Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Noob from midwest

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Noob from midwest
jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi,
I'm coming from the rent-a-racer world (Skip Barber race series). Looking for big fields to race in, a durable car and one that I can still do HPDE's with...
One quick question, what does a race weekend cost (on average) for you guys as a car owner? That is, what do you budget to campaign your cars for a season?
(Skip Barber is getting hella expensive as an arrive and drive experience.)
Thanks,
Jim

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

$700 per race weekend is a pretty good average - Entry, hotel, tires, brakes, race fuel, gettin' there fuel.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I budget about $1k running two classes if it requires a hotel stay. If I can sleep in my own bed and cook my own meals it's less. I ran this trap line a few times before and most people seem to average about $700-$1000 a weekend. If you budget the minimum for known expenses, gas, tires, hotel, food, etc. you'll wind up short. Ocassionally you flat spot tires, bend a part, wear out your gloves... The unplanned expenses do add up over time. Cheaper than a weekend at Skippy's though. [yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Too many variables to give an accurate reading.

Distance from home to track
Camp or hotel
Super 8 or Ritz
PB and J or steaks on the grill
number of crew to feed and house
1 day event, or 2 or 3 or 4 days
one class or 2 classes
is track hard on brakes, tires etc
Are YOU hard on brakes, tires, etc.
How well do you maintain the car.
What condition is the car at the first event.

If you budget $1000 you should be fine unless you fall into the "hard on equipment" catagory.

My typical arrive and drive guys spend about $1200 for a 1 day event, about $1800 for a 2 day. And they do nothing except show up with helmet and suit.

A word of advise, NEVER NEVER NEVER add up the receipts. You don't want to know.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

jim kettelkamp

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I am presently trying to sell my street car to buy a good mid-range SM and trailer. It's fun to look at the ads and dream about a new adventure....

jim kettelkamp

I got my car, 1.6 liter SM!
Who here is in the Midwest Council &/or CenDiv SCCA?

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats! PM me if you have any questions. I built mine and have learned a lot. I'm in Kansas City. Mine's a 91 with a crate bottom and Meathead head. I only race at Hallett right now. Great, great track.

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Jim! I see you are signed up for the Council, and the SCCA Schools...because I am also. And I am a bit more a rookie than you...you have the seat time in Skip Barber...pure track rookie here!

Will be good to see you out there!

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

[ 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Zauskycop ]

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Jerret Gerber

Region: Central
Car #: 9
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerret Gerber     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi JIm, I started racing 2 yrs ago and the expence kind of depends on how much you want to race. The first year we ran all regional and council and spent an average of 700-1000 a weekend, racing 2 classes, tons of fun and didn't think about the expence, last year we ran all nationals with a couple regionals for track time, lots more money invested still had fun but you reaLLY GOT TO DEDICATE more. We generally cook our own food and we also camp at the track with about 7-9 people so we have to bring 2 vehicles. Looking forward to competing against you . Look us up if you need anything #9 orange/yellow sm, me crew chief is a brain. Also dave wheeler has a lot of help and runs a sm shop. You will love the racing.

jim kettelkamp

See you on the 17th Tracy!
Jerret, I actually ended up buying my car from Dave, SM red #73.
Looking forward to the season!

Jerret Gerber

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerret Gerber     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh sorry didnt know, great choice. He is alot of help. He helped us out . We built ours from ground up but with everything from him. I can't wait for the season to start either. What number car are you going to be. I will lokk you up at the council school.

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

See you guys at the MWC school. Red #43 (currently sitting at Dave's shop). My son is HSAXing our other red miata so look for 2. Looks like at least 4 of us so far.

Last year was my first year racing and I was on the east coast. The biggest costs that varied for me were food and lodging. A tent/RV knocks $100-250 off the weekend. We used to bring all out food as well as track food is usually marginal but expensive. Toward the end we would go out to dinner Saturday night but pretty much bring everything else. Those are the easy one to to control.

Tires are likely next on the costs list. I had older tires that came with the car I ran through. They were pretty crap and I could tell. Late season I got a set of 4/32 and could really tell the difference. Guys at the fast end will run 2/32 and run them much harder. Not sure what the average life of a 4/32 is for a mid packer.

Fuel jugs are a great investment. Tracks I was at charged over the top for POG. An extra couple dollars a gallon over a weekend really do add up.

I slipped by on the cheap end - $500-600 a weekend.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:

A word of advise, NEVER NEVER NEVER add up the receipts. You don't want to know.

Dave

And if you don't follow Dave's sage advice, NEVER show them to your wife.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Silver #45 here... See you all in a few weeks at the classroom (if you are going)

Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

KachMiata

Car #: 80
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am also fairly new to the midwest SM scene. Anyone one going to be running the double national at Blackhawk at the end of April? I am in the blue/white '99 #80.

Jerret Gerber

I will be at the double nat at blackhawk running the orange #9. Hopefully we will have a decent field of cars. Based on the new rules for qualifying for the runoffs we should see more competitors. See you all down there, if you have any questions or need any help look us up.

KachMiata

Car #: 80
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jerret Gerber:
Based on the new rules for qualifying for the runoffs we should see more competitors. See you all down there, if you have any questions or need any help look us up.

I am new to the National scene. What do you mean by we should see more competitors due to the rule change? I will look for you next weekend.

-Jack

Jerret Gerber

You dont need to finish in top 10 in your division of record, all you need is four finishes with at least 2 in your division. So if you have a national license all you have to do is finish 4 races and your in. It really sucks in a way but the economy I think has something to do about it. P.S. They have to be national races of course. See you next weekend rain or shine, I'm hoping for rain, the great equalizer.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: