Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » limited slip and year to start with

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: limited slip and year to start with
Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hey guys, Mom finally gave my father and I the okay to build an sm/track car. So like the sensible people my father and I are, we chose the miata. We were wondering what year we should try to start with because from what i understand they have different LSD's or none at all. any info is appreciated. thanks!

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats and big hugs to mom.

Honestly, I think the costs will end up being about the same. A later car (94+ may come with a Torsen), but the additional cost will be equal to an early car plus the cost of a Mazdacomp clutch diff. If you have the money, get a 99, or maybe a 94.

I expect the most common advice you'll get is buy the straightest Miata you can find and start building. If it has a VSLD, you can start learning on it, but you'll eventually want a Torsen or a clutch LSD. If it has a Torsen, that's a bonus, but you'll only find those on later, more costly cars.

Whatever else you do, join Mazda Motorsports. Nobody, I mean NOBODY, is more useful and important to motorsports enthusiasts than Mazda. They are the best.

Autocross the car if you don't start racing immediately. If only to keep your Mazda Motorsports membership up.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Scottie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

got ya, so to get this straight. the 90-93 is vlsd, and 94 on is torsen? btw, last name is carter as well

--------------------

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Scottie,

Unfortunately, no. The standard diff is open. Limited, whether it's VLSD or Torsen, was an option in all years.

Here is a good resource:
http://www.miata.net/faq/miatachanges.html

In the later years of the NA Miata (1.8L), the LSD came with the popular equipment packages, so if it has power windows, etc, it probably has the Torsen.

The absolute best way to know is to call Mazda Motorsports and have them check the VIN against the records. They are amazingly fantastically helpful.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 89-93 can have the 99+ torsen swaped into them. Read, read, and reread the rulls so that you know them. This can help you in your decision.

Have a great day,
Jared

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is the torsen from a 5-speed 99+. You can't use a 6-speed torsen. It has the wrong gear ratio. You need the 4.3. If you have the 4.3 gears from a 99+ oppen diff you can install them on any torsen. You will have to do a complete swap which includes the drive shaft, both axel shafts (half shafts), 94+ diff housing as well as the pumpkin. You will have to have the diff installed properly in the pumpkin.

Have a great day,
Jared

Scottie

thanks, i have done some reading up on swapping the diff. thanks alot guys! im just glad to finally be starting on this stuff

--------------------

If you are only woried about the lsd It may be harder to find "the right car". You can always swap out the oppen diff. with a lsd. on the 94-05 all you need is a torsen with the right gear ratio. They can be found fairly easily. I found two in one salvage yard. One of each ratio. So they are out there.

Have a great day,
Jared

Scottie

alrighty i got ya. thanks!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: