Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Announcements » JD's SM Build Guide

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: JD's SM Build Guide
JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After many years of being asked I decided to do a build guide. I bought a 1994 Miata and will be dropping some of the build notes here. Once finished, I will prepare a full guide, step by step including the dyno checklist.

I'm doing a "PRO" build in my home garage, not at my shop. I want the guide to be for the home builder with the goal of him/her preparing a front running professional quality car.

This will be a tell all guide, the tech legal but not so "intent" legal complete "how to" with all the black magic of passing tech reveled.

Some folks are not so happy with me and I'm sure once some other folks find out what can be done and pass tech, they wont either. But, it is time for a guide like this.

The guide will be free just like the setup guide.

The car is for sale, I'm not building it to race, building it for this guide. See the classified section soon.

Visit here if you want to follow the build, sponsors will be announced soon.

[ 12-14-2009, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: JIM DANIELS ]

JIM DANIELS

JD's Build Guide Supporters:

These companies will provide technical and product support in their field of expertise.

MiataCage.com (Sean)

Race Engineering (Bob and Tracy)

Meathead Racing (Mike)

SP Induction (Terry)

SafeRacer.com (Charlie)

AMG (Jason)

Mothers Car Wax (Jim & Dennis)

(Shock Sponsor Removed)

RP Performance (Bret)

MAZDASPEED (STEVE SANDERS)

Several more supporters to come, add them soon.

Thanks to all that are helping especially those doing the video and illustration volunteering!

This is a free guide offered as a service to the community, I'm confident it will be a hit with the home builders! [Big Grin]

[ 02-21-2010, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: JIM DANIELS ]

JIM DANIELS

My Facebook page will have more on the fly posts and pictures during the build.

Facebook Album

-
1994 Miata for the Guide Build.

JIM DANIELS

I've gotten some emails from people in mid build. If you are building a car email me at jim@jimdaniels.com with what stage you are at. I will be glad to help by providing you some pre guide help so you don't miss out. My guide will not be out for a few months so maybe by helping via email you wont miss anything.

Include a phone number too.

JIM DANIELS

It appears that many of you out there are building cars, my email is loaded up.

The biggest help I can give for those mid build are;

1. ECUs I do them for all cars (only 4 of us in the country who can do all years beyond the rev limiter), 1990 to 2009 MX5s (Miata) Timing curves, Fuel curve etc... See the classified section.

2. Bearings throughout the car, everyone from alternator to hubs to cv joints and pilot bearing. Looks exactly the same and obviously passes tech. See the classified section.

3. Shocks, send them to Bernie asking for JD's valving, not much there but easy prep and you wont be caught off guard with a dull shock. You can push the limit as well, ask for JD2 valving [Smile] .

I was not ready to release any info but see no reason those building now cannot get some of the guide stuff on their cars if they want. Classified ads will explain more, have them up in a bit.

JIM DANIELS

Home build problem #1, SPACE.....

Solved, $150.00 for 60 days and some cheap shelves.

-

JIM DANIELS

Less controversial, pro SHOCKS.

(problems with pro shocks at track, company removed)

[ 02-21-2010, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: JIM DANIELS ]

JIM DANIELS

(EDIT: I almost got sucked in [Smile] )

This car will be intent and tech legal because by the time I expose everything, there will be nothing left to cheat. If you are not for that, I have no guidance for you.

JIM DANIELS

Parts are rolling in and the "home" garage should be above 20 degrees this week. Talk about cold, my pool is frozen, first time ever! What a year to jump back into building and then doing it at home.... Been most fun though, I forgot what I've forgot. Then again, not sure I was ever good with the welder [Smile]

Thanks for all the emails, glad to help. If you are building or getting ready and want to chat, call / email me.

JIM DANIELS

Adding to my "before guide" help, even though this is not really car build material, read the links below.

Mine is not easy to use and not setup for quantity. I'm building another one now updating it with some new roller technology from the roofing business (heat welded systems, modified bitumen).

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what is out there.

-

(TireRack)

We will have one built so the private team can copy/buy and Joe at Treadzone will have one at some point for those who just want to buy the service.

I use it at the big shows, can cut my tires to minimum and not waste a session heat cycling them.

Soon, I will not need to write the guide, its trickling out here due to the cold outside [Big Grin]

WHY IT'S NEEDED:

http://tech.rennlist.com/911/pdf/add/heat%20cycling.pdf

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=66

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Topic opened:

After a year of coaching and helping teams I realized that building a car is just a small part of what folks need. A race program guide that includes a setup guide, build guide, tech shed guide, driving tips etc. is the real booklet needed.

So, that is what I'm doing.

Until then, lets discuss any questions here.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: