Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Newb from the Southeast

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Newb from the Southeast
Holden B.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Holden B.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello everyone, I'm Holden and I'm from Alabama and I just joined the forum and figured I might as well introduce myself.

A little bit about me..

I'm literally just starting to get involved in organized motorsports. No MX5 yet but I do have an FC RX7 and have been through a couple nissan 240sx's, done the track day thing and aside from spirited driving..well that's about all of my experience right there.

Ill try to stay brief. I originally jumped onto the whole drifting band wagon about 4 years ago, it is still a passion of mine due to the perceived emphasis on self improvement vs direct competition but I have had a growing desire to really experience wheel to wheel racing and appreciate it more and the pressures involved. I gave thought to building the FC for an ITA car but still being ignorant of a lot of things, the potential for being out engineered is still so much greater than SM and the cost of running the cars seems much higher.

These little Roadsters have always fascinated me anyway and so does momentum racing so SM really seems like the right stepping stone for me once I can develop some prelimenary qualifications.

In the mean time I hope I can pick up some valuable information and benefit from all of the experience here. Any advice in getting started and how to prepare your skills/knowledge of the racing world/opinions on building vs buying etc...all are more than welcome and appreciated. My current agenda is to just get my hands on a non mutilated stock roadster and get involved with the local SCCA Solo 2 program and incrementaly build the car to meet SM spec while getting my mechanical/driving experience on the way.

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome! You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome! Do your homework and spend more time working on your driving skills than your car, you'll end up at the pointy end of the field a LOT faster that way [Smile]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
Welcome! Do your homework and spend more time working on your driving skills than your car, you'll end up at the pointy end of the field a LOT faster that way [Smile]

+1 on that...

I started 4 years ago with a $9K very basic race-ready car. By not spending all of my money on the car, I was able to run 25 races over 7 weekends my first season. Seat time gets you seconds of lap time. Expensive cars get you tenths.

Stop by at a race or two and check things out while you're getting ready. I'm in the Southeast... drop in and say hi!

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Yeah yeah.... what do you know????

Congrats on a great season! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Holden B.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Holden B.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I believe in this whole heartedly and it is why a class like SM appeals to me. Very strict specifications and very close cars making driver contribution easily 95% of the whole pie there. When you cant rely on mechanical advantage..you have no CHOICE but to look inward for time and analyze yourself and push it.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome to SM, We are from the south east so come and see us.

Thanks

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be careful. Tiley and Thornton will want you to grow a tiley beard. They claim it's good for two seconds a lap at VIR.
Seriously welcome to the SM collective. Resistance isn't necessarily futile, but it won't do much good. You'll be assimilated.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Holden B.

My biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to your own etc etc?

Wonderful reference.

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rick, You need a "Tiley" beard. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob Thornton

Holden B.

Im not sure what a Tiley beard is but I do neglect shaving on occasion.

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Forget about any other class. SM is THE show. If you can work your way to the pointy end of the field and dominate like Lamb, Foss, Saini, Daniels etc, the pro rides will follow.

I'll say it...... IF YOU ARE FAST IN SM YOU WILL BE FAST IN ANY FORM OF MOTOR RACING. In too many other classes you can buy your way to the front of very small fields, and walk home every weekend with a winners trophy. In SM you will have to fight for every trophy and every trophy will have been earned.

Welcome to the class and good luck.

PS - remember its not how fast you are, its how good you look! Make your car distinctive!!!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

That's a Tiley beard. [yep]

--------------------
Bob Thornton

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome. I'm a newb as well. Been here since this past summer. Right now I'm keeping my mouth shut, and learning. To steal a line from 'Cool Hand Luke' when Luke first got to the prison camp, I'm doing more "work with my ears" right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Forget about any other class. SM is THE show. If you can work your way to the pointy end of the field and dominate like Lamb, Foss, Saini, Daniels etc, the pro rides will follow.

I'll say it...... IF YOU ARE FAST IN SM YOU WILL BE FAST IN ANY FORM OF MOTOR RACING. In too many other classes you can buy your way to the front of very small fields, and walk home every weekend with a winners trophy. In SM you will have to fight for every trophy and every trophy will have been earned.

Welcome to the class and good luck.

PS - remember its not how fast you are, its how good you look! Make your car distinctive!!!!!

Exactly the reason I purchased a Miata this past summer. After taking the Corvette Performance Driving School at Spring Mountain, getting hooked, purchasing a C5 Z06 Corvette a few years ago, and tracking it several times, I've come to realize after talkng with guys in the NASA Mid-West paddock, that the Miata will get me to become a better driver.

After volunteering in Tech this past summer, to gain an even different perspective on motorsports, I plan to work up the NASA ladder, TT next year, then maybe jump into wheel-wheel racing in SM, or maybe hop back in the Vette. Although I think racing will give me plenty of great stories to tell as I get older, and help me to learn about myself.

Welcome! Remember, the mind is designed to solve problems.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holden if you would like to meet some of the racers on this site and get a feel for the class.....then come down to Sebring Thanksgiving weekend for the Turkey Trot.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Holden B.:
[QB]Hello everyone, I'm Holden and I'm from Alabama ..

Where in Banma?

Holden B.

Montgomery area

Prattville/millbrook specificaly.

I just noticed in your profile you are in Prattville. Small world it seems.

Holden B.

Lets talk schools.

Since SCCA requires you to pass a "school" to attain a regional competition license. Well..I fail to see any "schools" via SCCA's website :-/ This could be due to my extremely poor ability to sort information and navigate the website lol.

So how did YOU attain your competition licenses?

the Skip Barber base at Road Atlanta is close to me ..And their three day school seems like my best bet so far. It says graduates are then qualified to apply for Regional SCCA licenses.

But is this the only school option to attain a regional license?

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's the 2010 schedule for your division. There is a double school at Roebling. Don't know how far that is for you. If you do a double SCCA school, you can race the next regional. Two regionals and you get a license. Cost is way less than Sippy. You don't learn how to win, like you can at Barber or Bondurant, etc.

http://www.sedivracing.org/2010Schedule.pdf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holden

Roebling Road is just outside of Savannah and will cost you approx $400 for the entry fee, plus hotel, gas, etc.

Skip barber will cost $3200 discounted for the 3 day school and a $250 fee to get them to issue a letter saying you are ready for a regional license. If you aren't ready for the Feb schools, CFR has a school at Daytona in April and at Sebring in July.

I did the skip Barber school...it was great! They prep the car and you drive for three days.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Skippy is a good deal - well prepped even cars, good instruction, SCCA license in one school, and there are some killer discounts right now!

Some of their stuff is not for me, but overall its a great way to get started, and pointed in the RIGHT DIRECTION from the start.

Good initial instruction is PARAMOUNT to your progress, just as important as good data will be to you as you get faster.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome to the party, you'll find the SEDIV group are a helpful lot and a fun group. I don't know what your time table is but a couple of suggestions:

1. Work a couple of races (or lots if you want, we can always use the help), a weekend in tech would be good along with a few weekends in F&C. This will really help when you go racing both with knowing procedures but you really can learn watching what the hotshoes do. If you can't race a weekend you can still work the event.

2. Even if you do Skippy doin an SCCA school wouldn't be a bad thing, you'll learn how the weekend works from start to finish.

3. Depending on your car/build schedule do some DE's. Atlanta Region runs the PDX during quiet time on Sundays (muffled car a MUST) while NASA has a strong DE program and Porsche Club runs a very good DE program at Road Atlanta.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Holden B.

The roebling road school. I need my own race prepped car for this right?

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Holden B.:
The roebling road school. I need my own race prepped car for this right?

Yes, or rent one.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Skip Barber sale today only....$2799 for 3 day MX-5 school.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Thornton - Race Engineering:

Hmmmmm. Maybe I could grow one on my head?
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Thornton - Race Engineering:

Hmmmmm. Maybe I could grow one on my head?
Rick

Stock Alert! Stock Alert! Stock Alert! Stock Alert!

Buy all the shares you can afford of Upjohn - the manufacturer of Rogaine. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Holden B.

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Skip Barber sale today only....$2799 for 3 day MX-5 school.

Yeah I cant actually go to a school right now. i was hoping there was a year around schedule of driving schools so I could plan ahead and start saving.

It still makes sense that I should build/buy a car first too. Im sure there is a time limit after completing school where you have to complete your privisional events, and get your license right?

There are SCCA schools in April at Daytona, June at Homestead, and July at Sebring and DC in the spring. Get the SEDIV schedule at sedivracing.org

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: