Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » SCCA Superschool - post mortem

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SCCA Superschool - post mortem
John Parenteau Verified Driver

Region: CalClub
Car #: 45
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Parenteau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought it might be helpful to give newbies like me a run down on what to expect in going to superschool. Certainly this would have been a good FAQ for me before I did it!

First, it's important to leave enough time to get all your paperwork in. I only allowed a total of about a month from SCCA membership until school, so it was a bit of a mad rush. Ultimately, everybody at SCCA was great and I got my Novice Permit before school, but JUST before school. So get your applications in early, and get that physical!

Second, make sure you have a reliable car, and if you own it, bring some spare gear. Luckily I brought a spec miata, which is well represented at the track. On the first morning, just prior to the first session, I discovered my radiator had a crack from freezing the night before. With the support of all the instructors and a couple other Spec Miata owners, I found another radiator and changed it in 30 minutes. I was allowed to make up that first session later and all was good. Also, at the end of the day, I ran one of my tires down to the cord due to a bad camber setting. Luckily another driver loaned me a tire so I could finish. Without this help I would not have graduated.

Third, BRING HELP! I can honestly say that when they say "you will have no time to work on your car", they aren't kidding! I didn't even have time to gas. Remember, you'll be driving a total of 6 HOURS of track time, which is a ton of time, and things like tire pressures, fuel, fluids, etc must be checked. You won't be able to do it.

Fourth, be open to learning, not only from the instructors but also from your fellow students. Remember, it's a school not a race, so even you seasoned pros from HPDE days or solo have a lot to learn about traffic, using your mirrors, passing techniques and the like. I've been racing for years and still learned a lot in this class.

Fifth, make friends. These ARE the people you will be racing around so it's a good thing to chat people up, be friendly and personable. Racing is about community as much as anything (I would not have fixed my radiator or gotten a spare tire if I had not made friends), so this is the place to start.

Sixth, and finally, this is a tough weekend. Lots of driving and long sessions. Drink water, eat foot and be ready.

It's a blast as well!

Hope this helps the next groups going through school.

John

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks, I leave this Thursday for my school. I am so excited!

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats!

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to lift the hood all weekend when I did my double school a couple years ago. It was 30 degrees on day one. I always run antifreeze in my cooling system until mid-April just to be safe.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope my car last... haha

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

can you do these schools even if you already have your comp license? i did the skip barber and i'd like to do this too. there's always room to learn more

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They always give preference to rookies trying to get their licenses, but if they have room, and enough instructors, they will be glad to have licensed drivers enter.

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Sixth, and finally, this is a tough weekend. Lots of driving and long sessions. Drink water, eat foot and be ready.

It's a blast as well!

Hope this helps the next groups going through school.

John[/QB]

eating foot? , how ya push on da gas?

lol

good write, I too was lucky to have a few friends there for me last year, it was needed!

Races, I can do by myself now, but wow. not a school

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Parenteau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry, eating FOOD!

Have a great time and just be prepared to be tired!

John

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks John, good info. I have school this weekend as well. Like Sean, I also hope my car "survives" and I don't have any major issues...
Looking forward to it!
-Ryan

(doing a "No Rain" dance)

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

Sacslider
Uber time waster

Region: SFRegion
Car #: #27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sacslider   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weather looks good so far. But bring rains if you can find/beg/borrow/steal them.

Other little things:

Run more gas than you need and add some anytime you can. Running out would be look down upon by the stewarts.

If you do not have time to check preasures do it at before and after the first session of the day. Latter in the day they will be a little high but in the ball park.

Watch the flag stations!!!! They will throw random flags at you to make sure you understand what they mean and respond appropriately.

Put rain-x on your windshield. Even if you don't think it will rain.

Get some sleep! No partying with all of your new SM friends all night (half the night is ok).

Goal #1 finish school with car in same condition as you started. They do not give flags out for winning licensing school. (don't laugh, several cars have been heavily damaged in years past)

Side note: Sean and Ryan- Start your tire presures at 34psi in all tires except the left front which will be 35. It will be cold so this is a little higher than you would set them if it was july.

Good Luck and have fun!

--------------------
Craig Evans
#27 Spec Miata
San Francisco Region
Life, Liberty, and pursuit of another checkered flag.
SpecMiataSuperstore.com

Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice Craig, I will post up how the school turns out.

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Even if it doesn't rain, be sure you keep it on the track. With the heavy rain we've had you don't want to get into that mud...high probability of a roll over if you go in sideways and even if going in straight you can get stuck in it and at the very least that nuclear mud is nearly impossible to remove.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

A few other tips:

-Check your lug nuts after every run, or at least a few times a day

-If the car becomes loose in the afternoon, try letting a pound of air out in the rears. This really worked for me.

-Rotate your tires front to back after the first day. I ran one tire down to the cord because I didn't do this, and nearly missed the final sessions.

-Watch your mirrors! There are a lot of cars out there that just flat out have more horsepower than you. Don't try and out race them. This is a school, not a race, and the stewards look better on you if you obey the passing flag, look in your mirrors and give point bys when appropriate.

-As Craig said, watch the flags and listen carefully to know what to do. We had a red flag thrown in one of our sessions and I was about six inches from the bumper of another SM. The driver in front didn't look in his mirrors and I had to go off track to avoid hitting him. Red means stop, but carefully, not immediately!

-Also, something else that caught people out: A full course black flag means come into the hot pits, not the paddock. Several drivers got yelled at for not paying attention!

-And most importantly, make friends with the other SM runners! If something happens to your car they might be able to bail you out!

John

Veteran Member

Yeah Kim, the rain has been crazy I bet it's like a mud bath off track at Thunderhill.

John, I will check my lugs every once in awhile during the day, and rotate the tires front to back after each day of driving. Thanks for the info on the full course black, I wasn't really sure myself what I was suppose to do, stay in pits or go to paddock, now I know.

Jeff Lyon Verified Driver
Still on Probation!

Region: NorCal/SFR
Car #: 17/19
Year : 92/89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Lyon   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean, I will be there if you need help. I have a blue and white RV and a 24' grey stacker trailer. My dad is driving my red and black #39 SM in the school, I am just there to offer support to him and another friend of mine that is going through the school in his SM. If nothing else stop by and say HI.

--------------------
Jeff
NorCal/SFR
OneStopRaceShop

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Congrats!

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to lift the hood all weekend when I did my double school a couple years ago. It was 30 degrees on day one. I always run antifreeze in my cooling system until mid-April just to be safe.

Rich:
Ditto on the antifreese. I'll put in the water wetter in late April.
Rick
P.S I remember running my double school race (St Louis)at 28 degrees with flurries blowing across the track in a gusting cross wind! Of course I also walked up hill to school - both ways.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll post here since this seems to be a thread geared towards newbies.

So an SCCA Novice License can be obtained by attending a "double" school instead of 2 separate events? I'm in the process of building a car, and would like to obtain a Novice License next spring if possible. I'm in the Boston area, so am hoping there is a school early in the year at either Lime Rock or NHIS. Thanks for any info.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy, a double school is the same as 2 singles... just instead of having to show up on different weekends you have 4 days of school but each are separate. Complete both and you'll be able to play at regionals.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Lance. I was told that in order to keep my license active I need to attend 2 races next year. So I'm going to wait until 2009 to try to get my license since I don't have plans to race in 08.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep, you do... until you race if you can find the time volunteer. You'll learn a lot and go into your driver schools better prepared.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I second Lance's comment. I drive and work when I can and when I can't drive, I often work. Almost all the drivers I know who work say they learn a lot by doing it. Those who don't say they learn anything... well... you know what kind of folks they are [Smile]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Jacob Groves Verified Driver

Region: NASA Southwest
Car #: 77
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jacob Groves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What was the cost of the double school?

--------------------
"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons!"

SamC Verified Driver

Region: Lone Star
Car #: 23
SMIM: -
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamC   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the Southwest region it was $600, and it was last weekend.

I had a blast, almost finished off a set of tires, and finished off my old front brake pads. Worth every penny, just wish the track was more technical. But i guess it helps the instructors keep an eye on us.
~sam

--------------------
"If women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
~Red Green

Bill Pruitt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
You know you miss him...

Region: WMR
Car #: 18
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Pruitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep in mind that SCCA has a provision to waive the second school. I sat the pole for my first school and asked my instructor to help me make my case for a waiver. SOM Bob Burns recognized uncompromising talent, my plea worked, and I raced in the Regional the following day. Of course I crashed in the race due to the antics of a green miata-whore co-owned by 5 communists who's names shall not be mentioned, so there is a downside.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: