» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Bar Padding

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Bar Padding
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is the proper setup for cage padding to have SFI or FIA approved padding only in the areas subject to helmet contact? And then to use the slightly softer, high density, flame retardant padding in all of the other area subject to body contact? Or should the SFI/FIA padding be used everywhere?

Only one section of the GCR recommends the rated padding for all potential areas of contact. All other mentions are about helmet contact.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, IMO if an area needs to be padded then I say use good stuff for it... Why skimp and risk a dented head or busted ankle/wrist?

[ 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: John Mueller ]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was explained to me that when you hit your roll cage your body is kind of like a hammer hitting the tubing. I tried hitting the good padding with a hammer and didn't get through to the tubing. The previous owner had some of the "pipe insulation" style foam on the cage and when I hit that I got a very distinctive pinging sound.

I say use the good stuff. That's just my opinion. It's cheap enough insurance as John pointed out.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I guess the real question is, is SFI padding suitable for use where body parts (as opposed to a helmet) might make contact with the cage.

I read somewhere that SFI approved padding was designed for helmet to cage contact. Don't know whether this is suitable for body parts.

Want to use the right stuff, whatever the price.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

use the hard stuff.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is so slow mo video somewhere and the generic padding does next to nothing.. It compresses to nearly nothing... Use the hard stuff
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I concur. No question.
wheel

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Done! Thanks all.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Vick Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not to confuse the matter, and not that I've ever been bruised by my roll bar padding while getting into my car, but the boys at HMS seem to have a dual solution. Soft on the outside, hard on the inside. Please hold all cheeky comments.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/track-safety/rollbars/rollbar-padding

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh come on Vick. That just begs for cheeky comments! [yep]

I like that dual density concept. I was kind of flip flopping myself on whether the hard stuff or soft stuff would be better on my fleshy bits. That stuff you linked has some give but prevents you from compressing it all the way to the tubing.

Here's another one that looks pretty good (but spendy).

http://www.saferacer.com/longacre-door-bar-padding-mat.html?productid=1201

It lets your body energy distribute over a large area instead of just the padded tubes.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Vick Verified Driver

What, this is a serious and mature discussion forum, no? [laughing]

Been looking for the slow motion video that was alluded to but can't find anything. My hammer test and speaking to people in crashes was enough for me to go with the denser and harder padding. Of course other people's experiences have also led to me getting hood pins, thinking about redoing my cage, putting in a right hand side net.....etc. My car will wind up being high on safety and low on power and tires, but i'm ok with that.

--------------------

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking of the padding we use in planes. What we call "delethalization pads" (warm fuzzy term, no?) It's not as hard as the SFI stuff that you'd want near your head but most of the people we're trying to protect aren't wearing helmets.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is the same question I came on here to ask.

So consensus is to use the SFI padding around your helmet and softer stuff around your limbs????

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

R Hale Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 21
Year : 2008-1995 - 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R Hale   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You want to use the hard SFI padding everywhere. The soft padding doesn't work.

--------------------
Randy Hale
Hale Motorsports
Team Patron

Pack Fodder

The consensus on padding near your head is definately use the hard stuff.

I don't think there's a consensus on the rest of the padding other than don't use the really soft stuff. There is a wide range of padding that's softer than the really dense stuff ranging from spongy hot water pipe insulation to some pretty good stuff.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Matt Johnson Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 73
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is some new dual density stuff on the market by BSCI (If I remember correctly) that is a SFI rated (read hard) and shaped inner pad with a softer outer pad shaped like the FIA rated stuff. Sort of the best of both worlds.

I have used it in 4 vehicles at work and while it is a little on the heavy side I really like it. Also you can use just the inner padding where clearance is an issue.

Here is a link (note, just the first one that google popped up; no association with them, and I think I found it cheaper elsewhere):http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BSCI-DDpad&cat=105

--------------------
Matt Johnson
1990 SM #73 - yet another red miata.

Pack Fodder

I do think that dual density stuff is probably the best near your arms and legs. The softer part takes out the smaller jolts and the harder parts the bigger ones like a non-linear spring.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: