Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Some silly questions for SoCal drivers

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Some silly questions for SoCal drivers
West Coast Frankie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for West Coast Frankie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm thinking about moving from karts to a spec Miata and I have some general questions.

1) Do you guys have testing/practice days? If so, where and is it an open track day where anyone can come, or do you need a license?

2) Karting would be great, except for those who believe they, or their child, are on the "ladder" to fame and fortune in motorsports. Are most of the people in spec Miata just there for some fun, or do they think that this is the start of their professional motorsports career?

3) I'll be buying a donor and building it with my son as a father/son project. We're little guys and I don't think weight will be problem. Would putting the effort into a 1.6L be worthwhile, seeing as how we are rank beginners and skinny to boot, or should we just get a '99 and be done with it?

--------------------
Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever.
--Evel Kneivel

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by West Coast Frankie:
I'm thinking about moving from karts to a spec Miata and I have some general questions.

1) Do you guys have testing/practice days? If so, where and is it an open track day where anyone can come, or do you need a license?

Yes the friday's before each race weekend with both nasa and scca, and no race license in required.

2) Karting would be great, except for those who believe they, or their child, are on the "ladder" to fame and fortune in motorsports. Are most of the people in spec Miata just there for some fun, or do they think that this is the start of their professional motorsports career?

For competitive fun

3) I'll be buying a donor and building it with my son as a father/son project. We're little guys and I don't think weight will be problem. Would putting the effort into a 1.6L be worthwhile, seeing as how we are rank beginners and skinny to boot, or should we just get a '99 and be done with it?

Having driven both (and being i think the lightest in socal) 99'
you still have minimum weight requirements per the rules, and with the 99 you can play with weight balance a bit more.

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome, as far as testing and practice days, we usually have one on the Friday before a race weekend. I would suggest however, that if you don't know the tracks to learn them by attending track days. Most racers aren't going to want to have someone on track that is new to both the car and the track.

I think for the most part the racers in Socal are just doing it for fun. Somewhat depends on your age and of course talent and money on how far you want to take things. I have just enough of both to get by.

As far as which car to build, I would do a search on this site. There is much discussion about that topic.

Look up the schedule on both SCCA and NASA and come out and watch some racing and introduce yourself.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most of us are way too old/poor to "go pro".

Get the 99-00. 1.6 means you tune mixture and timing. 94-97 means you tune timing. 99 means you tune nothing [Smile]

Test days sometimes require caged cars or fuel cells. PM me for some organizations that host track days that you could take your street car to.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
PM me for some organizations that host track days that you could take your street car to.

Speedventures [yep]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh no, you said it out loud! Grab your stingers! Black helicopters inbound!

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
Oh no, you said it out loud! Grab your stingers! Black helicopters inbound!

No worries, I'm wearing my tinfoil hat right now. They'll never find me!

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can find a healthy list of track events at:

http://www.MotorsportReg.com/calendar

It's still the beginning of the year so expect to see SpeedVentures/etc fill in their stuff shortly.

Here's a prety extensive list of California events:
http://www.bratten.org/TrackDays/

West Coast Frankie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for West Coast Frankie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the links.

I've been to one SCCA event, and I guess I'll check out the next NASA event as well.

Both NASA and SCCA run approximately the same tech rules for SM correct? That is, I can build something that is legal in both organizations?

--------------------
--Evel Kneivel

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, same rules. NASA does however require a right side drivers net and drivers must wear a HANS or similar device.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Richter:
Yes, same rules. NASA does however require a right side drivers net

Or a seat with head protection (right & left bolsters or halo) [thumbsup]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

West Coast Frankie

I'm not sure I want bolsters or a "halo" style seat, I'm kind of used to the carefree nature of kart seats by now.

For a head and neck restraint system, I'm leaning towards the Leatt as I am accustomed to the karting neck braces, I'd feel under dressed without one now.

I was wondering if there is someplace in SoCal where I can try different seats for size and fit. Does anyone know of someplace? I don't really want to buy something off of the Internet and discover it's the wrong size.

--------------------
--Evel Kneivel

Frankie, try Subesports in Huntington Beach or Werks II in Burbank. They have race seats on display for your to sample.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
Frankie, try Subesports in Huntington Beach or Werks II in Burbank. They have race seats on display for your to sample.

Frankie, come visit us at NASAs event at California Speedway March 13th & 14th. Walk the paddock and ask car owners if you can try their seat, most will be cool with it... But just don't ask me, I'm a prick [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

West Coast Frankie

Be at the Auto Club Speedway on March 13th, check.

Stay away from car #13 while at the Auto Club Speedway, check [Wink] .

--------------------
--Evel Kneivel

West Coast Frankie

I'm trying to pick up a donor car.

When reference is made to a "99" Miata, do you mean just the 1999 model year, or do you mean "1999 and 2000" model years, or do you mean "1999 to 20005" model years?

In other words, is the preference for just the 1999 model, or is it 1999 models and newer?

--------------------
--Evel Kneivel

99-00

01+ is for suckers... and Tyler [duck]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: