Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » A few quick questions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: A few quick questions
David S.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David S.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just sold my S2000 so I could get a miata solely for the track. Eventually, I would love to get into wheel to wheel racing, but for now will stick to HPDE's. I saw a few threads mentioning custom cages being the way to go. How bad is the miatacage.com cage ( i want a proper cage for when I decide to race)? Also, on the miatacage website the spec suspension says that you can only buy it with a proper racer number. Is there any way to buy the suspension package without being a registered spec miata racer? Thanks for the help,

David

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David,

First, welcome to the web site. The miatacage is a nice cage. There are many of them out there in SM's. You will need to find a qualified shop to put it in. Preferably one that has done miata's before. Also, if you post where you are located you will probably get recommendations on local shops to use.

Getting a Mazda Motor Sports membership is free and very simple. Just follow this link and you can get signed up. You will need to have a car first as they will want the VIN and some pictures of the car.

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Good luck.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

David S.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David S.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I'm located in Northern Virginia. I am an ASE master certified mechanic and my Dad has been a welder since he was 20, do you think the cage install would be something we could do? He custom made one for his stock car back in the day, but well, that was back in the day. It said a 20something page installation booklet came with it so I figured it was pretty detailed. Thanks again,

David

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David,

Check with Mike Collins. He is a mod on this board and I believe he is pretty close to you. He has a whole fleet of these cars and would be a good person to meet and he can show you some good cars and give some good advice. If Mike doesn't see this and post send me a PM and I will send his contact info.

Any good welder can put the cage in. That said, there are requirements for SCCA and NASA. Someone who has done this before in a miata would really be the way to go. I can weld, but I wouldn't put in my own cage...

Edit: Here is the link to Mike's web site http://www.meatheadracing.com/

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David,
I have a miatacage. I think the cage is very good and Sean, the owner, is a good guy to do business with. I have zero affiliation with him or his company. I just call em like I see em and he's done me right. FYI - He's stuck in the current winter travel mess right now so be a bit patient if you try to contact him right away.

If you do go that route, send me a PM and I can give you some handy pics. My cage builder has done a few of those cages and made a couple of little tweaks that have some nice benifits, especially if you're tall or want a working heater.

Your dad sounds like he has the welding skills to get the job done right. There will be some tricky bits regardless if he hasn't installed one before like just where to cut the holes for the tubes that go from the main hoop into your trunk and what stuff to gut out of the dashboard. One of the nice things about having someone weld it in who's done a few before is they've gone through the frustrating bits a couple of times before they get to *your* car.

Another thing to think of is do you and your dad have all the right tools or do you want to own them? Not so much the welding equipment but to mitre joints, cut and bend if you want to get things "just right" for you and your car.

Keith

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David, click my link, send me an email, we can help you get started in the right direction. We support Sean at Miatacage and are authorized by him.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: