Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » Neck Support Collar with Hans?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Neck Support Collar with Hans?
mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can you still run a neck support collar with the Hans device? Any specific brand that works better if so? I know sparco has many variations.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why?

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't know if it was a requirement for SCCA, sorry I am new to this. Just covering my bases.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think HANS recommends against this idea.

No one requires it.

mghenwood

Thanks for the help guys.

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

GM Racing showed us some of their crash videos a few years back when they were doing work with the HANS vs. neck collars. The neck collars on their own were pretty useless and usually ended up stuffed up inside the driver's helmet on the crash dummy.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw a safety presentation where the neck collars acted as a fulcrum to snap the neck during certain types of accidents. They are fine for Karting, where the driver is usually thrown out, but I wouldn't wear one in a race car.

R Hale Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 21
Year : 2008-1995 - 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R Hale   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I sell HANS and when though their training in Atlanta, do not use the neck collar and the HANS at the same time.

--------------------
Randy Hale
Hale Motorsports
Team Patron

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: