Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » FAQ - How much does it cost to build a Spec Miata?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: FAQ - How much does it cost to build a Spec Miata?
Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, guys fill er up! Only the best text will be used.

don wiseman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: Rocky Mountain
Car #: 81
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for don wiseman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I started with an existing SSB car with a racing seat, stock steering wheel, Autopower cage and stock exhaust with a straight pipe replacing the muffler. Standard stuff. Parts and labor to gut interior, install spec suspension, replace catalytic converter with straight pipe, removable steering wheel, master cut-off switch, stainless steel brake lines, initial alignment and setup and a few new graphics were approximately $2500. The work was done by RCP Motorsports in Memphis. Twelve TSW wheels are another $1200. Toyo's are $130 each delivered, mounting and balancing extra. If you're starting with a street car, you'll need all that plus cage ($500-$1500), fire bottle or system ($50 up),seat ($150 up) and chin spoiler. Hawk blue brake pads from Mazda run about $125 for four corners. 1.6 cars also need LSD from Mazda. Your mileage will definitely vary! If I've left anything out, it's little, like a hook to hang your helmet from the roll cage so it won't roll around on the floor, or ballast, if you need any.

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave wrote:

I think everybody will have different answers....

For us the costs were (or have been budgeted at)

$8500 for the entire project with us doing 99.9% of the work. If you have someone else build it for you you'll have to figure in labor.

$3300 for 90 Miata 150k miles w/hardtop
$1188 for suspension kit
$770 for the limited slip (including setup)
$300 for brake lines and pads
$150 for RB intake
$150 for new clutch
$600 for wheels
$600 for tires
$650 for cage
$200 for seat
$250 for misc safety items (belts, extinguisher, net)
$80 for a new battery
$400-$500 in misc items

Spare tranny from junkyard is $150-$350
engines $450-$750 used, $1500 new engine
spare wheels $35-$350ea depending on weapon of choice

-dave

Henry Payne Verified Driver

Region: CCR & SCR
Car #: SM 2 & 93, FP 4
Year : 1990 & 1992 & 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Henry Payne     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very slimilar experience to Karl's. My first SM ran just under $9,000 in parts - no adjustment made for donated labor.

This includes:
- two donor 1.6 cars, one for drivetrain, and the other for a straight frame
- MC suspension
- all new bushings
- new front and rear wheel bearings
- rebuilt calipers and new rotors, Hawk Black pads
- 2 sets of Kosei 15x7 ($109 each)
- one set of stock 14's
- three sets of tires (14" & 15" Kuhmo, 15" Toyo)
- welded in Hard Dog Cage
- MC exhaust
- MC lsd
- Kirkey Intermediate Seat
- G Force cam lock belts and net
- spare viscous lsd, 5 speed and a 155,000 motor that made an enduro without puking!
- Jackson Racing Kevlar clutch & pressure plate assembly
- $800 for hardtop
- Quick Release hub for steering wheel
- $80 to repair stock radiator

HP
SEDiv SM93

[This message has been edited by Henry Payne (edited 05-15-2001).]

Ed Davis Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ed Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since I just finished the car and totaled up the "Damage"….UG!!, I figure I'll share. This was not a budget build in fact there wasn't a budget. I did everything I wanted and felt I needed to do and I am an admitted excessive compulsive person. Many items are certainly a matter of taste and personal choice but obviously one must be comfortable in the car and I just can't drive a car with any questions in my mind. This car is as good as my skills could make it. I might have missed some stuff in the total but some days UPS and FED -X made two drops a day. The "Brown Santa Claus", as my wife calls him, accused me of building the car 50 bucks at a time. You know it's bad when Brian and Tim know the sound of your voice and your Comp number by heart. Among others, the following people helped me a great deal and I appreciate their patience as I know I'm a major PIA sometimes.
Jim Thill, Jim Daniels and his crew at RCP, David Delgenio, Tim at MC, Karl Zimmerman, Wayne Henry, Henry Payne, Shawn Dewey, Bret DePedro, and last but not least, my darling bride and mother of my children, Jackie, who hates racing and race tracks. After 20 years of this, she still tells me that she loves me and I hope she doesn't change her mind.

Spec Miata Build Costs

1990 1600cc Rules
Base Car, with new calipers, master cylinder, radiator, and a cracked exhaust valve $2500.00
Hard Top $780.00
Hardtop hold down plates $45.00
Basic DOM Cage $670.00
Cage tubing $3.00 / ft. 1.5x.095 DOM $72.00
Cage work $600.00
Suspension Kit $1,066.00
Simpson 5pt. Harness $95.00
Hawk HB-148F Fronts Blue $87.00
Hawk HB-157R Rear Black $69.00
Autopower Net Kit $35.00
RB Cone K&N intake $155.00
S. S. Brake Lines $145.00
Kirkey Seat $185.00
Kirkey Cage Padding $42.00
Spec Exhaust $175.00
Fire System (Safecraft) $265.00
Kill Switch $30.00
Custom Window Net $45.00
Momo Wheel Adapter $48.00
Momo Wheel $180.00
$7,289.00

Extra Trimmings
"R" Chin Spoiler $130.00
Shift Knob t $22.00
Autometer Shift light $85.00
Autometer Water temp $40.00
Autometer Oil temp $40.00
Magnecor Ign. Wires $70.00
Max-5 Grille Screen $30.00
Speed Bleeders $30.00
Mirror $65.00
LSD Kit $500.00
Lexan vent windows 50 ea. $100.00
ACT clutch disc $65.00
$1,177.00

Wheels and tires
TSW Wheels (Rains) $350.00
Kosei K1 wheels $938.00
Toyo tires 12 $1548.00
Used Kumho tires $100.00
$2,936.00

Stock Parts
Front rotors $130.00
Rear rotors $100.00
Bushing Kit $250.00
Water pump $125.00
Timing belt $28.00
Head Gasket $30.00
Fuel filter $22.00
NGK Plugs, BKR6E-11 $8.00
Water hoses $50.00
Mazda Oil Filters $9.00
Shift Fork boot $12.00
Belly Pan $35.00
Non-AC Duct and Plugs $30.00
Stub Axle seals $40.00
Shift Boot inner $19.00
Shift Boot outer $19.00
Exhaust Valve $20.00
Rear axles and knuckle assemblys $220.00
Valve springs, clips, retainers $50.00
Tie rod and ball joints $125.00
Fuel fill pipe $43.00
Clutch PP and bearing $90.00
Stub axles $100.00
Front hubs $186.00
$1,741.00
Spares
Front hubs, extra $186.00
Hawk HB-148F Fronts Blue $87.00
$273.00
Items I already had but used
2 way radio setup, Car and spotter $1500.00
Hood Pins $15.00
Hot-Lap System $300.00
$1,815.00

Outside Work $756.00
Misc. materials $400.00

Total $16,387.00

--------------------
Ed Davis
Blackwater Motorsports

p1ccoloz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for p1ccoloz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

where'd you guys get your hardtops?

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi guys, [Smile]

Here's my total Spec Miata build costs:

Roll cage $1,300.00
Window net $32.05
Sparco seat and bracket $402.43
Seat hardware $11.66
Steering wheel & quick release $383.00
Safety harnesses and eyebolts $231.85
Roof brackets $100.00
Fire extinguisher $0.00
Master cutoff switch $59.96
Hood pins $25.98
Fuel sample port $27.70
Transponder $269.00
Dampers, springs and sta-bars $1,222.54
Braided steel brake lines $139.95
Racing brake pads (Hawk Blues) $178.00
Wheels ($129 x 6) Kosei $811.68
Tires ($155 - $15) x 6 $840.00
Adjustable sta-bar links $116.18
Front "M" spoiler $69.86
Exhaust system $205.85
2" Toe hooks and decals $40.90
New rubber shifter boot $36.65
New suspension cam bolts $56.73
Vinyl letters and numbers $66.91
Helmet hook $15.99
Roll bar padding $14.97
Front and rear discs $179.75
Blueprinted front hubs and $534.00
wheelspacers
Manual steering rack $311.13

Parts only $7,373.59
Car plus parts $10,773.59

Note that I offset these costs by selling my previous race car (1984 VW GTI ITB) and selling anything that I could from the Miata on ebay.
So I ended up spending $5337 on parts in converting my $3400 (est) street car miata into a Spec Miata.

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hardtops can be found on eBay, this site, Miata.net, direct from Mazda ($$$), Moss Motors, and if you are extremly lucky junkyards.

Greg Amy Verified Driver

Region: New England
Car #: 3
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Amy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Right at $10,500 for a '94 with all maintenance and repairs (inc new calipers, t-belt and h2o pump), *no* wheels and tires, but the absolute best cage and prep I could buy (have built for me). - GA

http://www.kakashiracing.com/sm.html

--------------------
http://www.kakashiracing.com
2006 ITA ARRC Champions!
2006 ITA NARRC Champions
2006 ITA NERRC Champions

p1ccoloz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for p1ccoloz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

is there a classifieds? maybe im just blind. =)

Andrew C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andrew C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Top left of this page is the link, or you can use this...

http://www.specmiata.com/Classifieds/

--------------------
Andrew Coe
WDCR SSM #46
www.rpperformanceracing.com
2009 SSM Rules - CLICK HERE

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The "cost" really depends on how much you enjoy the build process.

I, for one, love the idea of building my own race car. But my practical side sees that I simply don't have the time to get it done that quickly and once I got licensed I wanted to race - like NOW!

So I bought a car. Didn't get the steal of the century, but I don't think I overpaid too much either.

$15k got me an early 1990 1.6 that had raced ITA (welded cage, AFFF fire system, QR wheel, transponder, fuel test port, bolted hard top, cutoff switch, hood pins, etc.) In addition to all my must-haves, the price included a switch from ITA back to SM (new crate motor, new suspension, new set of KZ-M's with Toyos, etc.)

A month after cutting the deal, I had the car on the track. Not the route for everyone, but if you really look at how much you can spend piecemeal, it can be a compelling strategy.

Steve

Lucky Kid Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: #96 Blue/Yellow
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lucky Kid   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Im at about $7200, with a school, 1 event, a tow vehical and all safty equiptment...this is w/o the cost of the car

Roy

--------------------
www.beatracing.com
Used Miata Parts

Bernard Bernard has just turned 60 Verified Driver
Really Tall Member

Region: CSCC
Car #: 57
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bernard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lucky Kid:

You are a funny kid. We now kwow the cost of your car without knowing the cost of your car, so we don't really know the cost of your car as we are also unable to subtract the cost of your car, school, event, safety equipment, and especially tow vehicle.
You're in college, right? Is that a class project for psychology?

That said, let's assume you got a donor with hardtop for free, bought used safety equipment of eBay, spend about $600 on school and 1st event, saved an old pickup from the junkyard, you are still riding very low in the cost department. I'm sure many newbies would love to see your spreadsheat . . .

--------------------
Bernard
World's Tallest Ex SM Pilot

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lucky Kid   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
Lucky Kid:

You are a funny kid. We now kwow the cost of your car without knowing the cost of your car, so we don't really know the cost of your car as we are also unable to subtract the cost of your car, school, event, safety equipment, and especially tow vehicle.
You're in college, right? Is that a class project for psychology?

That said, let's assume you got a donor with hardtop for free, bought used safety equipment of eBay, spend about $600 on school and 1st event, saved an old pickup from the junkyard, you are still riding very low in the cost department. I'm sure many newbies would love to see your spreadsheat . . .

see the website. I have two breakdowns there...if I just post it that wont do the site anygood...

Roy

--------------------
www.beatracing.com
Used Miata Parts

Justin Hall Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: sfr
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Hall   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
Lucky Kid:

We now kwow the cost of your car without knowing the cost of your car, so we don't really know the cost of your car as we are also unable to subtract the cost of your car,

car probably wasnt a huge portion of the total cost bernard, photo from beat website:

-

I think it looks better now after yellow and blue paint job [Smile] .

--------------------
Justin Hall

My father paid $8,000 for it in 1999 when it looked like this
 -
, I got it in 02 with a $5000 value(he offered 5G's or the car for helping sell my grandfathers house and taking care of him for the summer(long story)), Insurance and judgment payouts on the car total about $10,000,

[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/305000-305999/305867_1_full.jpg[IMG] one deer, one brake in, 5 rearendings, 1 hit...that car had been through hell and back...you can pick up alot better doners for $2000, our STS2 car we paid $1200 for and it had an extra torsen which we sold for $600 plus a VLSD...just tack on $2000 for the car and $500 extra for the cage and theres your number...

Roy

--------------------
www.beatracing.com
Used Miata Parts

Mike McCarthy Verified Driver

Region: sf
Car #: 40
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike McCarthy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty funny pic. It does illustrate what I love about this class. A "kid" can come up with a relitively free car, boot strap the components while having fun and acclimating himself to a racing club and progress into solo, regional, national, and even pro with the same car and rule set. A true feeder system.
Back on topic, it takes ten thousand dollars to get a car on track with a logbook.

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah Mike, that's about the average. You can do it for less if you do ALL the work yourself, get a GREAT deal on a donor, and aren't too worried about having all of the bling.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Justin Hall Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: sfr
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Hall   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TimBuck:
Yeah Mike, that's about the average. You can do it for less if you do ALL the work yourself, get a GREAT deal on a donor, and aren't too worried about having all of the bling.

I think all of the bling is described as "bling bling". Some bling is simply "bling".

--------------------
Justin Hall

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Below is the copy of the text from my website. This should give you a starting point. Don't forget to add the price of a donor car and any BLING you may want.

Remove interior, air conditioning, power steering, cruise control, airbag, carpet and insulation, miscellaneous trim and components, etc. as allowed by rules.

Install Advanced Autosports 6 point roll cage. Including 2 NASCAR style door bars on drivers side, 2 door bars on passenger side, and knee bar in dash area. Cage is constructed of 1.625 x 0.095 D.O.M. steel tubing.

Install Spec Miata suspension kit consisting of Bilstein shocks, Eibach coil-over springs and sway bars. Install new OEM legal suspension bushings and adjustable sway bar end links. Sandblast and paint all removed suspension components. Repack front wheel bearings. Convert power steering to manual. Scale and align car to customers specs.

SCCA required safety items: Ultrasheild SM seat sized to driver, driver restraint system, roll bar padding, fire bottle and window net.
Removable steering wheel with aluminum wheel.

Rebuild or replace 4 brake calipers, 4 rotors, install Hawk Blue or PFC #97 racing brake pads. Install braided stainless steel brake hoses and flush brake fluid
Replace engine tune-up parts, adjust timing, install Advanced Autosports air filter assembly (1.6 liter cars) or low restriction air filter (1.8 liter cars). Install 2.25 mandrel bent open exhaust.

Replace all coolant hoses. Change all fluids and filters using Redline synthetic lubricants.
Install SCCA mandated fuel sample test port.
Install hood pins, remote trunk release, and the hard top brackets.

That's $7500 folks + tires and wheels

I freely tell everyone that if you have basic mechanical skills and lots of time you can build a SM in your garage. Let's assume you can't weld or scale and allign the car, you pay to get that done correctly. After buying the parts you will save about $1500.00 You will spend about 300 hours building the car, or about $5 an hour for your work. Add flowers and dinner for the wife after you spend every waking hour in the garage. You have to ask, is it worth it?

If you enjoy the building process as much as the driving, by all means go for it. If you want to build it with your kid for fun, DEFINATELY do it. If you think you are going to save big bucks by doing it yourself, think again. Any of us (prep shops)can build a car from scratch in a month, I doubt if you can. How fast do you want to be on the track?

You can build a lesser car (bolt in cage, dicount tire allignment, no suspension bushings, etc) for less money. But for comparison purposes you need 2 apples.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Johnny Yanez Verified Driver

Region: calclub
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny Yanez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

cost of spec miata >> ? i just won one on e bay for $8000.00,, needs up dating with a few things but its an 1800 and clean.
In my vast experience of buyin and selling race cars ,, i have found that at times its cheaper to buy some one elses race car,, that is set up and turn key..

Bernard Bernard has just turned 60 Verified Driver
Really Tall Member

Region: CSCC
Car #: 57
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bernard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Johnny . . . don't you have your '99 SM on the hoist, waiting to be completed? And the FP Miata, also waiting for attention? Why would you now use the money to buy another one instead of finishing what you've got, ASAP?

--------------------
Bernard
World's Tallest Ex SM Pilot

Johnny Yanez Verified Driver

Region: calclub
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny Yanez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hahahahahahaha Bernard, just dont ask lol, i need to keep busy, alert, things on my mind, and im very impulsieve, a creature of habit,, and at my age, you can not take it with you, so I enjoy what ever strikes my fancy at that moment, weather it be women or cars lol,,,,,,,,,

Kevin Morrison Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: CFR
Car #: 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kevin Morrison   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just finished the build-out of my second car. Including the car, I've got $12,000 in it, but that is with a local shop sponsoring me and donating most of the labor on the engine rebuild. I still paid for parts and did 90% of the other labor myself. If I had it to do again, I'd just buy a finshed car or pay someone like davew the $7500, plus a new crate motor.

Kevin

--------------------
Flaming Blue Weasel Motorsports
Florida Synthetics Racing #89
www.floridasynthetics.com
Tampa, Florida

Necio

Region: 19
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Necio     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently purchased a 97 miata hoping to enter organized enthusiast racing. This talk about spending thousands of dollars to prepare the car for racing will make my wife blow a gasget. She considers mortgage payment important for some reason [Wink]

Rony

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get used to it -- gaskets do blow sometimes. [Big Grin]

As somebody here has on his signature, "You can live in your car, but you can't race your house." I had to wait a long time (measured in decades) before I could afford both. Even then, it's only SM that makes it look feasible.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Truer words have never been spoken:

"Racing isn't expensive. Winning is expensive."

-Kyle

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Minardi and Jordan disprove that. That is to say, even losing is expensive. [Wink]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I miss Ed BTW.......

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone care to comment on the cost of building a competitive regional car versus a competitive national car? "Competitive" = top-10 (assuming the driver has the skills to finish decently). Obviously car prep and setup between races is paramount.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We just built a rockstar of a car, tub up build, PERFECT everything. New everything. Pro Motor. No data or video at that price.

Build cost WITHOUT labor near 25k.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We're still racing for $4 trophies, right?

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
We're still racing for $4 trophies, right?

Trophies in my region cost more like $13.00

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, well that's different. [Big Grin]

MegaModerator

Hypothetically:

Donor (a good one) $3000
Hard Top $800
Cage $2400
Seat $800
Seat Mount $150
Nets (both sides) $200
Fire System $500
Rebuilt trans $650
Engine $4000
Clutch $400
Radiator $300
Brakes $350
Hoses and Lines $350
Steering Wheel $250
Quick Release $150
Seat Belts $400
Mirror $60
Suspension Kit - $1450
Kill Switch $40
Wheels and Tires $1200 (one set)
Surface flywheel $50
Fluids $100
Graphics - $200

So that is $17,500 and I am sure it is only a partial list and does not include any labor.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blast from the past... I built my first car for $8,500 in late 2002. Ran it without LSD and stock exhaust for the first several races. That car was totalled (again) last year, and it was retired to the Chumpcar ranks. If I would have built it all at once I'm sure it would have cost $20k (with data). I don't replace bushings, as I prefer intent legal old hard bushings to tech shed legal hard ones [Smile] No need to replace Control arms unless there's a reason. I probably should have bought new brake prop valve by now but haven't. I use used trannys as they last as long as rebuilt trannys and cost less. If I did everything new with painted tub, I'm sure the cost would be over $25k.

-b

PS, New car was just the cost of the tub ($1k amazing bad economy deal) and cage ($2,500) new seat 'cuz i got fat ($700), and paint(?). Everything else came off the old car, but it is (or will be by March) one of the best built SMs in the country.

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: