Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Hearing protection/earphones

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hearing protection/earphones
Alex36 Verified Driver

Region: SW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex36     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone have recommendations on earphones that also provide noise isolation?
In particular, what are you experiences in custom molded ($$$!) vs regular earphones?
It seems custom molded are >$100, but in ear isolation can be found for $50.

Alex

Mike888 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NJ
Car #: 12
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike888   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I currently own both that I purchased from Racing Electronics. The non custom ear pieces gave me good sound but the fit was a bit uncomfortable. Not too uncomfortable you couldn't last a SM race, but they would tend to move when you put your helmet on. The custom ear piece fit absolutely perfect. They are very comfortable and block out almost all noise except for your spotter. However, I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't here the car very well, so I compromised. Now I use the custom ear pieces but I only where 1, my right ear. I just tuck the other one in my suit. For me, this is the best of both worlds. Great comfort, great sound, and I can still hear the car out of the left ear. The other guys I race with,including my brother, don't have a problem with hearing the car, they wear both and love the custom ear phones from Racing Electronics. From racing elec. the difference in price is not all that big. I wouldn't mess with the universal fit. I keep my non customs for a spare.

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For less than $20 I got a product called podfitkit. You take a pair of some old but working earpieces (I used a pair of the ipod earbuds and shaved off the plastic extension that contains the cord), mix up the silicone based "podfitkit" stick the earbuds comfortably in your ears (remember not to have the earpieces extend out of your ear due to the pressure your helmet will place on them.) then pack the podfitkit around the earpieces to fill up rest of the outside of your ear. In a couple of minutes you have custom molded earphones that block out most of the noise and provides great sound.
They have lasted 4 years now.

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Couldnt find the podfitkit anymore but google: blubuds

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

http://www.cowboy45special.com/D_I_Y_Custom_Earplugs.html

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Found these a while ago. I haven't tried them but the price is good.

http://www.earfuze.com/product.html

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you may want to peruse some motorcycle forums; this is a common problem in that application. etymotics are commonly recommended (off the shelf). if there is a motorcycle show near you, there is almost always a vendor doing custom fit plugs. an upside of that is if you go on friday afternoon, you can sit and watch tv friday night with your helmet on and see how they feel. if not perfect, you can go back the next day and have them fix 'em up.

all that said, for whatever reason i can not wear in-ear 'speakers'. i've tried 5-6 different ones, but they all hurt after 20-30 minutes. you can get in-helmet speakers that mount inside the liner as an alternative.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

tLinder

Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you ever try the EarFuze?
quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by amolaver:
you can sit and watch tv friday night with your helmet on and see how they feel.

Kind of like this? http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/gallerie...the-stig/05/mainImage.jpg

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No I find the squish-em-up foam buds fit my ears quite comfortably so no need.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just saw this thread, but I'll add my 2 cents...

My wife is an audiologist & has been making my custom molds for years: regular plugs for when I'm in the car or mowing the lawn, musicians' plugs which are great for concerts and of course, my molds for my helmet/radio.

The comfort level is so much better than generic fits and foamies.

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1/2 pound of silicone putty costs about $20 delivered and will make custom molds for you and a few friends.

While it would be nice, you don't need John's wife. [Smile]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Pack Fodder

Silly Putty is only $2 [Razz]

(edit: There is a trick to the foam buds. With one hand, grab the top of your ear, pull up and back. That straightens out your ear canal so the bud will slip right in.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The squish foamy ones didn't work for me, they didn't want to say in.

The semi custom ones don't block outside noise much at all.

I went to an audiologist (hearing aid shop) and got molds made. Then sent them to Racing Electronics and they made up custom ear buds. Total cost was about $200. I trimmed the depth that mine go into my ear a bit. This made them much more comfortable.

This has gone down as one of the best racing investments I ever made, hands down.

You can hear the car better with these in (less distortion) than you can without them. And I'm much more comfortable during and after the race.

Don't do as I did (trying non custom). Go right for the professional custom ear buds. You will not be sorry.

-Kyle

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
No I find the squish-em-up foam buds fit my ears quite comfortably so no need.

Me too, but no radio here.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

tLinder

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I bought the EarFuze. Plan to use them for the first time this w/e, so stay tuned for a review.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The EarFuze is $5 cup of silicone putty and a set of earbuds.

You'll love the finished product.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: