Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Schroth Profi II legal?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Schroth Profi II legal?
mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is the schroth Profi II 6 point harness with the 2 inch lap belts SCCA legal? If so does anyone have any experience with it? Is it better than the 3 inch lap belts?

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Two inch laps are legal in SCCA. They are excellent belts.

I run the SafeCraft harness that is of a similar configuration and they are just wonderful.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Derek Luney Verified Driver

Region: NCR
Car #: 40
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Derek Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just replaced an older set of Schroth belts with 3 inch lap belts with new 2 inch belts. They are big improvement. More comfortable. Easier to get tight.

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I purchased the Schroth's and they came with the snap in brackets (clip-in belts with eyelet hole bolts) for the lap belts. Are these legal for SCCA?

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep, just make sure you run a cotter pin through the hole. I had the same thing and they checked mine for that.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

mghenwood

Dusty, did you run your 6-point sub straps through the same holes in the seat that the lap belts go through, and then snap them into the lap belt eyelets? Is that legal?

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:
Dusty, did you run your 6-point sub straps through the same holes in the seat that the lap belts go through, and then snap them into the lap belt eyelets? Is that legal?

Legal and often preferred.

--------------------

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:

Legal and often preferred.
So you're sitting on the sub straps? Why is this preferred?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have run 6-point belts both ways. Both have their pros and cons. I understand the rationale behind 7-point belts now. I preferred the subs going to the lap belt anchors because they really hold you very well to the seat. The only thing that's a little weird is that when braking hard (and I imagine in head-on collision) it feels like they lift you a bit...or allow you to lift rather. The 6 point config attached to the floor doesn't feel as secure but the lap stays better located. I think a 7-point with subs going to lap belt anchors and a single anchor doing under the seat would be best.

Finally, the biggest problem for me was that my seat was mounted directly to the floor so it was very difficult to mount anchors under the seat. Some manufacturers tell you to mount the subs to the floor only. IIRC that is why I had my last set mounted like that, they were Schroth Profi-II also.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't really like that idea personally. If you're upside down with both straps going through the lap belt holes, it seems to mek that both the sub and lap belts can rotate upwards, loosening the shoulder belts and the roof is a bit close to your head for that.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

mghenwood

Question, I tried to mount the snap brackets for the lap belts and the sub belts to the same eye-hole bolt, but you can't fit two snap brackets on the same eye-hole, which came with the schroth kit. Can I get ones with bigger holes anywhere?

mghenwood

If you mount both the lap belts and sub straps to the same location what hardware should be used as it doesn't seem to allow you to mount two snap brackets to one eye-hole?

mghenwood

Any advice anyone?

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was advised against using the clips and eyebolts and ordered the new ends that just bolt directly to the car floor pan.

--------------------
Michael Ross

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does this belt require the use of a Hans device, in SCCA?

--------------------
Jerry

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

a 2 " shoulder harness does require a hans or defender i believe, and is not to be run without one.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

FastM3 Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Schroth sub belts should go to the floor. They have to be very short. HMS Motorsport can help make up very short sub straps. The intent of the sub belt is to hold the lap belt in position so it cannot ride up. As mentioned earlier the sub going to the lap belt mounting point does not hold you in place as well during a roll over.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/schroth-competition/profi/profi-II

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

mghenwood

Yeah I actually purchased the belts from HMS and they are sending me new hardware to hard mount them under the seat through the floor (for free might I add, thanks guys). Let's hope I can get it all done in time for Friday's tech inspection at the NJMP Driver School.

FastM3 Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Use the story and picture on page 43 and 44 of
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Competition_Instructions.pdf
for mounting the sub belts. A real pain to get set up. Watch the way the webbing is routed and don't be afraid to send pictures and ask questions of the HMS guys if it does not make sense when you are swearing at the car doing the install.

I had to open up the seat hole to not interfere with the straps. Don't forget to make sure there are no sharp edges where the belts go through the seat. I also bought their under-floor mounting pads.

Good Luck and have fun at the school.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

Joyof6

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joyof6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Is the schroth Profi II 6 point harness with the 2 inch lap belts SCCA legal? If so does anyone have any experience with it? Is it better than the 3 inch lap belts?

the 2 inch belt is specific to the Hans device. there is a warning label on the shoulder harness

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Joyof6:
quote:

the 2 inch belt is specific to the Hans device. there is a warning label on the shoulder harness
The 2" lap belts have nothing to do with the HANS. The narrows shoulder harnesses are HANS specific.

--------------------

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just installed those belts in my car. After using them for the weekend I will never go back. No more wrestling around trying to get in your car. The lap belts and shoulder straps can be tightened with 2 fingers and released just as easy. The other benefit is that you can get the belts very tight if you like. The belts are a bit pricy but well worth the money.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Joyof6

Region: Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joyof6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:
Originally posted by Joyof6:
quote:

The 2" lap belts have nothing to do with the HANS. The narrows shoulder harnesses are HANS specific.
Whoops, my mistake. I re read it and missed the lap part. I do have the 2 inch Profi on all 6 straps and like it for the adjustment ease. Promise I will read more carefully in the future

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: