Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » New to SM, Where to begin?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New to SM, Where to begin?
moboost4u

Icon 1 posted  Profile for moboost4u     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, hope this is posted in the right spot but here it goes.

Im really getting hooked on sm racing and want to get into it. I have a lower budet compared to what I see some of you guys spending as I am a full time student, but after doing some research, I do have enough funding to get a starter car and make it out to a few races a year.

I am not a member of SCCA or NASA yet, but I have taken part in a few independent DE's in the last few years in my STi, and do know the fundamentals of getting around a road course.

So my question is where do I start?

My plan is to buy or build my sm and enter in as many hpde's as I can in the next half year and then maybe look into some NASA or SCCA events by mid summer next year.

Will that give me enough time to get a respective licence for those associations and will I be ready to compete by then?

Please feel free to chime in if my intentions are vauge and need further description.

Thanks guys

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Again, use the search function here, but I'll try to give you the SCCA side. Go to SCCA.com, and use the find your region feature. There will be a list of folks in your region who will help. Each Division will set next year's schedule, which will include the drivers' schools you will need to get a license. It, generally, takes two drivers' schools to get your novice license. Then you can race in any regional event in the country. The schedules will be out late this year, or early next. Join SCCA in your home region, and then go to some races as a worker, to get the lay of the land, and to talk to the racers. They will be very glad to have you as a worker and the drivers will be very glad to talk to you about their cars and let you look at how they are prepared. The Runoffs (Oct 6-13) marks the end the season for the national drivers, but many regions will have regional races after that. Try to find one close to you, and go.

Some regions, like mine in Kansas City, have Mentor programs. Your mentor will be available to answer your specific questions about what you need to do to go racing. Everything is spelled out in the GCR, which you can get from your region, or from SCCA.
wheel

moboost4u

Icon 1 posted  Profile for moboost4u     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the response...

I will register with the SCCA asap.

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wheel provided great advice. As you will find, using the search function, I think the overwhelming consensus for the budget minded would be to buy a race ready car, rather than build. This coming from someone who did not. [banghead] [Big Grin] Good luck!

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: