Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Drive to track? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Drive to track?
Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's true, Sean, but I'll tell you that in six years there's only been one time that the car didn't make it home under its own power. Maybe I'm driving fast enough. [Wink]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If by "driving fast enough" you mean qualifying high enough so that you don't get caught in mid-pack carnage, I notice the same thing. I think I was definitely more worried at the start of something going terribly wrong when I was qualifying towards the back compared to now.

I have had my fair share of wrecks as well, and the car would have been able to get me home every time. I just don't want to have to deal with having to work on the car after a long, tiring race weekend in two run groups. Also, my family and friends tag along to all my races so it's nice to have a big, cushy vehicle. It works for us. However, I understand that many people have different needs. I would consider driving my SM to the track if I were going to be by myself and doing practice laps at a non-competitive event, though. These cars are very reliable.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Yépez:
If by "driving fast enough" you mean qualifying high enough so that you don't get caught in mid-pack carnage, I notice the same thing. I think I was definitely more worried at the start of something going terribly wrong when I was qualifying towards the back compared to now.

Sean, I am thinking the opposite at Laguna, if you are further up front you are more at risk. The major incident in May was at the front. I had time to slow and avoid that one. I think us in the middle are a bit less aggressive on the starts. I remember a big mess in T1 at Thill last year that one was at the front also. Being on the pole is the safest place 6th thru 20th seem to be most at risk.

Dennis

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NV Racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Yépez:

Sean, I am thinking the opposite at Laguna, if you are further up front you are more at risk. ... Being on the pole is the safest place 6th thru 20th seem to be most at risk.

Dennis

But, but, I started 5th at Laguna! [Razz]

I know what you mean, though. I agree that people starting in 40th or so were mainly unaffected by the huge wreck in May. I started 8th and Tommy's car spun right in front of me, taking me out of the race. If I had been just one or two spots closer to the front, I wouldn't have been caught in the mess.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Adam Kelleher Verified Driver
I wanna go fast!

Region: Houston
Car #: 83
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Kelleher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just out of curiosity, do you guys who drive to the track drive down down the freeway with numbers on your car or do you have magnetic numbers that go on at the track?

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everything on.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

naparsei Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for naparsei     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've done it both ways. There is a reason the trailer guys are relaxed, sitting on chairs either in the trailer or the EZ-Up, having a cup of coffee, while the guys that drove are changing tires, swearing, and sweating.

Safer? Yes, I would say trailering is a lot safer. You've got a lot of rig, but packing your SM tight with the stuff you need (3 tires in the passenger seat?) and then getting smacked by an SUV means there's a lot of stuff that's going to go bad, quickly. Hitting your bare head on the cage isn't trivial either...

vanarkel - if you had the $165K to spend, what would you do?

Veteran Member

Most of the locals will tell you that I'm the most relaxed driver in the paddock. [Wink]

The trailer guys bring more "stuff", so they tend to do more. I only change tires when the weather changes, and since I can't bring much setup gear, I don't do much setup.

I admit I haven't done it both ways, but most trailer drivers will tell you that the most dangerous part of a race weekend for them is hauling the trailer, not racing. And I don't know anybody who packs tires in the car -- that's an autocross thing. Instead we haul a tiny trailer behind the race car. It's a little extra work after the race, but not horrible.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also drive to the track, dragging a tire trailer behind my steed. It works just fine, but I won't say I haven't been seriously considering getting a tow vehicle/rig. Here's the balance, to me:

Pro towing the car:

--If something goes wrong at the track, easier to get home if you're not dependent on the race car to get you home. This is, IMO, a big deal, although our local racers are so nice that I'm not real worried about being left to fend for myself with a broken car.

--Much more comfortable drive to and from the track. Driving a race car, pulling a trailer, for several hundred miles is not fun.

--Instant storage of everything, both at the track and at home.

--More comfortable at the track, especially with an enclosed trailer when it rains.

Pro driving the car to the track:

--So much easier to drive a car, towing a little trailer, than to drive a truck, towing a multi-thousand pound trailer.

--So much less expensive to do it this way; I could get towed back from Spokane a lot of times, and still be way ahead, financially.

--No issues with how to store a large trailer, and I don't have to own a truck.

As I say, there actually are a lot of advantages to both ways.

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yall who drive you rcars to the track and tow the tires. What knid of trailer hitch do you use and do you take it off when you get to the track? When I was doing auto%$(* there were a few people who did this but left the hitch on.

Have a great day,
Jared

Veteran Member

I take the hitch off. It bolts to the frame with 4 bolts, and I use 2 of them to mount the tow eye once the hitch is removed. It takes a few minutes, and doesn't require lifting the car. Lighter guys could potentially leave the hitch in place, though I don't think I've actually seen it done.

My hitch is commonly available, made by Da'Lan.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In my ITB days I used to run against a Volvo that had a monster hitch on the back. He eventually had to remove it to run since the mounting tubes were found to be full of lead. It seems he never towed anything with it, it was illegal ballast.
wheelmnan

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also use a Da'Lan hitch. Sometimes, I leave it on--didn't need to take it off to be at minimum weight before (laziness left over from autocross, where I never take my hitch off), but I'll probably take it off now.

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
In my ITB days I used to run against a Volvo that had a monster hitch on the back. He eventually had to remove it to run since the mounting tubes were found to be full of lead. It seems he never towed anything with it, it was illegal ballast.
wheelmnan

It's probably illegal ballast even without the lead, and even if you towed a trailer with it. But it would be another weenie protest, unlikely to happen anywhere but the Runoffs.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I started with the Uhaul trailer (no clearance problems), then got into a dispute with Uhaul over an extra day's rental, and ended up getting frustrated enough with them to just buy an open trailer. It cost some bucks, but there were absolutely no used ones that I could find at the time.

Started parking it at storage (cheapest in SoCal is $100/month) so I could have, then realized I could back it into my 2-car garage with the car on it--with about 4 inches to spare in the front (and 4 inches above my tire rack). Luckily I have a big garage, so I have plenty of space for my daily driver. It's a little inconvenient when we work on it on the weekends because we have to pull the trailer out, take the car off, park the trailer, and do the reverse at the end of the day. But the inconvenience of an extra 30 mins work isn't worth $100/month.

FYI--Penske does have trailers, but they're only rented to people in conjunction with renting their trucks.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: