Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Which Battery to use

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Which Battery to use
Larry Colen Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Larry Colen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The battery in my Miata was toast. Before I buy a new one, is there any battery that is preferred? Does it really matter?

RacerKyle Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 86
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RacerKyle     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As I see it there are two choices.

1. Get an original battery from a mazda dealor. It is a bit pricey but will fit where it belongs and will be secured properly in place with the original parts there.

2. Get a Westco battery. They are cheaper and are supposed to be better than the original replacement. The new ones by them have the terminals located correctly so there are no connection difficulties. It is supposed to bolt down the same way as the original ones, but I have no first hand experience with this so can't say for sure.

http://www.westcobattery.com/miata.htm

This is the link to the company and there are a few good articles at Miata.net as well.

--------------------
Kyle
Red 1990 number 86!

Andrew C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 46
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andrew C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just went through my first WestCo battery... it lasted a year. It was fine during last season, but after it sat over the winter (disconnected), it wouldn't hold a charge. I had a WestCo dealer tell me (after the fact) that they are not always as reliable as advertized and they do a lot of warranty work. That being said, WestCo was VERY helpful and immediately shipped me a new battery free of charge, even though the warranty said it should be pro-rated since I had bought it just over a year ago. I'm just glad that there was someone that had a jumper pack that I could use on grid at the last race (thanks Bret!)

jmac36

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmac36     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Autozone sells a nice battery for about 59.00.They fit in the same place,and, if you need it,are a few pounds more that the original

xs_speed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for xs_speed   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am quite new to this scene as I just purchased my first SM; but people are running standard lead acid batteries? I was looking through what I believe was the SCCA Rules and it does not specify but I was under the impression that we would need to run an AGM battery. Is this not correct? Thank you for the help.

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put a Deka glass mat in two years ago. Same size, etc as OEM. As I remember the cost was around $110.
Also suggest a "Battery Tender" type trickle charger. With all the batteries that do not get daily use, it seems I always have it charging something.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by capmoco:
I am quite new to this scene as I just purchased my first SM; but people are running standard lead acid batteries? I

Yep, we are. I believe the rules allow any battery so long as it is the same weight and size as the origial - and is installed in the same location.
Rick
P.S. Welcome to the collective!

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Deka lawntractor lead acid. Lasted six seasons and just bought a replacement at Lowe's for $39.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on the Battery Tender

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: