Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » constant alternator failure

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: constant alternator failure
Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my recent alternator failures. I've had three alternators fail this year. The first, was the original, so I assumed it was worn out and I replaced it with one from AutoZone, which was close to the track. Two races later that one failed. I took it back and they gladly replaced it. I then took the new alt. to my local alt. shop and had them completely go through it. They replaced the bearings but said everything else looked good. This past weekend at the end of the day, the car barely started as I went to load it. What happens is, I'll start the car, and it idles fine with 14+ volts to the battery, then the idle shifts/changes and then the voltage changes to 12. I've checked all the connections, grounds etc. I did a search, but didn't really see anyone with the same symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eric

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check the main switch.

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could also have a bad battery. Batteries are really six separate cells in series, rather than a single unit. Often a single cell fails -- your change of 2 volts could be the clue.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, each time the alterntor failed, I had it bench tested and it was bad. After I replaced the alternator each time, the battery recharged and the car ran fine. Could a bad cell in the battery somehow have some effect on the alternator???

--------------------

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You wouldn't think so. [scratchchin]

I know I fought this battle with two bad batteries, and finally had to buy a brand-new one to fix it. It would work fine one session, and then not start for the next -- or the reverse. I never did look at the alternator, though.

Three bad alternators in succession seems like enough to make you think about what's common -- which is obviously not the alternator.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check your kill switch and wiring... don't use it to kill the car while running unless at your annual tech or emergency

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

I just swapped batteries from my '97. The car starts, 14 volts to the battery and at the alternator. I let it idle for about 5 minutes, then it changes to 12 volts at the battery and alternator. Does switching the kill switch effect the alternator? I don't use it. The last time I switched it was during the last alternator failure. Everything appears to be in order.

--------------------

Bypassed the kill switch, same thing, 12 volts. If the alternator is not charging, no sense in trouble-shooting. The problem is, I replace the alternator each time and the issue goes away. I can't get it to drop to 12 volts with a new alternator. I guess I'll go eat a big plate of turkey and think about it.

--------------------

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rev to 4k rpm and see if the voltage goes up.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Antonio, voltage stays at 12

--------------------

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Richter:
Antonio, voltage stays at 12

That ain't right. I think you're blowing voltage regulators because of an intermittent open circuit somewhere (even if the intermittent open circuit is the battery itself or kill switch).

1. Test that battery ... hook up a light to it and shake it a little.

2. Run a dedicated ground strap to the alternator body.

3. Jumper around the big terminals of the kill switch with some fat battery cable.

Depending on your kill switch wiring, #2 may effectively accomplish #3.

Alternators don't like to see open circuits. In a perfect world we would all be running 3-circuit kill switches that dissipate the alternator output through a resistor to ground when we "kill".

'99+ car, by any chance? [scratchchin]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like you are blowing diodes, probably from and intermittent open circuit in your kill switch wiring.

I always preach to replace these switches regularly (2-3 years) since they do not last forever and can be a major PITA.

So today I go out into the trailer to see how cold the car is and if I should think about putting in anti-freeze. The dash on my car won't light up, the whole car is dead. I wiggle the kill switch, and magically it all works if I hold it just right. Time to put in the new switch I bought last Winter....

I'd bet your switch is bad and its killing your alternators.

Greg

The manual says that you should not have more than 20ma of current with everything shut off. I tested this and have 3.5ma. Doesn't seem like I have any shorts, at least with things off. I'll pull the alternator, have it rebuilt, replace my kill switch and hope for the best.

--------------------

Veteran Member

If the problem is inside the alternator at all, I'd go with Greg's idea about the diodes. High RPM with no battery connected puts too high a reverse voltage on them. It doesn't sound like your installation should be doing that, but after all, by definition you've rewired the car. Check your work again, as if somebody else did it.

BTW, one open cell in the battery is all it takes.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Short circuits are *probably* not your problem, open circuits or too much resistance in the paths to/through the battery *probably* are. A short in the charging circuit tends to be apparent in the form of the car falling on its face as the ECU starves for +12, lights dimming, melted insulation, bad smells, hissing batteries, smoke, etc. [Embarrassed]

I still think you should run a dedicated ground to the alternator ... takes less time and effort than hoping for the best and being wrong. [Smile]

The only failed kill switch I saw taken apart, the issue was dirty contacts. Switches need to wipe their own contacts clean. When the car is off and the alternator is at no risk, cycle the kill switch several times so it can wipe itself clean. This could be your high resistance /intermittent open circuit right there.

P.S. JB, would you agree the diodes can break down in the forward direction too? ... spikes of 100V?/200V?/More? when the battery load isn't there (whether by design of the kill switch install or an unintended high resistance/open).

[ 11-23-2007, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: sharkjumper ]

--------------------

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i suggest ordering an alternator from Mazda, i have tried the auto zone and pep boys alternators, all of which give problems.

Veteran Member

Mr. Jumper, once you get voltage in the forward direction, you get current flow, and the diode clamps to a more-or-less fixed voltage across it. If too much current flows, the diode can overheat and fail, but the failure mode is different from reverse voltage.

In short (pardon the pun), if the output is shorted the forward diodes are at risk; if the output is open, the reverse diodes are at risk.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christiinan:
i suggest ordering an alternator from Mazda, i have tried the auto zone and pep boys alternators, all of which give problems.

Same with starters, they are cheap chinese rebuilds.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Boemler:
Mr. Jumper, once you get voltage in the forward direction, you get current flow, and the diode clamps to a more-or-less fixed voltage across it. If too much current flows, the diode can overheat and fail, but the failure mode is different from reverse voltage.

In short (pardon the pun), if the output is shorted the forward diodes are at risk; if the output is open, the reverse diodes are at risk.

jim

10-4, I get that part ... the forward diodes are at risk under short due to over-current... but the diodes have a voltage limit in the forward direction too ... and when the alternator is spinning and we instantly take the battery load away, there is a voltage spike through the diodes in the forward direction, is there not? (Unless they have some other over-voltage protection built in ahead of that?).

In any case, I think we agreed years ago that having the alternator loaded by the battery at all times was the way to go.

--------------------

Should I leave the dedicated ground permentely? Should I run it back to the battery or on the frame somewhere? The kill switch I have I ordered from Advanced Autosports and is wired per their instructions. See Antonio's post from 4-27-07. The problem I still have is, once I put the new alternaor in, everything is fine untill it stops charging the battery, voltage drops below 12 and the ECU shuts the car off. I'm getting a different alternator,new kill switch and runing a seperate ground and I just put in a new battery.

--------------------

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How quickly does the V drop below 12 when running on battery alone??

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Thread Killer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you put in all that new stuff, your at 99% on fixing it for sure.

To be a little more thorough, check all the connections in the switch install and factory ground straps for tightness. There is a ground at the battery (depending on switch install), the rear of the PPF, and on the driver's side of the head.

Greg

Kent, that I can't be too sure of, not having a voltage guage, which I'm also putting in. If I'm driving the car, It depends on how much I'm using the brakes, wipers etc. I've never tested it while idleing.

--------------------

Greg, I would much rather find the reason or the problem that is causing the failures, than just replacing everything but, I can't seem to on this one. [banghead] I did put the old battery in my '97, so if the alternator goes out in that car I'll know it was the battery. Eric

--------------------

Thread Killer

Barring an infinite budget of time and patience, it is often the case that you fix the symptom without knowing the exact cause.

Greg

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Eric, do you have a voltmeter?

I would try to figure out the problem before putting in another alternator.

Check resistance from the alternator ground (my shop manual shows two ground connections, one for the regulator, one for the field) to the car's body. It should be very low.

Regarding a kill switch, some don't wipe, so they are throwaways. I had a plastic key switch that lasted one year. Don't use that kind.

Mark, as far as diode ratings, in forward mode, they are rated for current, not voltage, but I think JB and I are just being picky...too much voltage = too much current.

--------------------

Antonio, what manual are you using? Do they give an actual number of resistance.

--------------------

99 all the way!

Measure it and post what it says, we're looking for something obvious. The manual doesn't show a resistance spec for the ground, I would expect to see less than 1 ohm. Jiggle the harness/wires while you do this (battery disconnected).

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: