racing experience and would like to gain additional competitive insight?
* Have you been running in the middle of the pack and are itching to move up?
* Would you like to hone your passing skills?
* Do you want to learn some of the Tricks of the Trade from veteran racers?

This day is designed for all RACERS, for those of you new to the sport as well as those who would like to polish up some of the fundamental skills of racing. There will be classroom instruction and discussions, tips and tricks of the trade, and on track exercises. Instruction will be provided by current and past Champions from both the SCCA and NASA including Darrell Anderson, Juan Pineda, David Ray, Dean Thomas, Mark Drennan and David Vodden, along with others and a few special guests and industry leaders in the sport of racing.

Bring your race prepared car (*) and a notebook. Come with an open mind and go home with a rock solid foundation to continually improve on your completive edge and earn a place on the podium.

Some of the Topics to be covered:

* Slowing down to Speed up
* Steering Clear of Rookie Pitfalls
* The Art of Passing
* Driving tight in traffic
* Tricks of the Trade
* On Track Exercises
* Personalized on track instruction

(*) A fully race prepared car is required. If the car does not currently have a logbook and annual, then it should be able to receive one upon inspection. This means a full racing cage, harnesses, racing seat, and extinguisher. HANS and full race wear is recommended. We will be driving in close proximity with other cars, and so need full race protection.

Space is limited to the first 60.
RSVP is required contact
Colleen at 530-934-5588 ext. 100 or colleen@thunderhill.com

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who are the coaches?

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Sean,

Some are listed in the announcement. We will be recruiting coaches to match the students that sign up. Last year with a much smaller group, we had Vodden, Donnie Edwards, Dave Macanany, Dean Thomas, Bruce Pendalton, and myself. It's not just talk: each coach drives their own car with three students in tow to show how it's done. It's a blast for the students and coaches alike.

-Juan

--------------------

Paul Mitalas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"Safety Second"

Car #: 61
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan,
Will you be personally teaching the advanced visor flipping technique?

Seriously, it seems no more expsensive than a regular DE. I'll likley go. The coaches you named all finished way ahead of me, so they're not going to make me slower!

Cheers, Paul

Veteran Member

Paul,

Visor flipping is taught only in the advanced class in the fall. [Smile]

It will be a blast. Lots to learn at all levels. As we did last year, we are planning to assign one coach to three students, so you will get a lot of individual attention to deal with your specific issues.

-Juan

--------------------

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Friday huh?

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

"Safety Second"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Paul Mitalas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan,
I prefer to think of myself as having "boundless opportunity for improvement" rather than having "specific issues". Besides, does the fact I'm terrified of kittens really affect my driving? And are you guys even qualified to address that? I mean, I've never seen YOU hold a cat.

Cheers, Paul

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you need more instructors?

--------------------

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
Friday huh?

AL was getting a group together on Sunday the 14th, but things didn't work out.
Any chance of moving this to the 14th to make things a little more convenient?
J~

Dave Bingle

Car #: 19
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Bingle   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did this last year, it was a blast and the instruction was great. Schedule permitting I will do it again this year.

--------------------
Dave Bingle, SCCA SFR SSM #19 (last year #22)

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Dr. Dan said !I'ld love to help out. Travis is doing the scca licence school this year. I'm pushing him to attend this great event so he is better prepared for the march school.
Bruce Pendleton #20

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Isn't there a Trackmasters-Racing event this same day?

Veteran Member

quote:
you need more instructors?

Ah, the good doctor showing them how it's done. Nice! Send me a PM or Email. You too Bruce.

-Juan

--------------------

I still have skilz.

--------------------

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I still have skilz.

That's mAd sKiLZ

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you think the SFR afford to have more Dr Dans on the track?

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rumor has it that you will NOT be using the whole track. I would like to attend but would like to use the whole track in the advance group.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Al,

as far as I know there is also a trackmasters day on the 26th... might want to call Dave and ask if there is any room.

Shop Teacher

Sean I put on the Art of Racing last year. I would like to attend this year also. I looked at the T hill calender and I dont see Track Masters on the 26th. I have never ran with them due to the price. Im a poor.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Sean, I don't know what you're talking about with a conflict on Feb 26th. The Thunderhill schedule shows The Art of Racing, not anyone else, using the track that day.

Al, We are using the whole track, and including the skid pad too this year!

-Juan

--------------------

Shop Teacher

thanks Juan

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm not sure Juan. I thought the same thing as you do... but two friends have said they have paid for a track day on the 26th.. *shrugs*. I don't know what the deal is.

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
Do you think the SFR afford to have more Dr Dans on the track?

There is only one o sophmore. Please to show respect, otherwise you maybe be released from your gravitational boundaries whilst driving next to me.

--------------------

Retired Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
Sean, I don't know what you're talking about with a conflict on Feb 26th. The Thunderhill schedule shows The Art of Racing, not anyone else, using the track that day.

Al, We are using the whole track, and including the skid pad too this year!

-Juan

Interesting...it's on TMR's event payment page...

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/html/new_payments.html

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Veteran Member

Sean, You trouble maker! [Smile] Nice catch. Thunderhill itself is running the event (I'm working on the curriculum and agenda,) so I expect their schedule would be authoritative. I'm checking with them to see why the discrepancy. Will post what I find out. Thanks for pointing it out.

-Juan

--------------------

Retired Racer

If you look at the TMR main page, they don't list the event. TMR sent an early schedule with 2/26 on the schedule.

My guess is that the event was canceled but the payment page was not updated so Sean's friends signed up...should be interesting...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

Veteran Member

I just checked with Eric Diamond. Trackmasters cancelled their reservation for the 26th. It appears that they forgot to take that date off their registration page. Seems prime for a sitcom: newbie Lucy shows up for her first track day and ends up on track with a bunch of race cars.

--------------------

Veteran Member

I wonder how much money they have received for the 26th... I know of two for sure.

Veteran Member

Seems there was a misprint of the FAX number on the original application form. So if you FAX'ed your application in, check with Colleen to make sure she received it.

Get the updated registration form that has the corrected FAX number:

http://www.thunderhill.com/The_Art_Of_Passing_Registration_Final.pdf

Note this link has been updated too, and the one at the beginning of this thread is nolonger valid.

Thanks!
-Juan

--------------------

Veteran Member

Hey Juan,

Are Driver school participants welcome? Or are licenses required?

Veteran Member

Sean,

Licenses are not required. This school would be a good complement to the SCCA Licensing School in March, and students registered for that school are welcome. I went through a similar program by Driving Concepts before my SCCA school and I got a lot more out of the SCCA school than I would have otherwise.

The minimum requirements for students to attend our school are: a) they have good DE experience and b) experience with DE level non-point-by passing, as all the sessions will be open passing. We will teach competitive passing, and passing under braking, but the students have to be good with open passing during the exercises to allow traffic to sort out. Students should know the line.

The student cars must also be race prepared with cages, harness, and racing seats. If they don't have a logbook and annual, then they should be able to pass an annual upon inspection.

We will have separate advanced and beginner run groups. The advanced group will be more like the mid pack racers that want to move up to the top half of the field.

-Juan

--------------------

Veteran Member

Hey Racers,

If you are considering in attending, please send in your application forms as soon as possible. The sooner we know you will be attending, the better we will be able to match you with your coach. This will be a chance to get some very individual coaching from a very experienced group of racers including: David Vodden, Dan Mairani, Darrell Anderson, David Ray, Mark Drennan, Mike Cesario, Bill Haener, Bruce Pendleton, Dan Gehringer, Dean Thomas, Laura Thomas, and Juan Pineda.

Ask here, or PM me if you have any questions. Hope to see you there!

-Juan

--------------------

Retired Racer

"Bill Haener"??? Isn't there an age limit for this event??? [Smile]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

Shop Teacher

Looks like rain?

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Juan ,Dean and everyone who put this together .I had a great day- even with the rain- and learned as I instructed. I sure wish Travis was there. It would have been super helpfull for the upcoming drivers school.I'll be there for the next one!!
Bruce

"Safety Second"

I thought the instruction was excellent. Very brave of the coaches to risk their vehicles participating in tight exercises in the rain. Special thanks to David Vodden, who was my coach. Juan was great at keeping us on time, and Dean managed to teach me something new. Something I no longer thought I was capable of.

Thanks again. Paul

Veteran Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for coming out and participating! Dean and I had a blast putting it on, with a very knowledgeable and skilled coaching staff, and fun group of students at all different levels. Dean's lectures were captivating, and had students and coaches alike thinking and participating in the discussion. On track, it looked like everyone made great progress and had a ball playing together. It was fun just watching from the tower! The rain turned out a blessing in disguise to teach car control and perseverance. And just as everyone had enough of it, the skies cleared for a practice sprint in the last session.

Tell your buddies about it! We hope to put on another one soon.

-Juan

--------------------

Tony Silva Verified Driver
"The Tiger"

Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tony Silva     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a blast!! It was a privilege to help out with this great class. Great stuff from Dean and the track sessions in the rain were golden!!

--------------------
Tony Silva
Atlanta Motorsports Group
http://www.atlantamotorsportsgroup.com/
Atlantamotorgroup@me.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: