Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » HANS Sliding Tether

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: HANS Sliding Tether
Franckg Verified Driver

Region: SowDiv - Lone Star
Car #: 60
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Franckg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been using the normal tethers with quick release, I can't complaint too much about the motion constraints, but the sliding tether appears to be a nice feature - any comments? Negatives/ Positives?

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used the sliding tethers all last season, I love them, well let's say strongly like, after all I am married.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the non-sliding ones. How does one convert?

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Super easy. You unscrew and remove the mounts that hold the tethers in place. The sliding tethers come with a new set of mounts for the tether that allows them to slide which use teh same mounting spots. If you have the older style HANS posts which is pretty likely you should replace the washers on the inside of the helmet which is also very easy to do.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hans also has a new sliding quick release tether system that will be released next month.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Franckg Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Franckg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to upgrade. I have mixed feelings about the quick release as I have ended a couple of sessions with on side disconnected - not sure if I forgot to click it in properly (probably) or the strap was caught in the belt and released itself...

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Franckg:
Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to upgrade. I have mixed feelings about the quick release as I have ended a couple of sessions with on side disconnected - not sure if I forgot to click it in properly (probably) or the strap was caught in the belt and released itself...

Exactly why I got rid of my quick releases. The sliding tether is fantastic.

Steve D.

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I cut the QR straps so they are not long enough to get caught under the shoulder harness but still long enough to grab even with gloves on.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Franckg Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Kim Ouye:
I cut the QR straps so they are not long enough to get caught under the shoulder harness but still long enough to grab even with gloves on.

Good tip, I think it is a wise recommendation.

Jeff Wasilko

Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Wasilko     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Franckg:
I have been using the normal tethers with quick release, I can't complaint too much about the motion constraints, but the sliding tether appears to be a nice feature - any comments? Negatives/ Positives?

I love the sliding tether! I started out with the original fixed tethers, and switched out shortly after.

The sliding tether is so good I don't even notice I have the HANS on. There's no snagging or stopping.

-jeff

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Car #: 88
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wear a Hutchens Hybrid (LOVE it, but that's another thread!). I have quick releases on mine & simply have the tethers velcroed to the front of my helmet. Buckle in, stick tethers to helmet, drive. They don't get caught near the belts & are right where I need them, IF I ever need them!

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best thing since girls and sliced bread. Much better visibility. Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lutz:
Best thing since girls and sliced bread. Much better visibility. Jay

Agreed; replaced my QR tethers with the sliding tether kit before last weekend at Sebring, and the slider is a great improvement.

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone have any idea when the rumored quick release sliding tethers are going to be available?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ta da!

http://hansdevice.com/Quick-Click-Sliding-Tether-Upgrade-Kit

Looks like the old-style helmet mounts are obsolete.

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone tried these new "Quick Click" tethers yet? I know they are brand new...

I would like to ditch my non-sliding tethers but would like to hear some feedback on the "Quick Click" before deciding on that feature...

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have looked at them at PRI, but have not had the chance to try them. I was told at Sebring last week that they have been delayed until late April.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I too just switched to the sliding teather. I feel like I can look around a bit more, good for when I spin or Jatterbu is coming up in my rearview....

I ran the QR before. Honestly, I would never go back to them.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark McCallister:
Has anyone tried these new "Quick Click" tethers yet? I know they are brand new...

I would like to ditch my non-sliding tethers but would like to hear some feedback on the "Quick Click" before deciding on that feature...

I have the sliding tethers. Just find a way to get out of the car without disconnecting. I have a Racetech HR seat. I have found that I can slide my hips forward and go right out the left side without disconnecting.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Mark is talking about the new combination quick release/slider where the quick release attaches to the helmet. I have the sliding tethers which are great...the new system combines the advantages of the sliding tether with a quick release system.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mark

George at Speedcom told me he hopes to have them for the May National/ECR at Daytona.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Paul! I guess nobody has gotten them yet.

Here is a pic of the standard sliding tether upgrade kit:

-

Here is a pic of the new Click Link sliding tether upgrade kit:

-

I don't see the "old" quick release upgrade kit on their website, so I am guessing they are replacing that with the Quick Link. As per the comments above, I don't think the "old" quick release was widely liked. The Quick Link tether upgrade is $35 more than the standard. Whoever gets one and gives it a try, let us know what you think!

George told me he had never sold the old quick release to a miata driver...only the sliders. The part I don't like is that I bought the slider in October.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've used the original quick release for 3 years and love it. Makes getting in and out of the car much easier for me.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the quick releases on my original tethers, got rid of them when I went to the slider. I decided that I was nearly as quick at unlatching the tethers as I was pulling the cord.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got a set of the quick release sliding tethers directly from HANS earlier this week, so they are in retail channels now. I haven't actually used them yet, though, so I can't comment on how they work.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Does anyone happen to know how much the standard HANS helmet anchors weigh?

I just picked up the sliding tether upgrade, and got the "Quick-Click" style anchors. According to the kitchen scale the "Quick Click" anchors weigh 2 oz. each. They do look easy to use and strong. But I am curious to know how much more they weigh than the standard anchors.

Thanks..

I installed the quick release slider last month. the new releases are definitely heavier!

--------------------
Paul McLester

How many folks have bought the Quick-Clicks? Any +/- recommendations?

I have the Quick-clicks with the slider. I am going to change the orange pulls for the longer style. Other than that I like them.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will chime in here:

Sliding, quick-clicks from the beginning (guessing 7-8 events) and I couldn't imagine what wearing a HANS would have been like w/o them! [Big Grin]

Only complaint I have is I can't look over my right shoulder to check while backing up but that's what you have "crew" for, eh?

Regarding the pulls/releases - I've not had them get caught under the belt or device so can't confirm what others have experienced.

However, I will say, with these QC's and the sliding tether you MUST get the tether "clicked" w/o any twist in it. I've gone out a couple of times to find it greatly increases the amount of force to pull the tether through the slider. It made me think my helmet was catching on something else...

HTH,
Brandon

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just used mine for the first time this past weekend, only issue was that I got ahold of one of the orange release straps once when buckling my helmet and released one side of the tether, otherwise no problems, great head movement.

Greg

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: