next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Nice Cage

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Nice Cage
wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brought this one over from the AS site. Turn 8 at Hallett, leading into the "bitch".

http://jalopnik.com/5390934/mustang-...over-tire-wall

wheel

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That cage must have been welded from the finest seamed exhaust tubing!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think the roll bar (looks like a single hoop) held up just fine. The fact that it punched straight through the floor of the car probably kept it from getting bent. Good thing the occupants didn't get get punched through the floor of the car too.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Phil Mather Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Insert witty title here...

Region: Detroit
Car #: 06
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Phil Mather   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you look closely at pic #'s 8 and 9, the cage punched thru the floor. it was a bolt in cage from what the description said.

--------------------
Phil

Support SpecMiata.com-Buy a CG-Lock!

http://www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com/specmiata

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WOW! He lost control after the uphill climb to turn 8. Probably lost traction at the crest of the hill. Sure carried a lot of speed to jump two tire barriers!

I love Hallett. It is one of the safest and most challenging tracks I've been on (not that many if you are wondering).

He or she just missed Hallett's other safety wall barrier (the white padding). I wonder what the outcome would have been if the car had hit that?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree. The cage poked through the floor where it was bolted, or welded, to sheet metal. No steel plate pads. He, and his passenger, are lucky they aren't in wheel chairs for the rest of their lives.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
WOW! He lost control after the uphill climb to turn 8. Probably lost traction at the crest of the hill.

Or literally forgot exactly which way the track goes as he was cresting the hill... I have come in there way off line and by the time you realize it, it's too late. [Eek!] never got to the tires, but did some nice agricultural driving there in 06 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I've seen Asselta try that there also

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Johnson:

Many a Hallett veteran has had a close encounter with that wall, your truly included. Ask Mac about his ride out there... [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Johnson:

That's Mr. Unsafe to you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

When I saw this, I knew you guys would love it. I have had the Big Kahuna trailer paddocked about where he ended up. At least Unsafe got half way around the corner, before he hit the tires. Drago's deal was a walk (drive) in the park, compared to this.
I hit that tire wall, back in the day, when they ran the track clockwise for the double points MidAm race, at the end of the season. But, even then, Nobody has gone quite that far over.
wheelman

Late reports indicate that the 6'3" driver is now listed at 5'8" and is thinking about racing a Spec Miata.

Steve Johnson Verified Driver

Region: KC Region
Car #: 41
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mac? Shit, he has hit everything in the division, and most things twice!

--------------------
Stephen Johnson
#41 Mid-Div

runs_wscissors

Icon 1 posted  Profile for runs_wscissors     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Seriously guys, I'm new to the spec Miata board and am interested in building something safe for track events. I would also like to drive the car to events so I can skip the tow vehicle/trailer.

Other posts say it's unsafe to drive car with a cage on the street without a helmet. So, I'll just go with a SCCA approved roll hoop like the Hard Core bar and properly pad it. Is that type of bar going to be enough protection in a track event roll over like we see here? It looks like the A pillar just gives right on the driver in crashed Miata pictures from the web.

I plan on using a proper racing seat and 5/6point harness as well.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

runs_wscissors,

First welcome to the site. The car in the pics above was a track day car, not a properly prepared race car. You can judge the safety of a bolt in cage from the pictures. I have never seen what I would consider a safe bolt in cage.

When I was a new guy like you seem to be I thought the bolt in cages were safe. After a few years in, no way I will ever get on a track with one...

Good luck and hope you have some fun with us soon.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RWS-
I started with a long post and then shortened it. And it's still not very short. [Smile]

If I were going to go end over end like that, I'd want all the safety gear I could buy. Good news is that's rare.

A good SCCA Solo 1 rated bar is what I think you're looking at installing for now. One like the Boss Frog or the Hard Dog bars have a very large footprint and massive tubing to prevent the bar from colapsing or shoving itself through your car. That car seemed poorly outfitted for what it was doing.

It's dangerous though without a helmet to have a proper roll bar or cage and no helmet even with padding. You have big massive "I ain't gonna give for nothin" tubing very near your head. More so with a good harness on the street since now your head is kind of confined to an area near the bar. The cage adds extra tubing along the side of your head. Roll bar padding is designed to mitigate the blow from your helmet, not your skull.

I still drive my car on the street from time to time. Did it when I still had a S1 bar, still do it with the cage once and a while. I'm pretty darn conservative though compared to being strapped in with a helmet, corner workers, and all the other safety things in place. I don't want to smack my head on the bars. Padded or not, would you rather be hit in the head with a padded baseball bat on your thinly padded skull, or have a helmet on?

Long story short, you can still drive it on the street. You'll never want to drive it in traffic like you do on the track anyway and you never have to.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

End result is pretty scary. Lucky that the driver is alive.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

runs_wscissors

Icon 1 posted  Profile for runs_wscissors     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.bethania-garage.com/images/crash.jpg

http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials.htm

Thanks Casey Z for the welcome. I've learned a lot from this forum already and really appreciate the resource.

I found these pictures of Miatas with only roll hoops and I'm surprised how far the A-pillar has made it's way into the drivers compartment. I am assuming a bolted on hard top does little to strengthen it. At least these show a properly installed bar will support the weight of the car.

From other suggestions I might be inclined to put a roll hoop in a non-convertible car for my streetable track car project.

If things go well I'd step up to a Miata race rental.

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RWS,

The hard top does help in a situation like this. It isn't structural, but it provides a bearing area for the roll bar and keeps it from sinking into the ground as you roll (think snowshoe). If you spin off track into a soft area, say pea gravel for instance, your tires can dig in as you slide sideways and you can find yourself on the roof. Unfortunately, the roll bar would also sink into the gravel. Depending upon the situation, this could result in your head hitting the ground even if the bar does its job. The hard top helps prevent this.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: