Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Frequently Asked Questions » Lexan window source

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Lexan window source
GaryR

Region: NER
Icon 5 posted  Profile for GaryR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anybody know of a current source for lexan windows - driver's side and naca duct vents?

Thanks,
Gary

cnewman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 86
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnewman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check the classifieds...Accesories.

--------------------
Chuck Newman

Chris T Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Instigator

Region: WDCR
Car #: 44 SM& 44 SSM
Year : '96 & '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris T     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can buy some lexan for the drivers side from Home Depot or Lowes. The lexan is flat, and unless you have a way of shaping it, it is almost useless. It is better to use the factory window and design it to be easily removed.

Does anyone know how to shape the lexan so that it will form fit the window?

--------------------
Chris Tamburo
'96 SM #44
'90 SSM #44
Check it out http://www.meatheadracing.com
SM,SSM cars for sale,rent,rent-to-own

Shawn@sampsonracing.com Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA/SoCal
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did the Homebase thing w/ both windows.

Took the window out
- drew out its shape on the Lexan
- air saw came next
- then buffing wheel on the sides
- stuffed it back up in the frame with the rubber in place
- drilled a hole in the bottom of the Lexan through the door to keep it in place (Flex... its a fit flex kind of job, just shove or pull out the wife's hair drier, she just loves when the stuff from the house ends up in the shop!)
- pulled out the 1.5" hole saw form the old framers bag (one of my other lifes) put three hole in it and bingo air... and a ton of it!

[ 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Shawn@sampsonracing.com ]

--------------------
Shawn Sampson/Sampson Racing Communications
Offical NASA Racing Communication Company
NASA SM/PTE/E3
2005- 1st Place EO 25 Hour Enduro NASA 86' Mazda Rx7 (RIP)
http://www.SampsonRacing.com
http://www.SRCProducts.com
Toll Free -866-396-7231

Instigator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris T     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I may have responded incorrectly in my above post. I realize that Gary wanted NACA duct windows, but I thought he was also asking to put in a replacement drivers side window for storage, security, or rain while the car sits outside.

--------------------
Chris Tamburo
'96 SM #44
'90 SSM #44

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris,

Are you talking about the main window or the small triangular window? I assure you and everyone else that a flat piece of Lexan works quite well as a replacement for the triangular window. It's shaped by the window frame.

My windows are direct replacements for the OEM glass and are held in place the same way as the OEM glass. It takes about ten minutes to R&R.

Shawn, how much time did you spend on the project?

Instigator

Karl,

I know your triangular replacements are good. I bought one! The fit and finish is great. I am talking about the main window. I want the lexan replacement to fit like a factory window.

--------------------
Chris Tamburo
'96 SM #44
'90 SSM #44

GaryR

Region: NER
Icon 7 posted  Profile for GaryR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, I am looking for both the ducted vents (sell me some, please) and a Lexan window to pop in the driver's door during transportation on my open trailer.

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shawn@sampsonracing.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl- took me about an hour to do both.

--------------------
NASA SM/PTE/E3
Toll Free -866-396-7231

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gary, pm me, I have a source.

--------------------
Jerry

2001 ARRC Winner

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Chris,

You can lay a piece of Lexan over the OEM glass and "warm" it into place. It takes a big oven but it can be done. [Smile] If there are enough folks out there who want one, I'll look into making them. I don't really know why anyone would want one though. You can modify the OEM window tracks to hold the glass in place for transport, but open the door and it just pops right out.

BTW, thanks Chuck. How's the power situation? [Smile]

Instigator

Karl,

Thanks for the info. My OEM window was set up that way, but it got broken. Because I have not gotten around to replacing it, I cut one from a piece of lexan for the time being.

--------------------
Chris Tamburo
'96 SM #44
'90 SSM #44

Justin Hall Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: sfr
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Hall   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

shawn, yea I was going to have to call karl on the friendly bs regarding install time.......or it could be that I am not mechanically inclined [Smile] . I have a driver and passenger side air duct from karl and couldnt be happier.

--------------------
Justin Hall

Steve-90 Verified Driver

Region: SF Region
Car #: 47
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve-90   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl, I need a lexan driver side window...and would be interested in buying one ready to go. I will Private Message you about it. I have to start storing my car outside (new house has a garage..but it is got a bedroom in it) [Smile]

--------------------
Steve S
#47 SFR SCCA SM
1990 Red/Silver Top

Justin- [thumbsup] NO BS... I just use a BIG [Smash] !

Took me longer to drive to ACE. Also, [twocents] the right tools made for a easy job and after building a GT 3rd gen mazda from the ground up... I've got one of something, in some draw, in some spot, somewhere.

--------------------
NASA SM/PTE/E3
Toll Free -866-396-7231

2001 ARRC Winner

Well, for those not so mechanically inclined. [Smile]

I'll assume the main window has been removed. Open the door and inspect the top of the triangular frame around the small window. There are TWO small Phillips head screws that hold the weather stripping and the vertical frame member to the diagonal frame member. Remove those and then, with a 10 mm socket, remove the bolt that holds the same vertical window frame to the top of the door. The bolt is visible if the door panel is off. If you have NASCAR bars the window frame was probably cut so you will now be able to remove the vertical portion of the frame and remove the glass while still in the weather stripping. Without NASCAR bars you will have to loosen or remove the bolt (10 mm head again) that attaches the frame to the bottom of the door. Remove the rubber weather stripping from the glass, install the polycarbonate window of your choice back into the rubber and reinstall. Silicone lubricant speeds up the process slightly.

Just teasing Shawn. For some, time is money and for others the joy of creation is priceless. Hopefully I can help both.

[thumbsup] Karl- No problem... Nice work or the description.

[Wink] I'm more like the bull in a china shop kind of guy anyway!

[ 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Shawn@sampsonracing.com ]

--------------------
NASA SM/PTE/E3
Toll Free -866-396-7231

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl,

I would buy one -- my third drivers side door got broken today at TWS. the wind knocked it of the table. So if you decide to make this product count me on

thanks
William

2001 ARRC Winner

Hi William,

This was the first product I made. 400 or so later I keep telling everyone I won't make any more. Then someone calls and wants a pair because ours "look the best." I have another 15 or so in stock at the moment.

hotlap97

Icon 1 posted  Profile for hotlap97     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi guys,
I know you are discussing lexan vent windows but I was wondering if anybody knows of where I might find a rear lexan window for my hardtop? Or should I just attempt the methods discussed from before, using a hammer and a blow dryer?

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not sure if you're an SM guy or not. But ... a lexan rear window would not be legal in SM.

That said, normal lexan is very hard to shape. They make a variant that's easier to shape.

See the prod car site for more info on shaping windshields. http://prodracing.com/prodcar

-Kyle

old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just got a nice set of Lexan vent windows from Dave Wheeler over at Advanced Autosports.
He is having them made with an adjustable vent control in them and they were cheap enough that it wasn't worth trying to make them myself.
He has them on his web site.

hotlap97

Icon 1 posted  Profile for hotlap97     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, I did not know a lexan rear window was not legal in sm. I must have overlooked that in the rule book. I will look again, thanks.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Its not really in the rulebook.

Its covered under the "If it doesn't say you can do it, then you can't" clause.

Greg

hotlap97

Right on, thanks amigo.

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry to reserect an old thread but I am looking for a lexan drivers side window. However, the lexan window must also cover the space where the qtr window used to be. (its been removed)

Anyone making these? Karl? Dave?

Thanks
John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: