search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Hans straps

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hans straps
Jim Daniels

Icon 14 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI

I was at Daytona and the Hans guy said my straps, 2 years old, needed to be replaced. Not sure the life of them but maybe you all need to have your Hans looked at from time to time.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, did yours have any fraying or visible wear? Did the HANS rep explain what he saw that indicated replacement was needed?

A lot of folks have HANS dealers nearby, but not all HANS dealers are likely qualified to inspect these straps and declare them safe or unsafe.
Does HANS have an inspection program?

Thanks,

Pat

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

J Sewell

Region: Florida
Car #: #48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for J Sewell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What is the best way to go with HANS straps for a SM? Fixed or the floating? Is there any advantage to either?

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

J - we'll have to wait a few weeks to get some real SM in-race experience with the new tether.

Can't imagine a disadvantage to the new system, but that's not the same as in-car experience...

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well...they did change them from polyester to nylon during this time so maybe that was the reasoning...

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Daniels:
FYI

I was at Daytona and the Hans guy said my straps, 2 years old, needed to be replaced. Not sure the life of them but maybe you all need to have your Hans looked at from time to time.

Did he mention a cost with that?

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Its probably like window nets and belts, the straps lose strength in the sunlight and heat.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Jim Daniels

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Jim, did yours have any fraying or visible wear? Did the HANS rep explain what he saw that indicated replacement was needed?

A lot of folks have HANS dealers nearby, but not all HANS dealers are likely qualified to inspect these straps and declare them safe or unsafe.
Does HANS have an inspection program?

Thanks,

Pat

For some reason Godaddy is not sending me the site notifications, sorry behind on posts and PMs.

Im not sure it is a program, he just said "looks weak Jim, Id replace it".

I wish I knew more or had a time schedule, not really wanting to flirt with how long they will last!!

I got them waiting for me at the track next week, did not ask cost, trying to avoid adding expenses up, to early in the year... [Smile] I will post it once I get back.

HBennett

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for HBennett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We recommend the tethers be replaced every two years if not involved in a crash. They should also be replaced if they are frayed or torn. Believe it or not, I spoke with a guy who had his MSD ignition box fray his tether because it was so close. I don't how he did not lobotimize himself.

The first way to check the tethers is if they don't have the FIA/SFI tag sewn onto them. SFI came our in October 2004. Saferacer should be able to provide you with replacement tethers. You can call Saferacer or us direct if you have any questions.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: