Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Polyester vs. nylon - need new harness

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Polyester vs. nylon - need new harness
Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Before anyone shouts "SEARCH BUTTON!" I did do a search for both identifying terms (poly, polyester, & nylon) and came back with the same 3 threads from 2005 debating the merits between an ISAAC & HANS head restraints - not what I'm looking for (already have a HANS [Smile] ).

My question centers on the specific differences between polyester vs. nylon and their respective merits/detractions.

Next question would be does a harness have to be "HANS compatible" to work with a modern HANS (mine was purchased in 2009)?

I see that Sparco has a "HANS compatible" 3" wide shoulder belt 6-point harness that narrows down enough for HANS use - is this necessary (or helpful) when used with a HANS?

Obviously a wider belt is better when it comes to spreading the force of an impact on the body so any 2" end-to-end system is "out" for me.

Anyone have any other opinions/thoughts on this one? Need to be ready by the March double-school.

*big grin*

Thanks!
Brandon

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Unless you intend to do about 200 mph and hit a wall, I don't think there is really any difference. Even then, any of the legal belts will serve pretty much as well as any other.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run the Schroth Profi II-6 HANS and love it. I got one with pull UP lap belts which makes it much easier to get the lap belts tight while strapped into the car. The cam release is nice too. I use surgical tubing on the lap belts so I don't have fish them out from underneath my arse every time I get into the seat.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2" belts are actually safer in some cases... especially for lap belts.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i replaced my sparco/sabelt set with a gforce PRO (emphasis added while giggling) 6 pt. couldn't be happier. it was less than $200. while i think pull ups are easier, once adjusted, i never mess with the lap belts once i got things set up - just the shoulder belts get loosened to unlatch. i THINK gforce's pull up was SFI while the pull down was FIA (2yr replacement vs 5 i think). i think the gforce is significantly nicer than the sparco/sabelt.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nylon stretches a bit when wet. It just means you have to re-tighten if you sweat a lot. IIRC one also has nicer properties during an impact.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

TSouth Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincinnati
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TSouth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm a fan of the Willans harness, though a little pricey. They are polyester, which stretches less.

Here's some of their own hype:
http://www.willans.com/faqs/

Only other I've used is the G-Force Pro.

sirois737 Verified Driver

Region: OVR
Car #: 37
SMIM: n/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sirois737   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is a copy and paste from Wikipedia

"Seat Belts are an obvious example of webbings used in auto safety but there are myriad other uses. Nylon and Polyester webbing are used a great deal in auto racing safety for a large variety of items. Racing harnesses restraining the driver have used Nylon webbing for years, but since the death of Dale Earnhardt Polyester webbing is becoming more popular due to its increased strength, and lower rate of elongation under load. The Nylon commercial type 9 webbing generally used in racing harnesses stretches approximately 20-30% of its initial length at 2500 lb (11.1 Kn)) while Polyester only stretches 5% -15%."

--------------------
Den

bigfred Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for bigfred     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use a Schroth with the three inch shoulder belts. It still works with the Hans although it is wider. We thought that if we forgot our Hans device we could still run with the three inch wide belts. After four years of using the Hans, it would be uncomfortable at first i'm sure. The schroth seems to still work smoothly after 20+ weekends.
Al
AARG 96

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Still using a G-Force. Think they bare a great bargain and an unbelievable system for the $

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My G-Force FIA belts have expired, so I have to get new ones before March.

My seat seems built for five-point harnesses, since it has one slot for one belt between the legs.

I want to be as safe as is reasonable, given that we don't go as fast as NASCAR, but losing one's brakes can result in an unpleasant surprise at 120mph.

I'm willing to pay what is reasonably necessary to get what I decide is the most appropriate set for me, but I have no desire to pay more than I need to pay.

I also use a HANS, so I wonder about 2" vs. 3" (along with 5-pt vs. 6-pt).

Belts come in such a wide variety of prices, styles and features, it's pretty bewildering.

Any good advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

--Mark

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Go with the six point belts. The anti-sub belts go thru the lap belt holes and support you so much better than a 5 point system. I use the safecraft hybrid 2" into 3" shoulder belts with the 2" lap belts which go over my Hans easier. http://www.safecraft.com/product_page_detail.asp?P...SubCatID=14&menu=&Search=

Call Steve Baker at Safecraft and see if he will still do the club racer discount for sending in your SFI tags from your old belts.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark,
There will be people who like one brand or another but if I were shopping for new belts today, this would be my line of thinking...

2" lap belts reportedly do a better job of placing the load on your hip bones which take much more abuse than your squishy bits so I'd go with 2" lap belts.

I'd prefer 3" shoulder belts or the combination 2-3" inch belts. Your hans shoulder supports will help distribute the load to a broader area of your shoulders. You don't have many bones in your abdomen so I'd like 3" belts there for sure.

A sub-belt in a road car isn't supposed to keep you from actually submarining under the belt like if you're laying prone in a formula car. It's designed to keep your other belts in place. A 6-point belt will help it do that better in offcenter impacts which are more common than straight on. Plus you don't drop the sub strap down the seat hole and I find them more comfortable. If you only have one hole in your seat you may be stuck with a 5-point.

Then there are creature comforts you may or may not want. I think pull down straps on my shoulder belt are easy enough to deal with. You're thin like me and without much girth, some belts/seats result in the adjustors too close to the side of the seat making them tough to get tight. Tight is good if you crash. If you like tight belts and struggle with your lap belt, look for ones that are designed to make the lap belt easy to snug up.

Cost is relative. Your hans cost more than a really good harness. Consider the cost of a set of tires and how long they last or how many gallons of gas = a top notch harness. The harness is one of your most important safety devices so that's one place I'd be willing to pay a bit more for safety.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Current data shows that you do not want 3" lap belts, they tend to get above the iliac crests and distribute load into the soft, squishy abdominal bits. The 2" lap belts ride lower on the pelvic girdle, focusing the load on bony tissue...

I really appreciate my Safecraft harnesses!!

--------------------

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Current data shows that you do not want 3" lap belts, they tend to get above the iliac crests and distribute load into the soft, squishy abdominal bits.

Source? Schroth says this on their website, but I'm wondering if anyone's saying this other than manufacturer of harnesses with 2" lap belts.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not going to believe ituntil I hear it from Greg Baker!

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

not to beat a dead horse...but keith in wa brought up the 'The harness is one of your most important safety devices so that's one place I'd be willing to pay a bit more for safety'. while i agree with the sentiment, if the belts meet FIA rules, its good enough for much heavier and faster cars. IMO, the gforce belts are the best bang for the buck out there, and build quality is excellent. that said, there certainly are potential reasons to buy other brands like NOT made in china..

and i LIKE the 3" belts all around. i'll admit that at DE's i will occasionally go out w/o the HANS, and the 3" shoulders are waaaay more comfy.

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Current data shows that you do not want 3" lap belts, they tend to get above the iliac crests and distribute load into the soft, squishy abdominal bits.

Source? Schroth says this on their website, but I'm wondering if anyone's saying this other than manufacturer of harnesses with 2" lap belts.
I'll try to find a link to the study. It was done for or by the FIA in response to some pretty serious internal/abdominal injuries associated with lap belts. It was sled work, I think with cadavers. Argh... my Googling skills aren't working today. It was independent, scholarly research, not that RSI-style stuff.

Oh... it's not just Schroth who touts the benefits: Willans, Safecraft...

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The best I could find is a bunch of research on "Seat Belt Syndrome" in childeren. Adult size belts don't work with people smaller than about 4'9". What none of them say is whether that's because the belt is too wide for the smaller hips, the mounting points create the wrong angles for kids, or some combination of the two.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use Crow. Good price, great product. I have used 2 set so far with great results. The owner, Fred Crow, is VERY helpful. I mistakenly ordered pull-downs instead of pull-ups. He exchanged them without question. I use the 3" wide shoulder harnesses with the narrowed, to 2", section for HANS. Works well. Very pleasant to deal with and made in the USA.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

HANS does not require 2" belts. 3" belts are fine from that standpoint.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: