Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » How tall?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: How tall?
Jeremy Lucas

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Lucas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got a friend who is 6'5", 205lbs, 34" waist, with a 36" inseam.

Any chance of him making a SM fit?
Anybody of similar dimensions that can send me pictures of what they had to do to fit?

Thanks.

--------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited.com

Matt Johnson Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 73
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am pretty much the same measurements as your friend. The trick is buy an aluminum seat, mount it directly to the floor (lean back as needed) and build the cage around the space that is left over.

I have pictures, pm me with your email.

(edit) the ironic thing is I just noticed that after hitting the "post" button the screen says "sit tight" how approperiate...

--------------------
Matt Johnson
1990 SM #73 - yet another red miata.

Jeremy Lucas

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Lucas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PM sent.

Thanks!

--------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited.com

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You tall guys have it rough.

Being 5'7" is where it's AT.
You fit into ANY sportscar, and you're right at breast level of supermodel types. Plus, the air isn't all thin down here either. [Wink]

--------------------
Brian

nohairracing Verified Driver

Region: neohio
Car #: #50
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nohairracing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Amen Brother! 5'6" on a tall day!
Howard

--------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At 6'3"/34" inseam I can get away with an FIA seat on the floor and no seat padding ... but I agree with Johnson, if I was any taller-torso'd I would *need* an aluminum seat .

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bbenthin:

You fit into ANY sportscar, and you're right at breast level of supermodel types. Plus, the air isn't all thin down here either. [Wink]

Yeah, it only takes this much of US to equal that much of THEM!
Concentrated, like orange juice [yep]

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bbenthin:

The air may be good now, but wait until us tall guys start flatulating - much more air flow up here :-)

--------------------
Matt Johnson

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hell, Sidewalk Johnson is below that level already. When he farts ants die! But on the other hand he can fit in any car made. [rolling on floor laughin]

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Johnson:
I am pretty much the same measurements as your friend. The trick is buy an aluminum seat, mount it directly to the floor (lean back as needed) and build the cage around the space that is left over.

Does leaning your seat back adversely affect your driving position? Is it comfortable? Also, how much clearance do you have between the top of your helmet and the cage?

I'm looking into getting an SM and being 6'4 this is a big issue for me before I dive in. Thanks for the help!!!

--------------------
ethan

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'2" tall, and it's tight. I bought a car from a guy who's 6'1", so I was confident that it would work for me. I adjusted the seat--aluminum seat bolted directly to the floor--a bit, and raised the cage so that I would have a couple of inches above my helmet, but there's no room to move the seat farther back, I think, and no way to get more head room. I don't know it it would work if I were three inches taller.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like the ooch, I am 6'3"+ and can drive an FIA with no padding. I have an aluminum seat in my car.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

quote:
Originally posted by ethan666:
quote:

Does leaning your seat back adversely affect your driving position? Is it comfortable? Also, how much clearance do you have between the top of your helmet and the cage?

I'm looking into getting an SM and being 6'4 this is a big issue for me before I dive in. Thanks for the help!!!

I am not sure that I really leaned mine back a lot, just enough to make it comfortable... I did extend the steering wheel back about 3 inches to make the driving position more comfortable for me though.

Clearance: the clearance issues I had to deal with were more the lateral clearance between the mid/top of the left side of my helmet and the bar above the driver's side door. My solution was to build a halo style cage (I could get it tucked into the roof and A-pillars better than other designs). As it sits now, I have a bit over an inch between my helmet and the FIA padding on the cage, and probably 2-2.5 inches between helmet and roof.

Again, this is with an aluminum seat with minimal padding on the seat pan. I did make a 2 part urithane seat insert for my lower back - amazing how much more comfortable that is...

--------------------
Matt Johnson

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

6'4" 180 lbs and no problem fitting in a Sparco Pro2000 seat.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

naparsei Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for naparsei     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ethan666:
quote:

I'm 6'4"; if you over 6' you are used to a compromised seating position in most cars anyway. This is no different. It's more of "laid back" posture vs. the up and down posture usually preferred. But you get used to it.

ethan666
noob

Region: SoCal
Car #: 42
Icon 7 posted  Profile for ethan666   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys, i did finally purchase my SM and we were able to install the seat so that i fit!

Aluminum seat bolted to the floor, leaned back a bit, added a steering wheel spacer to bring the wheel closer to me. I think I may even have an inch to spare.

[thumbsup]

ethan

--------------------
ethan

Dave Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: DC Region
Car #: #0 SSM #0 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'5 and 205 (plus 60lbs). I fit with a Kirkey Drag seat minimal padding. The trick is to have the seat in the car on the floor THEN build the cage or at least the main hoop. If you don't get the hoop back as far as you can the seat has to be more upright and then your head gets too close to the roof. My 2nd car had that problem and I had to "massage" the floorpan.

--------------------
Dave Morris

Randy Cox

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Cox     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So what you guys are saying is a guy 6'2" and 290lbs should stear clear as it sounds snug for a lot of you. That sucks as i was starting to really take a good look at SM as the class i wanted to get into for racing.
Randy

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

as has been stated. Seat mounted to the floor.

6'4, 280#, 38 waist, 34 inseam, 2XL shirt....no problems with a Butler seat.

Sitting/driving the car is not the problem. If the cage is not done correctly for a big guy he might not get over the top Nascar bar on driver's side. MiataCage has accomodated this issue with their new design for big guys

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

somebody has a cage kit that the main hoop lands on the rear shelf to allow you to mount the seat all the way back

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Back-n-Black:
So what you guys are saying is a guy 6'2" and 290lbs should stear clear as it sounds snug for a lot of you. That sucks as i was starting to really take a good look at SM as the class i wanted to get into for racing.
Randy

No - you will be fine - I was 6'1" and 280 when I built my new car. Use a Kirky Seat - bolt it to the floor and have a good cage welded in and you will be fine.

If you're close or can ship the car I recommend that you have Drago do it - the cages he's done for big guys are great - I had mine done by another guy but he copied Jim's design.

MZ

Randy Cox

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Cox     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet that is good news. I still want to go to Skippy's MX5 3 day class before i take the plung and buy into Sm racing but after watching some of the vid's on this site........ i know i will love it. Little under powered, but that takes skill to go fast. Nice.

PsychoRallye Verified Driver
Member, Odd Duck Racing

Region: NYR
Car #: 7, 17
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PsychoRallye   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unless you really need seat time (i.e. track newbie = under 40 HPDE days or very few races) I would recommend against the Skip 3 day school in the MX5. After discussing with the instructors, they say the following on the MX5:
1. They cover up a lot of the student's mistakes because it's a forgiving chassis
2. The formula cars are much harder to drive, and will make you a better driver overall.

I agree with both, having driven both.
If you go skip, do the Formula. Then get your SM, and you'll get used to it in 3-4 events I'd bet. I'm on 3 races in my SM now (first time driving a miata EVER was in Qual for the first race, literally) and I still placed 38/44. I improved my lap times by 10% within 3 races and it's only going to get better. The Miata's not hard to drive, it's just seat time. Be a better driver first with the formula cars, then move to the Miata... but that's my opinion, and I'm no Miata expert..

Good luck.

PS - I'm 6'4" 215lb and I have a kirkey, laid back a bit and I'm good. All my length is in my legs, and with a slightly smaller than stock steering wheel, and 2" of spacers, I fit GREAT. The only thing I need now is a gas pedal spacer since I can't blip enough because my foot is too big (size 13).

--------------------
J Curry
Member Odd Duck Racing Team
(Mills, Gregg, Curry)
Car #7/17/71 depending upon event

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
somebody has a cage kit that the main hoop lands on the rear shelf to allow you to mount the seat all the way back

My cage is set up this way. Its an older SM as I had the cage done before there were so many options. I went with Kirk Racing and had it shipped. I just welded it in and have added extras over the years. I have an FIA seat, but I want to be lower so I'm looking at doing something different in how I mount my next seat.

db

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think if you're setup to go into SM, take the plunge, spend the $3k or whatever instead on track days and a coach (SM driver that will coach you on setup and driving)....maybe rent a car or what the heck, just buy it...if you don't like it you can sell it and you're probably out less than the
$3k you would spend at Skippy.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm a big fan of the three day formula school at skip, and I'd say the main adjustment I had when I went into my SM was with the braking, and the weight of the car.

6'2", 170 lbs, got into my miata with no problem. Kirkey bolted right to the floor, had no problems with the old school hard dog cage. I did put in steering wheel spacers.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: