Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Announcements » Brett Smrz Fund

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Brett Smrz Fund
Jim Daniels

Icon 14 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd like to use the power of this site calling on my fellow racers and my personal sponsors to help raise funds. I'd like to assist Brett with the needed monies to purchase hand controls for the MX5 Cup car.

I do not have the details worked out, please be ready to help a fellow racer and very young man when I do.

More asap, thanks!!

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I cannot find contact information on Peter Keane. Can someone provide or Peter if you see this can you email me?

Thanks!!

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Jim,
I don't know Brett, but from everything I've heard he's a great young man with some pretty mean talent.

Don't know all of the details, but you can count SafeRacer in on helping out.

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

M Miller
All around good guy

Region: Great Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for M Miller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi guys-

Let's not jump the gun here. As far as I know, Brett will not need hand controls for the MX5 car. He will have a very useable prosthetic most likely and his father already has done hundreds of hours of research on the best method.

Let's find out what he will ACTUALLY need before we start going crazy.

--------------------
Marc Miller
http://www.GoTeamMER.com
http://www.MAZDAOCA.org

Justin Hall Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: sfr
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Hall   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a noble cause but amputee below the knee shouldnt result in needing hand controls as Marc points out. Brett should be able to drive a car with all normal controls with a prosthetic leg.

Brett, good luck. I race against a guy in Grand Am Koni challenge who is a cancer survivor but lost his leg above the knee during his fight....and he drives just fine!!!

--------------------
Justin Hall

Jim Daniels

Yeah, I have a name of a guy that makes / uses the clutch attachment, working on it.

Jim Daniels

quote:
Originally posted by millerracer:
Hi guys-

Let's not jump the gun here. As far as I know, Brett will not need hand controls for the MX5 car. He will have a very useable prosthetic most likely and his father already has done hundreds of hours of research on the best method.

Let's find out what he will ACTUALLY need before we start going crazy.

I never go crazy, working out the details is what I said [Wink]

Hand controls = whatever is needed such as the attachment Chris Ridgeway uses etc...

M Miller
All around good guy

Region: Great Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for M Miller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think you might not understand what exactly he will be missing, which is the foot and lower portion of the leg below the knee.

He will have use of his knee, so a prosthetic attachment, such as carbon fiber leg/foot with shock system will all be needed to perform the normal functions of you and I. He will not need special attachments, controls, etc.

But the community's support is appreciated! At this point, moral support is the most important part.

--------------------
Marc Miller
http://www.GoTeamMER.com
http://www.MAZDAOCA.org

Jim Daniels

Marc, you head it up my friend. I did not concern myself with the injury as much as what the price tag for the items needed (so I could raise money) are.

Raising money is what we can do here, not guess what apparatus is needed.

I will close this topic, you guys at MER let us know what we can do.

FYI, Chris Ridgeway (DP driver that NIKE built a system for) is willing to help, just needs to be invited to the discussion.

Heal toe is the concern in our cars, I'm sure Chris can go over the different scenarios.

Brett's recovery is on our minds, this site is here to help.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: