Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » OEM Hard Top vs Snug Top Identification - the definitive thread

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: OEM Hard Top vs Snug Top Identification - the definitive thread
Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On a recent hunt for an OEM hard top I spent some time searching and came up with the following things to look for.
I though it'd be nice to have a tidy thread containing everything someone needs to make sure their getting a proper hard top for their SM.

Please feel free to add any additional tips you have. [thumbsup]

quote:
It's tough from the outside, but a look inside reveals that the Snugtops use a different stamped steel latch assembly instead of the Mazda cast pieces. Also they use a glued in liner instead of the stamped one(I think it's metal)that Mazda uses. All other aftermarket ones I'm familiar with use a different back window that is obvious.
quote:
Look for the soft-top hold-down brackets on either side in back -- they're where the soft top latches would be when it's folded down and hold the folded soft top in place. The SnugTop doesn't have them.
quote:
Hardtop and Snug tops (aftermarket) are the most common. The best tell tale (not a guaruntee) is if you see a one inch tab at the top center of the back glass where the weatherstrip meets it is a OEM top. If the weather strip comes together at the bottom center with no tab it is most likley a Snug Top.
quote:
The easiest way to identify the Snug Top is by its latches. The factory top has latches that appear identical to those on the folding soft top. The Snug Top has latches that look more like those on a surplus ammo can. They are rectangular in shape and are made of stamped sheet metal. The factory latches are cast and oval in shape.

--------------------
Brian

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good info!

One point though, what and how the shop manual describes the OEM top is the reference. Like many parts, when vague it becomes hard to tech. If it "looks" OEM is the only thing tech can do right now.

Maybe the replacement new top we can get today, less hardware, needs to be weighed and that weight made the spec? Easier for tech to check, might help lower cost for the racers if a substitute top, like other parts, can be used. Obviously needs to not be a performance advantage.

Plenty 30 pound tops out there. Split outer skins, remove metal weaved frame and lighten the material, fiberglass the two halves back together, paint, -15 to 20 pounds well above CG. Tech legal, not spirit or intent legal.

The parity fight need not only look at HP and weight but how both are obtained compared to what can be inspected.

[twocents]

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have some buddies with an autoclave and CF experience here in Austin...for that matter, Brad Sawyer, if you're reading...get started on a mold for a CF top if they allow non-OEM tops.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Garza:
I have some buddies with an autoclave and CF experience here in Austin...for that matter, Brad Sawyer, if you're reading...get started on a mold for a CF top if they allow non-OEM tops.

There is already a guy in Maryland making CF tops. I have only seen pictures but they are for sale on eBay sometimes. Good price.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is CF top hanging in my garage. The good ole days (of Motorola Cup racing).

The GT3 Miata with the rotary can run it. But, they use an even lighter version than we "used" in MC.

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw the CF thing on ebay, but it doesn't look like an OEM HT.

I have seen some CF hoods that weigh more than the stock hood (and cost a lot more too). Kids...

--------------------

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check this one out. No affiliation, but it looks OEM to me without glass

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-Miata-90...tem?hash=item280206228328

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

99 all the way!

Very nice. I wonder how much it weighs.

--------------------

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So what has to be done to clarify or fix the rule to allow aftermarket tops? It certainly would make life easier.

--------------------
Brian

MegaModerator

quote:

I sent them a message tonight asking that same question.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by bbenthin:
So what has to be done to clarify or fix the rule to allow aftermarket tops? It certainly would make life easier.

Weigh a bunch of OEM hardtops, get data on the average weight, then set that as the minimum weight.

I weighed an OEM '99 top this morning (with headliner, defrost, stock latches and everything) and it came in at 46.6 lbs. The Snugtop I have with one of my other street Miatas weighed in at 49.4 lbs.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Chris T Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Instigator

Region: WDCR
Car #: 44 SM& 44 SSM
Year : '96 & '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris T     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
quote:

I sent them a message tonight asking that same question.
I emailed them about 4 months ago asking them how much it weighed and they could not tell me. I suggested to them that they would probably sell a lot more if they weighed it and advertised that weight. Poor Marketing.

--------------------
Chris Tamburo
'96 SM #44
'90 SSM #44
Check it out http://www.meatheadracing.com
SM,SSM cars for sale,rent,rent-to-own

MegaModerator

They emailed me back. 25lbs as it sits. Anyone know what the glass weighs?

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Derek Luney Verified Driver

Region: NCR
Car #: 40
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Derek Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Weigh a bunch of OEM hardtops, get data on the average weight, then set that as the minimum weight.
Pat,

Assuming a normal distribution of weight, are you advocating making 50% of factory hard tops illegal?

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I'd guess it's 10-15 lbs.

A side window weighs 6.

-Kyle

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Derek Luney:
]Pat,

Assuming a normal distribution of weight, are you advocating making 50% of factory hard tops illegal?

Nope, just yours. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Derek Luney Verified Driver

Region: NCR
Car #: 40
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Derek Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just like all the kids in Lake Wobegone and everything else in my car, except the size of my restrictor plate (46.4mm), I'm sure the weight of my hardtop is "above average". [Wink]

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Disque:
quote:

I'd guess it's 10-15 lbs.

A side window weighs 6.

-Kyle

the rear glass weighs over 20 pounds. our old F prod ran with the top and a lexan window. saved about 18 pounds!

i have one of these CF tops on a street car of mine. it's a fiberglass top with a single sheet of cf over it. complete with glass all the seals and factory latches, it weighs more than an OEM top.

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: