Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Impact Racing HANS shoulder belts- OK?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Impact Racing HANS shoulder belts- OK?
Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like many, I need new belts this season and since I live in Indy I dropped by Impact in Brownsburg to see what they have that is HANS compatible. Their version of the 3"(at the camlock), 2" (at the HANS), 3" at the roll bar tubing is much different and frankly I'm not sure I like it much. They use both a traditional 3" shoulder belt with a 2" belt on top. So the layering at the shoulder looks like this: shoulder, 3" belt, HANS, 2" belt. The 2" belt is on top of the 3" belt with the HANS inbetween. The attachment for the 2" belt is just north of the camlock and it ties to roll cage behind the driver inboard of both 3" wraps around the tube. Does anyone use this belt and have comments?? What I don't like is that in a forward impact some of the force preventing the HANS from slipping would be absorbed by the 3" belt....making the 2" belt less effective in holding the HANS in place. Thoughts or am I over analyzing this deal???

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just called HANS in Atlanta and they say these type belts were first brought out by Schroth in Europe....and they offer improved stability on your shoulders. Primarily for very extreme applications not really SM territory. Regardless......I am curious what real users feel about this design. Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have the special HANS belts but looked into them when they came out (Schroth).

Part of why they came out was the WRC guys were required to wear the HANS and the belts kept slipping off.

The real cause of this is that they didn't remove the pads they had on the belts that were there to pad the collar bones. The pads were no longer required since the HANS is padded and the belt pads didn't even touch the drivers any more, but old habits die hard. The pads acted as a bearing and promoted the slipping off of the belts.

Schroth came up with the 2" belts and told the WRC guys to lose the pads, and the "problem" was solved.

As a guy who can drag a rope through the Mohave and get it wrapped around a tree, the 2 layer design sounds like a tangled mess.

I use 3" belts on mine with no issues.

One of the sponsors here even sells a set of 6 pt. camlock belts, 5 year FIA rated, for around $140. I have them and they are just fine.

Greg

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lutz:
Like many, I need new belts this season and since I live in Indy I dropped by Impact in Brownsburg to see what they have that is HANS compatible. Their version of the 3"(at the camlock), 2" (at the HANS), 3" at the roll bar tubing is much different and frankly I'm not sure I like it much. They use both a traditional 3" shoulder belt with a 2" belt on top. So the layering at the shoulder looks like this: shoulder, 3" belt, HANS, 2" belt. The 2" belt is on top of the 3" belt with the HANS inbetween. The attachment for the 2" belt is just north of the camlock and it ties to roll cage behind the driver inboard of both 3" wraps around the tube. Does anyone use this belt and have comments?? What I don't like is that in a forward impact some of the force preventing the HANS from slipping would be absorbed by the 3" belt....making the 2" belt less effective in holding the HANS in place. Thoughts or am I over analyzing this deal???

If I had those belts, I would be late to grid even more times than I was last year [Frown] It's fun being an ass man, but you know you've got a reputation when you get a year end trohpy [Wink]

http://www.specmiatavideos.com/compilations/smstarts08.wmv

I have the Schroth 2" lap / 2" shoulder, and love them, mostly for the fact that it's easier to get the lap belt really snug.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The two-layer belts sound like a complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

I believe, especially with safety equipment, that it should be as SIMPLE as possible to hook up and/or activate. Misused safety equipment is about as good as no safety equipment. Case in point - I always keep my Hans attached to my helmet and I put them on as a unit so I have no chance of twisting a connector or hooking it up only half way or wrong.

As Bruce pointed out, even with the best intentions, you're going to be late to grid some time and trying to wrangle the HANS in between two belts and then tightening two separate shoulder belts on each side, well, the chances for something being just a little wrong and compromising the whole system increases with complexity.

Just one guy's opinion who's never actually used the product in question. [Smile]

Cheers,

Dean

EDIT - forgot to give another vote to the Schroth 2" shoulder and lap belts. I cringe every time I have to get into a car that has any other belt system. I LOVE my Schroths!!!

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the Safecraft 2"/3" 6 pt HANS system which stays on my HANS and has the best hardware I have seen (forged aluminum).

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I also have just purchased the Safecraft. A bit more expensive, but well worth the money. The new design of being able to tighten the lap belts from the cam lock in awesome, and makes getting the lap belts as tight as you want it very easy. Combine that with some of the best hardware in the business and makes for a great product.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike888:
I also have just purchased the Safecraft. A bit more expensive, but well worth the money. The new design of being able to tighten the lap belts from the cam lock in awesome, and makes getting the lap belts as tight as you want it very easy. Combine that with some of the best hardware in the business and makes for a great product.

Totally agree!! The 2" lap belts are more comfortable and safer than the 3" belts. The Safecraft stuff is amazingly well made and simply better than anything else I have tried. Will never go back.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got the Safecraft belts as well, and agree that having the lap adjusters near the camlock is MUCH better for getting the lap belts tight. My shoulder belts are 3" wide, and I don't have any issues with my Hans because of it; the double-layer 2"/3" shoulder belts sound like they could be a problem if you have to exit the car quickly - I'm not sure I want to risk getting tangled in the shoulder belts based on the over/under design described.

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On the Safecraft belts, is the camlock attached to the sub belt or the lap belt?

Are the sub straps adjustable only at the attachment point? Or are they like the Schroth Profi where they can be adjusted at 2 points.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Safecraft camlock is attached to the sub belt, and is adjustable only at the attachment points (I have a 6-point harness so there are 2 sub straps) - not at the camlock end.

Granted it makes adjustment of the sub belt(s) more difficult, but that isn't much of a concern for me; getting the lap belts tight however has been a problem in the past, but not with the Safecraft belts.

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unless you change drivers, the sub is set once and should never need to be touched anyway. My Safecraft go to 2" at the hans and there is no issue at all with getting out.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sub-belt adjusters does sound like a nice feature. Sure is a pain...

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: