Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » SCCA Licence School Questions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SCCA Licence School Questions
moboost4u

Icon 1 posted  Profile for moboost4u     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, I have used the search for this one but I just would love for some questions to clarified and filled in for me if you dont mind.

So I just bought a race ready spec miata and now my next step is to get my regional licence.

I am reading everywhere you need your own car but also that instructors ride with you. I have seen that many peole use their SM's for the school so how will that work?

How much does a school generally cost? I ask this because all the schools I have found always include the car and cost close to $3000.

What are the pros/cons to a double school?

Do I need full fire suit/gloves/shoes ect?

I see that SCCA now accepts NASA licenses but does it work the other way around yet?

Any recommendations as to which is the best school in the NE or GLD regions based on cost and quality.

Thanks again

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay..lots of questions here. First, if you attend either a NASA or SCCA school, you'll need a car (no passenger seat required) that has a current log book from that sanction. Second, you'll need the FIA approved suit, helmet, gloves, nomex socks and shoes ...and (for NASA) a HANS.

Typically a two day SCCA school will cost about $400 and will normally include entry for a regular Regional race on day two. NASA schools are one day and like SCCA run about $400 including entry to the race on day two.

Welcome to the least sane fraternity you'll ever join.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You should start by going to SCCA.com Click on - Club Racing - and download the GCR.

Read everything up to the cars section then read the SM section.

Most of your questions will probably be answered - for your safety gear I recommend visiting Saferacer.com they give SM guys a 10% discount (code sm0125XRP) good sale going on right now on suits as well.

When you go to the school you should consider having a crew person to take care of the car - you wont have much time to do the things that will be to be done and go to class.

Good luck,

MZ

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just signed up for the SCCA Wash DC drivers school. It is at Summit Point and costs $450.

As far as NASA goes, I plan to do HDPE's. There is an HDPE next week at Summit Point; it's full for beginners. There's another one in November.

I don't know of any SCCA double schools in the NE, but I think I remember seeing one in FL. The advantage is that you get all of your driving requirements done in a single shot. I will be going to Spring School to get mine finished up.

Cheers

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

moboost4u

Icon 1 posted  Profile for moboost4u     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks a lot guys

So I assume that $400 you are talking about over 2 days is only a single School right? And I need to take two of those?

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think it depends on the amount of track time and your performance, abilities, etc. There is a school next weekend @ Watkins Glen. Come join the fun.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

moboost4u

Ugh I would love to, but I have no suit and im not even an actual scca member yet.

Looks like my fun starts next year [Frown]

moboost4u

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Second, you'll need the FIA approved suit, helmet, gloves, nomex socks and shoes

I thought you could have an SFI 3.2a/1 or higher suit too?

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll need to get a medical as well. It's not a big deal but will add time to your prep schedule for the first school.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Start by joining the SCCA. In the envelope with stickers and membership card you get a license that says CREW on it and a handy flyer with all the steps you need for your racing license. Some of those details are important like your physical has to be within 90 days of applying for your license.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

what I always wondered is what do you do for the passenger seat? as someone above sad you dont have to have one, but I assume there is an instructor with you for at least some of the process to make sure you are doing everything correctly

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let me jump in here as well. I am also looking for SCCA school over the winter/spring. Regarding SCCA membership, does ones' membership run for the calendar year or for a 12mo period regardless of when joining. I want to join asap, but not now if membership up December 31st.

Also, I have bought the drivers suit (SFI 3.2A/5). Is there a required rating on shoes. I have a pair of piloti's, but more of a driving style shoe versus a race shoe...wide foot is the problem.

Would really like to buy the GCR's, as it is a huge document to read online...also, how is a log book obtained? At my age, time is of the essence!

Thanks.
Bill, Poulsbo, WA

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bonsell:
Let me jump in here as well. I am also looking for SCCA school over the winter/spring. Regarding SCCA membership, does ones' membership run for the calendar year or for a 12mo period regardless of when joining. I want to join asap, but not now if membership up December 31st.

Also, I have bought the drivers suit (SFI 3.2A/5). Is there a required rating on shoes. I have a pair of piloti's, but more of a driving style shoe versus a race shoe...wide foot is the problem.

Would really like to buy the GCR's, as it is a huge document to read online...also, how is a log book obtained? At my age, time is of the essence!

Thanks.
Bill, Poulsbo, WA

memberships are good for a year from time of purchase or joining.
Not sure about the shoes

Log books are obtained when you apply for your novice permit papers, and should be gotten before you head to any schools or try to get your scca license

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Log book is not issued until you have the car teched.
Read your GCR, you need a novice pemit to enter a school.
Read your GCR, shoes and gloves need to be fire proof.
Instructors do not ride with students in SCCA.
You can buy a GCR through Topeka.
Call Topeka Monday morning and see if there is any way to rush your membership and novice permit through so you can joint the fun at Watkins Glen Thursday night. Not sure but maybe there is a way.
If you bought a SM that was already on track you should have gotten the log book from the previous owner. If it is new we could tech it Thursday night and get you a log book, although we prefer to have it done before you get there.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

BernyP Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: ATL
Car #: 441
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BernyP     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just went through all of this last year so these questions are all too familiar to me. I started from scratch with a stock Miata and worked my way up to regional licenses with NASA and SCCA. Once you realize the differences between the two organizations the process will make more sense.

NASA uses a ladder program called HPDE with levels 1 through 4, with 1 being a beginner. These track sessions take place during race weekends. The levels start with an instructor in the car with you. You need 2 seats with equal safety gear for each. As you progress, the instructor will sign you off to solo, and when ready, to move to the next level. You don't have to have a race-legal car for HPDE until you are ready for comp school. After completing the ladder, you can apply for a comp license and register for a comp school and test, which also takes place during a race weekend. The NASA comp school is usually one day with a test race at the end. Unless you already have extensive track time with open passing, I highly recommend this method. When you get to comp school, you better know how to drive a race car at speed. They don't teach you that there. By the time I finished the ladder system I was well prepared for the schools with NASA as well as SCCA.

The SCCA comp school is different in that you show up with a legal race car ready to go. You better know how to drive. My school was a 2 day event that was seperate from a race weekend. SCCA requires 2 days of school, and a 2 day satisfies this requirement. This was around $400 for the weekend. I consider both schools to be valuable learning tools.

The pro schools are the ones that provide you a car, safety equipment, and a loan application. (3500 - 4000 $$$$$) Skip Barber, etc. There is plenty of info on this site about those.

There are some things that are similar between NASA and SCCA. They both require a logbook for you and one for your car. Take your car for an annual tech inspection way before comp school, and get a log book signed off before you go. The drivers logbook will be assigned to you when you register for the school. Get you physical way before the school. If you have a health insurance plan, they sometimes schedule exams 3 months in advance or more. Walk-in doctors charge a lot for a physical. Ask me how I know.
They both will require full safety gear for the school. They both will require knowledge of the rulebook. Read it. Then read it again. SCCA will send a hard copy when you apply (and pay) for the comp school. They are both online for free. They will start to make sense after about the 3rd reading, and will make even more sense once you are sitting in a class with a test in front of you...

Have fun!

Berny Petersen

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by BernyP:
Get you physical way before the school.

From SCCA Member Services on 9/30/2008 "...we will need a medical for you and it has to be with in 90days of the date of the license application..."

Don't get it way too early or you'll have to turn your head and cough all over again. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for BernyP     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very true. I should say SCHEDULE your exam way ahead of time. Your wallet will thank you!

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by BernyP:

The SCCA comp school is different in that you show up with a legal race car ready to go. You better know how to drive. My school was a 2 day event that was seperate from a race weekend. SCCA requires 2 days of school, and a 2 day satisfies this requirement. This was around $400 for the weekend. I consider both schools to be valuable learning tools.

Berny Petersen

Very good info Berny, except that to get your SCCA license after a single weekend, you need to ask ahead of time and be checked to a higher standard. Most SCCA licenses come after two weekends of school, the exception being the "double" schools.

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:

Don't get it way too early or you'll have to turn your head and cough all over again. [Wink]

The 90 days only applies to license application, not the license itself. So, apply for your novice permit within 90 days of your physical. Completion of the requirements to obtain the license can be over the next two years. The exception is if your age or physical condition restricts you to physicals every year.

As for buying a hard copy of the GCR, it comes with your membership. You get a new one every year you renew. However, there may be updates to the GCR online. That is the case this year.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

quote:
Very good info Berny, except that to get your SCCA license after a single weekend, you need to ask ahead of time and be checked to a higher standard. Most SCCA licenses come after two weekends of school, the exception being the "double" schools.

You are correct sir! I should call the above referenced school a "double school" instead of a two day. It was actually 3 days and it was a superschool, or a "double" school, which satisfies the requirements in one weekend instead of two. [thumbsup]

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a double school at Savannah Feb 12th-15th, good times and typically lots of SM folks wandering around.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do you have a the link for the double school in Savanna?

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Check Buccaneer Region website, SCCA.
Also maybe Roebling Road Raceway site.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The double drivers school is Feb 12-15 2009 at Roebling. http://www.buccaneerregion.org/clubevents.html
There is also a drivers school in April at Daytona and July at Sebring.
http://66.235.178.17/CFREventSchedule/tabid/1423/Default.aspx

I would recommend calling your regional SCCA club racing rep listed on the SCCA website for advice. Call the Chief scrutineer (tech guy) for your region about getting your car teched way before the school. My car had not been raced in 2 years and needed several things changed before I was given an annual tech. Rick Henschel the CFR region Chief came to my house and did the annual tech inspection and checked and stickered my helmet(some people will go out of their way to help you). Topeka was not very helpful on getting my license to me quickly. I did the Skip Barber schools this time and last attended an SCCA school 30 years ago so I can't help you there. Read the GCR and all supps and all of the Fastracks that have been issued for changes.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: