Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Midwest Council School Vs. Skippy

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Midwest Council School Vs. Skippy
Birddog

Region: Chicago
Car #: 09
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Birddog     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm prepping to run Spec Miata in the CenDiv region for the 2011 season as my first wheel-to-wheel endeavor. Prior to this I've spent three years as an SCCA corner worker and had some HDPE & club driver's school events. I'm trying to determine which school I should attend this July - the Skippy Mx-5 program at Road America, or the Midwest Council school at Blackhawk? In the Spring of 2011 I plan to attend the SCCA school/double regional event, so the school this summer is preparation for that and towards earning my license. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Ed

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just ran the MC school, and the SCCA school over the last two weekends. I HIGHLY recommend the MC school. Far more educational, more personal instruction, feedback and general knowledge. I originally didn't plan on taking it, but I'm glad I did!!!

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

old65 Verified Driver

Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi:
I have done both and I say by all means do the Council school.
It is one very intense Saturday with races on Sunday if you pass it.
The bonus is that in Council you can run two race groups, SM & ITA, with the second group being very affordable.
This also means that you can get two sign offs on you novice license each race day, one for each race group, so that you can have your full six sign offs in three race days.
This year with Council holding a double race weekend at Road America you can have your novice requirements completed by the middle of August, work a corner at the next race to get your full comp license and still have time to run four+ fall SCCA Regional races races (SCCA accepts Council full comp licenses for regional races).
A busy schedule but one that will allow you to qualify and apply for an SCCA national license in only five race weekends (three Council race days, one Council corner work day and two SCCA race days, the Fall Sprints, all days in two race race groups).
Plus you will have the fun of having a lot of other Miatas and drivers to help you.
Hope to see you in July.
Ray

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Birddog-

Let me preface this with the fact that I am an MC instructor...

This questions is asked once in a while and the best answer is that the 2 schools (Skippy vs Council) have different goals. MC and SCCA schools are based mostly on making sure the students are safe on track and have a thorough understanding of the race day once your instructor feels you have the basics down they will then begin working on making you faster. Also, in MC anyway, we always say that your school extends onto the race day whether that is the next day or the next race. That is where you start to learn more about how to go faster. Skippy has some of the saftey focus, but their focus tends to be more performance based.

Both have their place and both considered good schools and I know MC is working to improve their schools at each and every time.

Tracey and Ray's points are also very good.

Dave

--------------------
Dave Cox

kneedragger302

Region: Milwaukee
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kneedragger302     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I plan on taking the MC school in July at Blackhawk and look forward to it!!!

--------------------
Nic Piekarski
Sheboygan Falls WI
Newbie to SCCA/MC and SM

bandersen

Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bandersen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you know the basics, I would forgo Skippy and go with MC. Skippy focuses on the basics, and does not get into racecraft much. You do get to choose the track which is nice. Skippy also does have a good arrive and drive spec race series which is open to graduates. However, it sounds like you have your own car and transportation so that is not as desirable. As others have said, the MC school has much more personal coaching and you get to do two practice races where you go wheel to wheel. If you do go with Skip Barber, I would recommend trying a track you would not get to like Laguna Seca rather than Road America as you will be out there with SCCA/MC. One last thing, you can get a decent book from the Skip Barber school 'Going Faster' and get some of what they teach and prepare yourself for the MC school. Of course seat time is where the majority of learning will occur. Perhaps both MC and SCCA driving schools?

--------------------
SM #17

Birddog

Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Birddog     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the input Tracy, Ray, and Dave - all very helpful.

Nic - I hope to see you out in July at the MC school - as I've decided to go that way instead of the Skip Barber program.

Bandersen: Thanks to you also, and I've owned the "Going Faster" video since 1988 and I bet I've watched it 100 times! I don't have a car yet, but I am considering purchasing a 1990 SM from Advanced Autosports which was #17 - that wouldn't have been your previous ride would it?

--------------------
Ed

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto on all the above. I took the MC school with Tracy and Dave was my instructor. I've taken SCCA schools before and another race school when I was living in Australia and the MC school is very well done.

The bit about running two classes at a reasonable cost is a big plus for MWC. You can get your license quicker but more importantly you can get track time which is even more important. I'd also suggest that you can likely get thru the MWC school and several races for the price of one skippy school.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can't beat the value equation of the Midwest Council school vs. Skip Barber. I was very impressed w/ the organization and my instructor.

bandersen

Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bandersen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
I am considering purchasing a 1990 SM from Advanced Autosports which was #17
What a coincidence, yes #17 was my old ride.

One of the other nice things about Council are the people. It makes going to the races much more fun and the SMers are a tight group. I go to most of the events so if you do the school you should see me as well as most of the people who replied.

I went through the MC school just last year, I also did the Skip Barber school and one race with them. As well as SCCA regional and national races. Of all of them, I like MC the best.

PM me if you have any questions (about Council, racing, SM, or the car).

-Bruce

--------------------
SM #17

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I got in, I took both Scca, and council schools. Both really do have their merits. The next year I spent the big bucks on skippy, I do not regret a dime [Wink]

(I took the council school twice, not because I had to, but because I thought it was a steal of a bargain, and wanted to have another instructors point of view)

I have Moved more towards council, in my racing, I enjoy the "family" and well yes I have moved enough that way that I am a certified instructor as well, with council.
Dont get me wrong, Scca is a great club, I love it. I just like council a wee bit better. When I had to make some decisions about where to spend my money, one of the things that swayed me was the effort put towards new racers, and the attitude towards new racers that Mc does.
The Passion from an instructor with Mc, is grassroots, think about it? This instructor will buckle up in your car next to you. How can you get a better instructor? Please if you do Mc school, put a pax seat in your car! We WANT to be there with you! Okay, now we sound insane [Wink]

Willy
the D part of BTDT

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Birddog:
#17 - that wouldn't have been your previous ride would it?

quick car [Smile]

look forward to seeing you out there!

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: