Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Safety » SFI DeCertifies all Impact Products (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: SFI DeCertifies all Impact Products
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bridge the steel wool across the battery terminals and it catches fire. If you don't have any steel wool handy, bridge an old broken tape measure across the battery terminals of your car and that will catch fire too. Then go drink beer around the fire all night, cook yourself a can of beans and throw the empty can in the fire. You'll be picking the steel can out of the fire you started with steel in the morning.

(Actually, please do not try the above. Fire is dangerous. By all means, do not throw a full can of beans into the fire as it can explode showering people with scalding hot beans. Also do not throw your empty can of WD-40 into the fire, old boxes of primers, cans of black powder, etc. Just remember what Somkey said and be safe with fire please.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm pretty sure that was some kind of explanation.

Do I win a prize?

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wait...I thought we were talking about soup? Does it matter what kind of soup?

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Zauskycop:
Wait...I thought we were talking about soup? Does it matter what kind of soup?

The only soup worth talking about is Chili, Texas style. Discuss.

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thatís my simple example showing that just because I can easily demonstrate one thing with a material, be careful of what you think you can interpret from that.

SFI says the tests show that the thread in question melts and that can make the garments fall apart. That FTMS test, takes a very small sample of material to determine the melt point of synthetic fibers of a single type. What the test doesnít do is say how that thread behaves in the complete material. You might think that you can look at the results of that test and know how it will behave in the finished product.

You can make a little bit of steel burn easily so a lot should burn really well right? You can test a thread and know how it will act woven into a fabric? The answer to both questions is no. IMHO that test is being misused. I know of other tests where you actually put the product into a test fixture at a certain temperature for a given time to see if it melts or falls apart.

Donít get me wrong, thereís definitely more going on in this certification debacle. Iím not defending Impact but I can sure see how they would argue with SFI over the science part.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, so you were sober when you wrote that. I'll let you convince my wife next time you see her. [Smile]

You have to talk slow for us simple types. [Smile]

Pack Fodder

I'd had a really long week dealing with test data related stuff. (It made perfect sense to me since I knew what I meant.)
[tipsy]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: